Has anybody else ...

Bobdog

... been blatting along a country road at a good rate of knots, and then risen over a little hump (the kind of thing that makes your passengers gasp as their stomachs seem to rise into their chests) and felt the Yeti's brakes apply with no input from you? Presumably as the car goes light over the hump, the sensors feel a loss of grip at the tyres, and seek to compensate?

... been blatting along a country road at a good rate of knots, and then risen over a little hump (the kind of thing that makes your passengers gasp as their stomachs seem to rise into their chests) and felt the Yeti's brakes apply with no input from you? Presumably as the car goes light over the hump, the sensors feel a loss of grip at the tyres, and seek to compensate?

for just about a year I have noticed this "hesitation" after a hump as you describe. It happens in other situations too - just a slight check, almost imperceptible, and off we go again.

I thought it was just me!!

Yes, it's the ESP.

I have thrown our one into a fast corner and braked a bit to see what the car did.

You could actually feel the rear brake on the inside come on to give the car maximum stability.

Quite impressive from a safety point of view. :thumbup:

Ah, so that's what it is! I had been noticing something like this on our recent holiday and wondered if it was just me, or a slight intermittent problem: obviously neither, and it makes sense now it has been explained!

Ah, so that's what it is! I had been noticing something like this on our recent holiday and wondered if it was just me, or a slight intermittent problem: obviously neither, and it makes sense now it has been explained!

Seconded!!! I'd thought about raising this issue months ago but feared derision!! ;):)

If I take the back lane from my signal box, about a mile in there is a little bridge, and if I take that at more than 45 I get several little lights come on, normally as the suspension compresses after the bridge, but the car feels extremely "planted" the whole time.

My link

NB, this is at stupid time in the morning when it's dark and I'm coming home!!

Edited by Llanigraham

If I take the back lane from my signal box, about a mile in there is a little bridge, and if I take that at more than 45 I get several little lights come on, normally as the suspension compresses after the bridge, but the car feels extremely "planted" the whole time.

NB, this is at stupid time in the morning when it's dark and I'm coming home!!

You probably hit that little orange fella standing on his green arrow.:giggle:

Slightly changing the subject; has anybody stalled a 4x4 diesel Yeti? I ask because I'm curious; in the past I have stalled petrol engined cars. If I pressed the clutch pedal in, and still had forward momentum, I could sometimes drop the clutch and restart the engine and keep going. However, when I've stalled a 2wd diesel (I'm not a totally useless driver, honest :D ) there's usually been a very loud bang and judder and there's no way it will keep moving. However, I've found my 4x4 diesel Yeti will behave like a petrol car in these circumstances. Is this something to do with the ESP or the haldex? Perhaps you technical minded people out there can tell me?

Slightly changing the subject; has anybody stalled a 4x4 diesel Yeti? I ask because I'm curious; in the past I have stalled petrol engined cars. If I pressed the clutch pedal in, and still had forward momentum, I could sometimes drop the clutch and restart the engine and keep going. However, when I've stalled a 2wd diesel (I'm not a totally useless driver, honest :D ) there's usually been a very loud bang and judder and there's no way it will keep moving. However, I've found my 4x4 diesel Yeti will behave like a petrol car in these circumstances. Is this something to do with the ESP or the haldex? Perhaps you technical minded people out there can tell me?

No "technical" explanation, but the stall in my 2.0 PD Octavia was as dramatic as you describe. The Yeti still stalls if the rpm gets below something like 800, but nowhere as dramatic - no bang, and you can jump start it with momentum if moving.

I've only stalled it once, with undramatic results as described above. Generally, I'm very impressed with the unstallability (?), not least the car's ability to pull away simply by releasing the clutch and with no accelerator pedal at all if grip is at a premium.

I get the same power loss on my Octavia vrs cr170. See here Linky According to the thread in the octavia section turning esp off does not affect it (not tried it myself). It appears from the Octavia thread to be a diesel thing.

I get the same power loss on my Octavia vrs cr170. See here Linky According to the thread in the octavia section turning esp off does not affect it (not tried it myself). It appears from the Octavia thread to be a diesel thing.

Mmmm, no it's not a power loss, it's definitely the brakes applying.

Strange my Yeti has no ESP but I feel the engine 'braking' a little, when going down hills, I imagine it's the ASR thinking I'm losing control? :giggle:

Yes, that feeling too, particularly if there's a bend on the hill and I've got a bit of speed on. Actually the first time I felt it on a hill there was ice on the road, I felt a slight skid, a brief braking moment that was nothing to do with me, followed by a feeling of slight acceleration (again, not me) and no more skid. Clever Yeti! B)

Edited by Bobdog