Richard's 09 mkI VRS SE. (and others)

BossFox

The only decent weight saving I've made is losing around a stone off my gut with new exercise regime at the gym. Still need to lose more though. Jealous of your seats though. My mk5 GTI seats still both weigh a fair amount. I'd like to remove the airbags from them really....

I'm still thinking about your carbon bonnet Jason... B)

I believe we probably have about the same bhp per kg now. Mine is a little lighter and yours is a little more powerful. Nothing in it really.

Nice to finally get to meet you on Monday, Richard

Car is absolutely mint, but must be so light, I can see the problem tying it down to the tarmac

No thoughts on full dash removal? :)

Nice to finally get to meet you on Monday, Richard

Car is absolutely mint, but must be so light, I can see the problem tying it down to the tarmac

No thoughts on full dash removal? :)

Thanks Bryan.

No, the next one is going to be a bit mad so may go for a lightened dash in that.

I'm putting the seats back in this (I'm sure the weight helps) as it's always been the intention to keep it as standard/practical as possible.

I just wanted to try those seats out until the next Sata Pod day, see how it goes. :)

Richard,

Were you not a little bit tempted to bring the rally crosser yesterday :giggle:

I hope you have at least driven it? Just to get a feel for it as it's set up now?

Yes, I had a little play with it. But it's very loud, very raw and the gearstick is on the wrong side. :)

Plus it only has three sets of offroad style tyres.

I was more tempted to use the Yeti for the 2nd session in the rain. I think that may have been better as the track was so slippery and my tires has very little traction. Not sure MSV would have allowed that though.

Still a great day out. :thumbup:

Taught me that only having 888 tyres for the Fabia is daft. I need a more road biased set, like the Toyo R1R.

I had 1R's on the Fabia VRS and after the Jaba RARB they were the nest best mod. I recomend them as a very capable all rounder :thumbup:

But with the "help" of the 888's the way you took out those cones on the pit straight was very impressive :devil:

I think I was doing around 60mph (edit: checked the Vbox and I was doing 72mph...) when I got the mother of all drits on and spent a long time at around 90 degrees to the track.

Was certainly exciting and I did recover eventually. :D

Did seem a bit odd going past people in the pits while the car was pointing at them.

Good learning experience though. Safe track for a bit of playing.

It was nice to meet again Richard and thanks for the plastic strips!!!!Saved my day!!!

I have a few pics of u in action with the cones LOL.I will put them on the How Fast thread.

Your car is really impressive! :thumbup:

Well the time has come... time to say goodbye to the GT-R by the looks of it.

bothx.jpg

I took a deposit on it this evening, after a very fair offer.

It had only been offered for sale in a small advert on the GTR forum, not even got round to usual places.

So once the personalised plate is off it'll be off to pastures new terrifying locals and Porsche drivers in a different area. :D

Soon I'll only have Skodas.

And you know, I'm not sad to see it go to a new home. Which can only be a good thing.

Why you not sad to see it go ?

It's a fantastic car and I've enjoyed owning it, but it's really too good for the public highway.

Plus it's so capable to get near the limit and get that buzz you need to be doing something highly illegal or you are seconds away from a huge accident.

In short, I've had the experience and had fun with it. But even the neck snapping acceleration became familiar after many blasts.

And I don't want to track it because it'll be expensive in runing costs (and it's resale value) and if anything goes wrong it'll be really, really expensive. :D

As for Nissan.

I have never had the pleasure before of dealing with people who care for thier customers like that. Shocking.

I've ticked the box, had fun and now I want something where I am in control and not a computer.

When I took the Fabia to Bedford on it's semi-slicks (in the rain) I had such a laugh it was better than being in the GT-R, pressing the loud peddal and just watching all the other cars dissappear. More fun, less speed, less chance of a big disaster. And I didn't control the drifts because of torque vectoring diffs and fancy electronics. I did it. :D

Glad I did it though. Time to move on. :)

Added bonus. No more car finance or HP. Nice feeling.

• Like 1

When I took the Fabia to Bedford on it's semi-slicks (in the rain) I had such a laugh it was better than being in the GT-R, pressing the loud peddal and just watching all the other cars dissappear.

Behind your wacky races style smoke screen :giggle:

As you've said before. Fun does not necessarily mean fast. You can have just as much, if not more fun with a cheaper car that has lower limits and lower levels of grip.

Roll on the 4x4 Fabia :)

I thought it was more James Bond than Wacky Races. ;-)

It does puff a bit when using that last bit of power... and I was going for it!

Petrol for the next one though.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the morning at Santa Pod today.

Was hoping to beat my 13.609 from last year but I don't think an ambient temp of +26c was helping me very much.

Some launches were quicker a few times than last year, but seemed to be lacking a bit of power.

Ended up with the best two runs being:

13.6672 @ 105.67mpg with traction control on

13.6750 @ 104.47mpg with traction control off

Not bad times, but I was hoping to creep into the 13.5s, particularly as the interior was lighter from the Briskoda How Fast day.

Seats go back in tomorrow...

jl4c0431smpod1.jpg

jl4c0958smpod2.jpg

How much wonga did that private plate cost? :rock:

Not much, because it doesn't really spell anything and is age related. About £400 plus transfer fees I think,

If you mean with other cars, no.

Other than a few dragsters it was mainly old fords and hat hatches. It's the AWD cars that give me problems mostly, other than heavilly modified things.

There was a Vtec Civic there that was about 20bhp and 100kg less than me. But I beat him (twice) crossing the line going about 3mph/0.25 seconds faster. Other than that I was over a second quicker than anyone I ran against.

I'll get some outside and inside videos up tomorrow.

• Like 1