Yeti + deer @ 70mph = damage

hazy

http://flic.kr/p/9Ek7Zn

The deer ran directly out in front of the car in the dark on a dual carriageway. No time to even touch the brakes. Most of the impact was on the lower offside but the head went through the radiator grille. I found one horn in there later, it had dented the radiator matrix. The car was impressively stable during and after the impact.

One advantage of high front on a vehicle is that it tends to propel animals forward and prevents them come over the bonnet. A friend with a Mazda MX-5 had a deer come up the bonnet into the windscreen.

Modern cars have plastic fronts to protect pedestrians. I noticed that there is even black foam padding behind the front bumper. The numberplate was not so flexible and it was left in many bits down the road. The damage appears to be limited to replaceable plastic parts, apart from the radiator, which has damaged fins. I still managed to drive it to Dundee to the bodyshop.

Now driving a Kia Rio !

and what happened to the deer? one for the pot?

:thumbup: +1 Roadkill ... my favourite ... :)

Yumm.....venison.

Many years ago I had a friend in Gloucestershire killed by a deer that came through the windscreen of his car and broke his neck.

you're lucky it was just a deer.

glad everyone (apart form the deer) made it through safely.

we were in australia recently and had exactly the same scenario, but with a 6 foot tall kangaroo just sitting in the middle of the road.

you do not want to hit one at 60 mph. they write cars off big style!

all we saw was a pair of huge feet and its tummy in the headlights before the abs kicked in and we just missed it!!!

clipped the drivers door mirror on its side as we went past :doh:

i now know why the aussies don't like driving at night

My Brother who lives in Scotland seems to be a magnet for deer having hit a few - and he does then pick up and prepare them for the pot. One day he hit one on way to town to shop. He dragged it into ditch to retrieve on his return journey rather than stuff it in boot as he usually does. Two hours later, there it was, feet sticking out of ditch and he went to pick it up. As he grabbed it's feet it revived and rushed off (just think if he had put it in his boot at first !!). Even better, when he set off again, it rushed back on to the road in front of him and he had to do an emergency stop to avoid it a second time.

http://flic.kr/p/9Ek7Zn

The deer ran directly out in front of the car in the dark on a dual carriageway. No time to even touch the brakes. Most of the impact was on the lower offside but the head went through the radiator grille. I found one horn in there later, it had dented the radiator matrix. The car was impressively stable during and after the impact.

One advantage of high front on a vehicle is that it tends to propel animals forward and prevents them come over the bonnet. A friend with a Mazda MX-5 had a deer come up the bonnet into the windscreen.

Modern cars have plastic fronts to protect pedestrians. I noticed that there is even black foam padding behind the front bumper. The numberplate was not so flexible and it was left in many bits down the road. The damage appears to be limited to replaceable plastic parts, apart from the radiator, which has damaged fins. I still managed to drive it to Dundee to the bodyshop.

Now driving a Kia Rio !

I think you are a very lucky person. My business partner hit a deer in his VW Golf, what a mess, I could not believe it, new wing, bonnet, bumper, headlights, Screen, grill radiator it even creased his roof!

If you hit/kill it and then pick it up that's poaching.

However if the guy in the car behind picks it up then it's roadkill and no problem.

Weird!!!

tom

However if the guy in the car behind picks it up then it's roadkill and no problem.

Weird!!!

tom

Looks as if my Brother is a seasoned poacher then :giggle:

Laws are potentially different in Scotland!!

You may find this hard to believe but my brother also downed a golden eagle which attacked his glider when he was flying out of Connel air strip. He retrieved it afterwards (freezer + stuffed - dubious legality !!)) and this made headlines at the time as the tailpiece on ITV news and headlines in some national papers. "Brave pilot struggles to bring crippled glider to airport" were the headlines. Truth was zero damage to glider. I suppose there is some correlation here to helicopters attacking Yetis :smirk:

you're lucky it was just a deer.

glad everyone (apart form the deer) made it through safely.

we were in australia recently and had exactly the same scenario, but with a 6 foot tall kangaroo just sitting in the middle of the road.

you do not want to hit one at 60 mph. they write cars off big style!

all we saw was a pair of huge feet and its tummy in the headlights before the abs kicked in and we just missed it!!!

clipped the drivers door mirror on its side as we went past :doh:

i now know why the aussies don't like driving at night

You are 100% correct about Oz. I remember the first time I visited my eldest son after he emigated down there and when he lived up country. He had bought a Mitsubishi Pajero with bull bars and all the usual OTT gizmos and I teased him about it being a Chelsea tractor. One drive at night to visit his mother in law soon demonstrated why he had had them fitted. The wildlife appeared suicidal and I was just glad we got to our destination in one piece. Just goes to show that these "extras" are worth their weight in the intended environment.

When I was doing some family history, I found that my great great grandfather got a months hard labour for poaching rabbits. This was 1851.

Andy

When I was doing some family history, I found that my great great grandfather got a months hard labour for poaching rabbits. This was 1851.

Andy

I'm not surprised, rabbits are always better roasted, should never be poached :giggle:

Ian

I'm not surprised, rabbits are always better roasted, should never be poached :giggle:

Ian

:rofl: And women are like fish - better when they're battered? Please don't mention this joke to my wife, I can't take any more pain!

The damage isn't as bad as I expecting, I once hit a deer doing about 55-60mph and the damage was huge. The deer was more similar in size to a small elephant though. I swerved to try and miss it and hit it on the N/S/F corner. Swerving for the deer was a good advert for ESP by the way, the was no way I could have corrected the skid as quickly as it did. The car behind me wasn't so lucky, swerved around what was left of the deer and ended up leaving the road he was fine though.

The Yeti appears to have coped better or perhaps it was a much smaller deer than the enormous terrafirma based whale that I collided with. I'm suprised it didn't get up, brush itself off and carry on enjoying its evening playing with the traffic.

The damage isn't as bad as I expecting, I once hit a deer doing about 55-60mph and the damage was huge. The deer was more similar in size to a small elephant though. I swerved to try and miss it and hit it on the N/S/F corner. Swerving for the deer was a good advert for ESP by the way, the was no way I could have corrected the skid as quickly as it did. The car behind me wasn't so lucky, swerved around what was left of the deer and ended up leaving the road he was fine though.

The Yeti appears to have coped better or perhaps it was a much smaller deer than the enormous terrafirma based whale that I collided with. I'm suprised it didn't get up, brush itself off and carry on enjoying its evening playing with the traffic.

And how big was the fish you caught James, and does your wife/girlfriend really believe 'that' is six inches? ;)

big-fish-got-away.jpg

I caught it with my bare hands. I was on fire at the time too.

Also, at the time, I was in space.

Excellent! :rofl:

A few years ago I was driving back from the garage in Driffield where I'd had my car repaired after an accident, to Beverley, when something ran across the road in front of me. Just as I thought "that's a big dog!" there was a bang and another one ran into the side of the car. When I got out I found it was a deer. Poor thing was killed instantly. Garage couldn't believe it when I phoned so explain I'd had another accident on the way home.

LizC

There's a family of deer live on our Pennine hillside. Tend to see them in the road quite often if we depart home early morning or return late at night. No real risk of accident/damage because the 3/4 mile trip from the main road to our house is an unmade farm track, taken at 10-15 mph in second gear at most. I use the off road button every day! :yes:

There's a family of deer live on our Pennine hillside. Tend to see them in the road quite often if we depart home early morning or return late at night. No real risk of accident/damage because the 3/4 mile trip from the main road to our house is an unmade farm track, taken at 10-15 mph in second gear at most. I use the off road button every day! :yes:

My daughter once hit one of our local herd of Muntjacs in my wife's C3: dead deer, only apparently superficial damage that turned out to be £750-worth on examination (wrecked radiator, distorted front members, etc.). Very pretty things to be seeen wandering about the hillside, but destructive little b*****s when in fields of crops or arguing with cars!