Octavia SE 1.6 MPI 25% off

Sorry if this has already been done. Saw full page advert in today's Times for Octavia se 1.6 mpi 102ps reduced from £14,760 to £10,995 rrp. Can't find any refernce to this model in March What Car magazine. Any ideas? What does mpi mean?

Not currently listed in the magazines as you say. This is not the newer TSI engine but perhaps an older engine design being sold off before the latest Euro V becomes mandatory. Just a guess.

But yes, an amazingly cheap buy.

Thanks. I see from the roadrecord blurb that it comes with bolero 6 cd and xenon lights. What a bargain!

The test car may have had them but Xenons are not standard on the SE.

The picture in the roadrecord test is an Elegance, not an SE - the SE does not have foglights as standard.

Still a bargain though!

Edit - just looked at the Skoda website:

http://skoda.co.uk/GBR/newcars/octavia/prices/special-offers/Pages/default.aspx

25% OFFThe award winning Octavia 1.6 (105 PS) SE is available with 25% off. Was £14,760 RRP and is now £10,995 RRP. Also included in this offer is: ABS, airbags, remote central locking, electric windows, air con, electric and heated door mirrors and 6 disc CD player. Not to mention it is also available with low rate finance*.

Maybe the reason it is so cheap as it has the same VED emissions band as the facelift petrol VRS :S

(Band H)

Where did you get that from? According to my old brochures the 1.6 MPI had a VED band of I (same as a VRS with DSG).

The 1.6 MPI is quite an old engine and is by the new 1.2 TSI:

• (1.6 MPI vs 1.2 TSI)
  • Power: 102PS vs 105PS
  • Max Speed: 117mph vs 119mph
  • 0-60mph: 12.4s vs 10.9s
  • Combined Economy: 38.2mpg vs 48.7mpg
  • CO2: 176g/km vs 134g/km
  • VED band: I vs E
  • Insurance: 11E vs 13E
  • Price: £10,995 vs £12,691

The above assumes that the offer is for an estate and the 1.2 TSI price is inclusive of the no VAT deal.

The price isn't bad but if I was after a cheap low end Octavia I'd spend the extra £1,700 and get the 1.2 TSI not the 1.6 MPI

Where did you get that from? According to my old brochures the 1.6 MPI had a VED band of I (same as a VRS with DSG).

From Carfile:

http://www.carfile.net/results.php?modtext=5%40%40P&make=skoda&model=octavia

Just got this info from Skoda.co.uk car configurator for the SE 1.6 MPI:

SE

1.6 MPI 102PS 5spd Man

CO2: 166 g/km

166g/km puts it in Band H:

http://www.skoda.co.uk/GBR/owners/tax-and-insurance/vehicle-excise-duty/Pages/default.aspx

Got one as a courtesy car at the moment and have to say compared with my 1.4TSI it feels pretty sluggish and I was concerned to see it was hitting over 3500 rpm at motorway speeds, which can't be good for fuel consumption. Saying that, with the 5 speed gear box, once you get up to speed it pulls along quite nicely, though is quite noisy. A cheap way to get a new Octy I guess.

Ordered one today from Alex Lawrie in Liverpool. They gave me 2.25% new car finance over 3 years, not worth using your own savings with that rate.

Bet you any money that isn't APR. The actual APR which is what you need to compare to savings and high street lenders will be around 5-6%.

I thought that these were the FSI not MPI or is there not a difference?!

I would like others have said spend a little more and get a more efficient, more fun to drive and probably more frugal 1.2TSI. :thumbup:

• Like 1

If Autoexpress is correct then Skoda have blown away the fuel consumption of the Greenline range- website states

"Czech out this deal from Skoda! The entry-level Octavia is available for £10,995. Just 2,000 cars will be offered across the UK, with each representing a £3,735– or 25 per cent – saving over the normal list price.<BR itxtNodeId="245">Based on the SE specification, all cars feature 15-inch alloys, ABS, air conditioning, front and rear electric windows, a touch screen stereo with six-CD changer, a trip computer and electric heated door mirrors.<BR itxtNodeId="246">All cars are powered by Skoda’s 101bhp 1.6-litre petrol engine which is connected to a five-speed manual gearbox. <BR itxtNodeId="247">The Octavia SE completes the 0-62mph sprint in 12.3 seconds and hits a top speed of 118mph. Fuel consumption is pegged at 551.4mpg and CO2 emissions are 166g/km. The car is available to order from Skoda dealers now.

Read more: http://www.autoexpre...l#ixzz1Gn62b6l6"

( My highlighting):giggle:

SE

1.6 MPI 102PS 5spd Man

CO2: 166 g/km

Strange... I just checked this on the Skoda website and they reckon that the CO2 is 166g/km and the combined cycle is 51.4mpg - that economy is significantly better than all other petrol models and what was stated in the old brochures. Sounds very odd to me...

I thought that these were the FSI not MPI or is there not a difference?!

According to the Skoda website the only 1.6 is the MPI. This (if I understand correctly) is an 8v engine predates the FSI.

According to the Skoda website the only 1.6 is the MPI. This (if I understand correctly) is an 8v engine predates the FSI.

You could say pre dates.....I had the 1.4 version in my 1997 Mk3 Golf and used to drive a 1998 S reg Mk4 with the 1.6 MPI in it :rofl:

I drive a 1.6 mpi from a dealer in 2008 as a demo car... The engine was so slow, higher fuel usage and higher road tax, I almost walked away from Skoda until he said try something else.

That engine was fitted though a range of vag cars in about 2000, me thinks they have found a warehouse full of old engines

James

Hi Guys

I am tempted by this offer...mainly due to the price, do you know if the spec is same as the current list spec, eg tinted rear windows etc

will I regret buying this engine.....would it really be worth spending £1700 quid to buy a 1.2l engine.I only drive about 8k a year

thanks

Hi Guys

I am tempted by this offer...mainly due to the price, do you know if the spec is same as the current list spec, eg tinted rear windows etc

will I regret buying this engine.....would it really be worth spending £1700 quid to buy a 1.2l engine.I only drive about 8k a year

thanks

I have it. It is a very good engine and I usually average 7L/100km, not excellent but not bad since I do high town driving.

I dont have lead in my feet too...

I am really satisfied with it, it is not a racing car but I drove it 5000km filled up to the top (really) and I never felt like needing more bhp.

Mine is from 2009 though.

I wasn't sure about the tinted windows but according to Birchwood Groups website it has this spec.

only £10995 for a BRAND NEW, UNREGISTERED Skoda Octavia!

Specification includes:

* Alarm

* Air conditioning

* 6 CD changer

* Electric windows

* Tinted Glass

* Remote central locking

* External temperature gauge

* ABS, MBA, MSR, ASR

* Multi folding seats

I wasn't sure about the tinted windows but according to Birchwood Groups website it has this spec.

only £10995 for a BRAND NEW, UNREGISTERED Skoda Octavia!

Specification includes:

* Alarm

* Air conditioning

* 6 CD changer

* Electric windows

* Tinted Glass

* Remote central locking

* External temperature gauge

* ABS, MBA, MSR, ASR

* Multi folding seats

My local advert said some things shown in the picture were not standard - i.e. extra cost. One of those things was the alloy wheels

It comes with 15" alloy wheels. The price quoted is for solid colour, metallic paint is extra.

Seems like there are slightly different offers in different areas then - keep an eye on the small print.

You might in year or two get done with higher than 160co2 road tax, £185 now, bet you £205 next week and then next year £250 so on...

A friend has a BMW dev, this year is tax is £450! Been in the mid £200s for years

James

You can also get this in Elegance spec according to the configurator.