Ordered Octavia Scout but may cancel

I ordered a CR TDI Scout back in early September 2010 whilst the VAT free offer was on. I have since been given at least 4 different build dates, each time moving later and later. The latest (uncomfirmed) build date is now 22 March but this is purely speculative. Even if it is built then I was told by SUK that delivery wouldn't be for another 4 weeks. This is absurb, I keep being told that demand is causing the delay, however I've never seen another on the road!!

In the meantime I've been forced to look at alternatives and I've just been offered a new Seat Exeo ST Tech with the same engine, leather, sat nav, bose etc. for £18995. Delivery almost immediately.

What thoughts has anyone on the Seat? My only concern is that the boot isn't as large and residuals will be poor.

Simon

19 grand for an old shape A4, will lose money like a stone, only seen 3 on the road, be patient, you will have a much better car that will hold its value and you have a 11 plate now :thumbup:

I've a CR Scout on order too; ordered 22nd Nov while the VAT offer was on and have no build date. It was build week 19 but no longer showing one. I know it's a long wait (I was quoted 26 weeks) but have you seen the price if you were to order one now? I did and even via DTD (who I ordered through) I'd be paying £2600 more than I did in Nov. There's a demand and if I no longer wanted my car I'd still get it and look to sell it on with zero miles on the clock, I'm sure I'd not end up out of pocket :)

What thoughts has anyone on the Seat? My only concern is that the boot isn't as large and residuals will be poor.

Simon

Co-incidentally, I'm wondering about a used Exeo ST as a replacement for my Roonster. Two year old ones are very good value, because they depreciate quickly, though you seem to be getting a good deal to mitigate that problem. Incidentally, latest models, from build week 5 in 2011, have improved rear leg space.

From my perspective, the poor residuals mean that I can get a very well specced estate, comparable to Elegance goodies, with the 143ps 2.0 CR engine, 18 months old and 12K on the clock at less than £15K. Can't see Octys at that price. But as for buying new . . . .

Stuart

Thanks for the replies. Not sure about badge snobbery, after all isn't that the anti image Skoda is trying to extinguish? Also note that the Seat is an old A4 model, but isn't tne Octavia due a replacement soon? I've seen this shape with 54 plate meaning that this model is 7 years old. The build quaility of the Seat is much higher, the carpet in the boot is superior for example. Also the emissions are less so is tax.

If the boot was bigger and it was slightly better looking it would win. The trouble is in my boredom of waiting I've accumulated a tow bar and other bits and pieces for the Scout so it would not make financial sense to change now.

I ordered a CR TDI Scout back in early September 2010 whilst the VAT free offer was on. I have since been given at least 4 different build dates, each time moving later and later. The latest (uncomfirmed) build date is now 22 March but this is purely speculative. Even if it is built then I was told by SUK that delivery wouldn't be for another 4 weeks. This is absurb, I keep being told that demand is causing the delay, however I've never seen another on the road!!

In the meantime I've been forced to look at alternatives and I've just been offered a new Seat Exeo ST Tech with the same engine, leather, sat nav, bose etc. for £18995. Delivery almost immediately.

Simon

simon, i am in exactly the same situation - ordered end of Sept, no Build Week confirmed, Scout 2.0 CR - but have decided to stick with it because it is indeed meant to be a great car but also because it is a very sound investment, as other people have pointed out. Driving cars will only get more expensive so i'd rather drive something which doesn't depreciate as fast

Think the Scout is a different animal to the Exeo. I've had a standard Octavia 2.0TDI (PD) Elegance and now have a CR Scout. The Scout rides far better than the old car, but it is a bit slower off the mark - combination of the extra weight, transmission losses and characteristics of the new engine. I have been very surprised that the Scout uses less fuel than the old one - relatively easy to get an indicated 50mpg - which is reflected in the lower emissions for the new engine - 155g/km. The offroad ability is great - it was nice to have fun in the snow rather than worry about completing journeys.

I'm pretty attached to the Scout - it's a really capable family car and the wife and kids love it, so I would stick with your current order, but I guess there are lots of Seat owners that would say the same.

Edited by London Les

Get the scout, sell it for a profit as soon as it arrives and buy an 18m old Seat with the proceeds.

Put the money you've made and the money you've saved towards whatever you enjoy doing the most :)

If it's any help, I've got a 4 year old (i.e. old shape) A4 S Line quattro 170PD as well as a 140PD Scout. Dynamically, the A4 is better but with today's poor road surfaces the joy of driving is diminished dodging all the pot holes. For me, whilst not handling as well (for obvious reasons) the Scout does everything prett well for not a lot of money. If I had to choose one, it would be the Scout I'd choose. You also get a lot of helpful advice from this forum, although I don't know if the same can be said on SEAT forums. If you do decide to go the SEAT route, (and on paper its a compelling argument based on the current support on ST Tech), there will undoubtedly be people on the forum eager to purchase your accessories.

Hi thanks again, the dealer suggested that I would be entitled to the full £300 from Skoda UK but didn't say what form this would be. I've got a caravan ready to be towed and either car will do it. I'm just annoyed at Skoda Customer Services who have a take it or leave it attitude.

I've been given a provisional build date of 22nd March 2011 (fourth date so far). I've decided that if this date slips then that's it, after all 7 months is unacceptable, it's not much longer for a Morgan!! It's not like I've ordered anything difficult spec wise, simply tow bar prep & spare wheel. The dealer cannot apparently confirm the build until a week before the build date.

In the past I've owned a VRS Fabia, Roomster and Octavia 2 Elegance. All lost money but the VRS lost the least and sold easily. I've also owned several SEAT's which also devalue badly.

For what it's worth, I had an Octavia Scout 1.8 tsi for a year before selling it due to the sub standard ride quality and lack of refinement(even the petrol model). Listening to the radio at speed was never a pleasure and an hour on the concrete section of the M25 left me almost suicidal. Not a bad car and utterly reliable over that year, but it never did it for me. I am seriously considering a Seat Exeo ST as a replacement. The revised version apparently has improved legroom in the rear. My logic is that the newer audi a4 is not necessarily better than the B7 on which the Exeo is based. The new model is probably better in some respects (switchgear etc) but is apparently worse in others (offset pedals) and is a bigger car. I like the relatively compact size of the Exeo, (how many of you spend most time in the car with one up with just occasional weekends and holidays wanting more space?), but it is criticised by some reviewers as lacking the space of more "modern" rivals like the Mondeo etc., which seem to get bigger as road and parking space gets smaller. The Mondeo is huge, as is the Citroen C5, which I also like. The exeo does not just have a few audi parts, the entire production line was moved from Germany to Spain. Apparently it took 1200 trucks working 24/7 for a few months to do this. The engines fitted are bang up to date and Seat engineers have reportedly improved the ride since the car had an Audi badge. Before becoming a Seat, the B7 Audi A4 had benefitted from 7 years of development and in 2007-2008 the Audi A4 was still a sought after car. All things considered, how can the Exeo possibly be seen by anything other than a bargain? The good value even ties in with the economic pain we are yet to feel for a few years, and perhaps makes more sense than an extra five or six grand on a shiny new Audi with the same DNA. .I say,if attractive deals are available, snap them up before Joe Public wises up. All that said, Ihave yet to drive one, but intend to in a week or so, and I am hopeful that it fits the bill for me.

I'm not quite clear on this one - if you'd originally chosen the Scout(where the USP is high riding AWD wagon), what factors (apart from availability) are influencing the possible switch to the SEAT, with its qquite different USP?

:thumbup: You will find the Scout a brilliant towcar on and off the road and if you intend to go on muddy/wet grass then its brill for the extra traction, we tow a Fleetwood Colchester 475ek @1275kg and it sticks to the road like glue and returns around 30mpg - wait and you won't be disapointed, just price up a Audi off road ! cheers - Stuart B)

For what its worth I've a CR scout on order from September too, dealership say I'm entitled to a loan car, spoke to Skoda UK and they confirmed this is something they are looking at

For what its worth I've a CR scout on order from September too, dealership say I'm entitled to a loan car, spoke to Skoda UK and they confirmed this is something they are looking at

as I have been waiting for a CR Scout since Sept as well (and there is no sign of a car materialising any time soon), i might ask the dealer for the same. Did you ask or did your dealer volunteer this as a goodwill gesture? Am i understanding you right that Skoda UK is considering this as policy?

I got my first chance to look at an Exeo ST today, it's a handsome car and almost indistinguishable from the A4 Estate (sorry, Avant) it's derived from .

Seat used values are nothing to shout about but with an appropriate discount (like the one Skoda offer) I'd have no problem with it.

Clearly the scout is a different car, the 4WD and extra height aren't offered on the Exeo, but as an alternative to Octavia Estate it has to be considered.

I got my first chance to look at an Exeo ST today, it's a handsome car and almost indistinguishable from the A4 Estate (sorry, Avant) it's derived from .

Seat used values are nothing to shout about but with an appropriate discount (like the one Skoda offer) I'd have no problem with it.

Clearly the scout is a different car, the 4WD and extra height aren't offered on the Exeo, but as an alternative to Octavia Estate it has to be considered.

Remember that there is no discount on factory fit options with the Seat deal - that can make a big difference if your plan is to "fully load" something.

as I have been waiting for a CR Scout since Sept as well (and there is no sign of a car materialising any time soon), i might ask the dealer for the same. Did you ask or did your dealer volunteer this as a goodwill gesture? Am i understanding you right that Skoda UK is considering this as policy?

The dealership called me with an update (well to say that they still didn't have a build date confirmed) and he asked me how much of an issue/inconvenience I though it was that the car wouldn't be delivered by March, I said that i would be without a car from the start of April, and he said that Skoda UK were looking to offer a loan car. So i called Skoda UK the next day to chat about my annoyance and that after taking a risk and swapping from BMW, we hadn't really got off to a good start. They said that the loan car was an option they would look at, but i haven't taken them up on it yet. I get the feeling it will be provided by the dealer and i guess they claim back from Skoda UK. Interestingly Skoda UK claim they are at the mercy of SKoda Europe and cannot hurry things along.