BLT engine oil change intervals

Hi

The owners manual for the wifes 2006 Fabia vRS states that the engine oil and filter change interval is 15,000kms (9,300 miles).

However, after only 10 months and only 5,000 miles the Quantum Platinum 5W/40 oil looked and felt like it was well past its best.

The car is std, it drives and performs very well, returns excellent mpg and it never uses any engine oil.

Just a bit disappointed with how quickly the engine oil has required changing....would have liked it to go 12 months and 7,000 miles.

What mileage do you other vRS owners change your engine oil and filter ?????

Bill.

Mine has had the oil and filter changed every 10k when its serviced since new and it's just gone 80k and it goes like a dream !

Mine is a BLT engine also and it uses literally no oil too :)

Hi

The owners manual for the wifes 2006 Fabia vRS states that the engine oil and filter change interval is 15,000kms (9,300 miles).

However, after only 10 months and only 5,000 miles the Quantum Platinum 5W/40 oil looked and felt like it was well past its best.

The car is std, it drives and performs very well, returns excellent mpg and it never uses any engine oil.

Just a bit disappointed with how quickly the engine oil has required changing....would have liked it to go 12 months and 7,000 miles.

What mileage do you other vRS owners change your engine oil and filter ?????

Bill.

Hi Bill

What makes you say the oil is past its best ?

Radiotwo

Hi Bill

What makes you say the oil is past its best ?

Radiotwo

Hi

Between 4.5K and 5K the oil seemed to turn quite thick when cold and its appearance turned very black looking with a slight burnt smell.

I check the oil level every week and was supprised at how quick the oil turned from looking OK to U/S.

Now I admit the above is not a very scientific way to carry out oil analysis lol, but I'am an experienced HGV fitter and based on my experience of what the used engine oil looks like when its dropped out of our 44te trucks after it has been in the engine for up to 50,000kms, I'd say the Fabia oil was ready to come out.

We have only owned the car for 10 months, the Skoda dealer changed the oil and filter when we bought the car @ 46k, and I changed the oil and filter again five days later.

The only thing I can think of that could be effecting the engine oil service life is the car does tend to do lots of stop start short journeys ????

Bill.

• 6 years later...

I have blt 2006 vrs Fabia recently went to euro car parts used promotional code got 5 litres of specified shell helix hx8 5w/30 with the car actually  specifies and Bosch oil filterI paid £28 for the LOT barging I do mine every 6,000k for the cost of the oil it’s nothing for the fact it’s givi g your engine best shot at lasting out longer takes 15-20 mins to do buy yourself new sump drain bold (£3) eBay for cortiena one. Warm car up whip filter out carefully undo drain plug get rid the black stuff careful put drain plug back in as it’s steel in to aluminium hand tighten it DONT OVER TIGHTEN it put your new filter in litrally clips in to housing lid put new seal on the lid screw back in torque it up to 25nm pour 3/4 of the 5liters straight in filler start engine for 30-45 seconds to allow oil to get around new filter knock it off again the let settle for a minute then slowly  fill to required level obviously don’t over fill it job done how I’ve always done mine this way no problems if your lucky good promotion on get oil and filter at a bargain price at worst cost you around £50-60 all in I refuse to pay someone £150 to do this simple task 

539C1450-8EF3-4328-A941-2C2F2351DFE2.png

Edited by Benjaminalski

Yeah, @Benjaminalski that was a dodgy recommendation for a PD 1.9, they need 505.01 oil, which what you bought doesn't appear to be.

If I were you I'd go back to ECP, tell them their rubbish look-up has caused you to put incorrect oil in your car and demand free replacement with a correctly rated one.

Edited by Wino
  • Thanks 1

Shortish stop/start journeys will make oil deteriorate faster,with our 09 Fabia I change the oil/filter every spring regardless of mileage - it costs peanuts if you diy it.

As Wino posted it is best to use a good quality 5w40 PD oil.

Our other car is an 02 Polo 1.4 which we use for all our local running about and we tend put a fair bit of mileage on it - I change the oil/filter on that every spring and autumn (avoiding ever having to do it in the winter LOL) which usually works out at approx 7,000 mile interval.

Edit - just realised it is an old thread that has been resurrected LOL

Edited by YS53
  • Thanks 1

So is shell oil not good because when I lift my bonnet it’s plastered in shell stickers with Skoda on them in my eyes that’s says to me Skoda recommends to use that oil I use 5w/30 oil fully synthetic don’t see where I’m going wrong at all vag specified oil aswell last I checked shell oil was decent stuff I like to do mine every 6k well it’s gotta be better than tripple Q X lol runs ok so far do shell do a ecp oil out of interest thank you @Wino

Edited by Benjaminalski

Nothing wrong with Shell oils but the PD engines require oils that meet VW  spec 505.01. I believe that the one you've used only meets 502.00 and 505.00; check the container if you still have it.

Oh, that should be OK.

507.00 is regarded by most as being as good as 505.01 in PD diesels. There has been a debate about it in a recent thread, but it's definitely better than the 505.00 that I thought the oil in your earlier posts was.

What does the front of that bottle say on it? Exact name?

13 minutes ago, Benjaminalski said:

@Wino what oil would you use 2006 blt 1.9 vrs ? Just for future reference 

I don't have a similar car, but if I did I'd stick Quantum Platinum from ebay in it; very good value for money delivered to your door. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quantum-Platinum-5W-40-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5-Litre-ACEA-C3-API-PD-Oil/192043732095?epid=1354064236&hash=item2cb6b2cc7f:g:PO4AAOSwnHZYQvdJ

In theory anything that meets or exceeds 505.01 spec will be OK, even from ASDA.

What you've used will be fine til the next change anyway, and arguably after that too. I think a lot of people use 507.00 grade oils because they assume that higher grade number = better; but in this context it's mainly more expensive; and a little thinner at operating temperature.

When I looked up Shell HX8 5W30 this morning I didn't include the 'ECT' bit, and that took me here, which explains my concern.

Apologies for the unnecessary alarm. :)

• Like 1

507.00 is just a later spec. as oil technology moved on the specs were updated, there's nothing wrong with 5W30, viscosity is irrelevant, it's all about the additives, SAE is an anachronistic viscosity standard designed for fat American V8's with slack manufacturing tolerances measured in inches.

• Like 1

I have my oil changed and car serviced every year at around 6k miles. No idea what oil they use though, I didn't realise it was so important. It's a respectable garage so I would hope they would know what to put in it!?

@TurbosSuck nothing wrong in going to garage I just carnt afford to ive always done my cars myself and I think the garages are ok with what they do as wino said tho the specific oil that’s just advising the absolute perfect oil for them I agree with changing every 6k but I think I read old post on here that actually they require it every 9300 miles but it’s all down to how u drive it short long distance how hard you are on car etc 6k safe bet clean oil is good oil 

Edited by Benjaminalski

Thanks Benjaminalski, that's good to know. To be honest it only gets done at 6k because that's what I do in a year, if I did 9k then it would get serviced at that. I've always done the servicing myself on previous cars but this one had full service history when I bought it and I just carried it on. :)