Fuel consumption

hmibennett

Although I have still covered less than 300 miles in Musky, I thought it worth reporting that the overall fuel consumption according to maxidot does not seem as way out as some have reported. According to maxidot, I have managed 45.1 mpg so far; according to mileage and fill-ups, my calculation would be about 44.4 mpg, so not the 10% discrepancy some owners have noticed. Of course, this may change with different types of journey - I haven't done a long, high-speed motorway haul yet, but will be doing several over the next few weeks and it will be interesting to see if this has an effect on the maxidot accuracy.

The last 5 brim to brim fill ups in Harvey range between 36.1_38.1mpg. Maxidot has never dropped below 40mpg(best 42.6) Approx 10% optimistic. :S

How many "fill-ups" have you had if you've done less than 300 miles? You must have a hole in the tank. :giggle:

Edited by bilun777

The last 5 brim to brim fill ups in Harvey range between 36.1_38.1mpg. Maxidot has never dropped below 40mpg(best 42.6) Approx 10% optimistic. :S

How many "fill-ups" have you had if you've done less than 300 miles? You must have a hole in the tank. :giggle:

Delivered with about a quarter of a tank; filled to the brim, then again to the brim today (took 23 litres and have driven 225 miles since previous fill to brim).

Driving style (and driving conditions - town or open road, flat roads or hills) have dramatic effects on fuel consumption. I'm averaging comfortably in excess of 40mpg (42/43) over the last 3000 miles, with Maxidot claiming 45/46.

My long term maxidot is at 50.5mpg, nearly 12000 miles and never reset. Actual overall is around 45mpg based on fuel bought.

Drive gently and I see 54 on the maxidot, eg gentle acceleration, stick to speed limits on open 50 and 60 mph roads. On the motorway it seems to average 50mpg on the maxidot, although sometimes it will be a lot less if I am pushing on and there is a headwind.

My maxidot over 4800 miles was on average about 9% optimistic, so I have had it corrected by 109%. Not filled up since, so no chance to check its accuracy yet. Thankfully, this week has been light on the mileage front. I tend to fill up when asked too emoticon-0136-giggle.gif.

So far I have done 5000 miles in 3 months of ownership, with 1 trip to Scotland, 2 to Mansfield, 1 to Uffington and all the rest around South London, which equates to about 2500 miles driven around South Londonemoticon-0106-crying.gif boring. Looking on the bright side, at least I'm in my SM and not a Polo.....or even my old Octavia.

Mike

My long term maxidot is at 50.5mpg, nearly 12000 miles and never reset.

I think your maxidot will have reset itself a few times in 12,000 miles.

It resets at 99hrs 59sec or 9999 miles - the 9999 miles is never going to be reached unless you average 100mph for your 99hrs and 59secs.

I'm up to 11,000 miles now and Maxidot is consistently 9/10% optimistic. A recent 500 mile motorway round trip had it reading at 53.9pmg whereas the brim to brim was 48mpg. It has done this throughout the 11,000 miles.

Does the dealer adjust the settings to bring it into accurate territory? I was interested to read Rockhopper has had his altered.

Not by dealer EB, but by a chum who has VCDS.

Ask on the main forum - there'll be someone near you who can sort it for you :thumbup:

I'm up to 11,000 miles now and Maxidot is consistently 9/10% optimistic. A recent 500 mile motorway round trip had it reading at 53.9pmg whereas the brim to brim was 48mpg. It has done this throughout the 11,000 miles.

Does the dealer adjust the settings to bring it into accurate territory? I was interested to read Rockhopper has had his altered.

Ben @ Shark Performance did mine when he did some other work on the car.

Mike

I started this thread;- http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/192986-dpf-effect-on-fuel-consumption/ a couple of weeks ago on the suggestion that there is a discrepancy between MFD and actual fuel consumption on TDI (DPF equipped) Yeti but not on petrol engined Yeti (or Roomster in my case).

This thread seems to be developing in a similar vein.

Anyone with Petrol engined Yeti like to comment?

I started this thread;- http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/192986-dpf-effect-on-fuel-consumption/ a couple of weeks ago on the suggestion that there is a discrepancy between MFD and actual fuel consumption on TDI (DPF equipped) Yeti but not on petrol engined Yeti (or Roomster in my case).

Not a Yeti but

2006 Octavia 1.9TDi - over 40k miles average on trip computer was 53.91mpg, on fill data it was 50.84mpg - difference of 6.0%

2010 Octavia 1.8TSI - over 5k miles average on maxidot is 37.0mpg, on fill data it is 34.8mpg - difference of 6.2%.

Doesn't really support a difference between petrol and diesel

Over the last 2,500 (ish) miles the MFD says 46.5mpg and calculation suggests 44.4mpg. The difference seems to have got less as the miles have added up, but the rate of change has now slowed a lot.

I think that's a 4.7% variance, if my maths is correct.

What I can't work out is why there is a variance, unless it is programmed in. But then I would expect it to be consistent between all cars of the same type...

Ngee

Our 1.2 DSG is only 0.1mpg out of the real world brim-to-brim result. :thumbup:

A difference of 0.3%.

Our 1.2 DSG is only 0.1mpg out of the real world brim-to-brim result. :thumbup:

A difference of 0.3%.

+1 (same enginge/gearbox). I have the VCDS cable and did some recalibration when I got our Yeti, but I ended up with a correction of 1%...

Let consider that for a precise evaluation of the mpg in addition to the brim-to-brim refuelling also the distance should be measured not through the car's odometer but using a navigator (I see my odometer shows +3% distance than real with summer tires and +5% distance with winter tires than real).

Bye,

Ratz

actually - none of this matters.

It is, after all, only for guidance, a snapshot, information that gives you some inkling as to how your beast is performing, and how you are driving in the circumstances.

Chill..........

actually - none of this matters.

It is, after all, only for guidance, a snapshot, information that gives you some inkling as to how your beast is performing, and how you are driving in the circumstances.

Chill..........

I do chill but then I see the price at the pumps :@

Had one of those price discrepancy days yesterday. Left Pwllheli a.m. wide-eyed @ diesel prices of £1.46.9 and then came through Denbigh p.m. (also in the middle of nowhere really) to see diesel @ £1.32.9.

In old money that is 5/4d a gallon dearer. I can well remember the cost of diesel @ half that (5/4d) price in the 1960s.

OK. I already know I am old.

Had one of those price discrepancy days yesterday. Left Pwllheli a.m. wide-eyed @ diesel prices of £1.46.9 and then came through Denbigh p.m. (also in the middle of nowhere really) to see diesel @ £1.32.9.

In old money that is 5/4d a gallon dearer. I can well remember the cost of diesel @ half that (5/4d) price in the 1960s.

OK. I already know I am old.

I remember filling the 6 gallon tank of a hired Mini for

wait for it!

£1 - that is a single pound - not a typo!!

That was on Jersey though - Price in the mainland UK at the time was about 35p a gallon

All of the gauges and dials are purely there for guidance, hardly any of them are accurate!

The speedo over reads by about 10%

The temperature gauge is software corrected and damped. Ever wondered how it always sticks to a solid 90 degrees C all the time? It will only go up if there is a real problem and the coolant creeps towards 100 degrees C.

The fuel gauge is a rough guide and has to be damped to account for the fuel sloshing about in the tank.

The fuel consumption and range readouts are not accurate and are merely a guide. It is well documented that you can go a good 30-40 miles past the zero range readout and still not run out of fuel.

I would think the oil temp readout is fairly accurate but then again, what's to say that's not software corrected?

I drove home from my parents place the other night - nice and slowly - and the Maxidot told me my average consumption was 68.9mpg. In a CR170? I think not.