VRS Burning oil

James I

Same for me...Car just over a year old...8000 on clock....Oil Consumption test done...Breather fitted...made no difference.

Dealer talking about a new engine but has to get ok from SUK...

Will be interesting to see what the New Fix (Christmas time) mentioned earlier in this post is?

Do Skoda have enough replacement engines ?...i believe they are no longer in production.

G

Grumbles51, welcome to the forum.

Do you think that there are no more vRS, GTi or A1's being built with the twin charger engine

& that the VAG are just taking orders untill the current stock of engines is used up?

I would check with SKODA UK yourself on what they are going to do for your car,

is it a Short Engine thay are sending or are you getting a rebuld done on yours.

Get it in writing.

george

I've had mine back for 2 weeks... 1200 miles covered and filled up (with oil) twice....

How do you drive it? Do you give it beans at least few times during any one drive or going really easy at all times to get mpgs?

Same for me...Car just over a year old...8000 on clock....Oil Consumption test done...Breather fitted...made no difference.

Dealer talking about a new engine but has to get ok from SUK...

Will be interesting to see what the New Fix (Christmas time) mentioned earlier in this post is?

Do Skoda have enough replacement engines ?...i believe they are no longer in production.

G

That is an interesting comment!

Where did you get that info about engines from?

Welcome to the forums of course :rock:

Edited by Jabozuma

Hi George,

Actually the words "short engine" were mentioned..so i guess thats the piston ring issue ?

Will wait to see what the Dealer says Skoda want to do...then rant at customer services.

However, reading the forums, it does seem as some vRS owners are getting a legal "tough luck".

Have to say the my Dealer has been very good...and so have i with them...no falling out yet :p

Jabozuma....in..that video..looks like the engine has no oil too ;)

G

grumbles51,

reading that article back in early 2011 was what made me go and start looking for a Seat or the A1 when it was going to be available.

I drove the SEAT, the VW & the Fabia and then ordered an A1 ,

then got messed about so went looking to buy a new vRS as i fitted best in it..

Then found one that was an ex Demo car and was sold, then had Warranty Issues and had been returned and Rebuilt,

then was for sale.

Bargain, 'Much Cheapness' & it drove the best of the other cars i had been in..

Still used oil a little to 7000 miles & then nothing for 7000 miles.

(It tempted me to go and buy a second one, which was equally as good)

VAG are going to the Cylinder Deactivation engines like in the New Polo Blue GT,

& other detuned engines like they are doing in the new A3.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/polo/59046/vw-polo-blue-gt

(i hope they put a better dipstick in that and get the Owners Manual clearer.!)

The minute i know that the Twin Chargers are stopping production i am ordering a new one as a keeper.

george

I am sure you are right.

Once its all tried & sorted, not as they have up to now on 6, 8, 10, 12 cylinder engines but on 4 cylinder inlines.

(should be simple, lets see, BMW are going 3 cylinder & multiples of i believe, like Ford are),

Its just i am getting too old now to wait for the Owners to fight with VW for 3 years before their warranty runs out and VAG can be bothered to sort out any problems promptly without Forums and stuff needing to keep the owners informed.

They do seem to like customers as their testers as they introduce stuff..

If they get their Dealerships to listen to customers and report back & efficiently with things.

People might trust the Innovations more if the Publicity and Customer Services were better.

george

I am sure you are right.

Once its all tried & sorted, not as they have up to now on 6, 8, 10, 12 cylinder engines but on 4 cylinder inlines.

(should be simple, lets see, BMW are going 3 cylinder & multiples of i believe, like Ford are),

Its just i am getting too old now to wait for the Owners to fight with VW for 3 years before their warranty runs out and VAG can be bothered to sort out any problems promptly without Forums and stuff needing to keep the owners informed.

They do seem to like customers as their testers as they introduce stuff..

If they get their Dealerships to listen to customers and report back & efficiently with things.

People might trust the Innovations more if the Publicity and Customer Services were better.

george

Amen to that! Then I read about Skoda's plans to release new model every 6 months....

Or getting 3 pistons worn and one good one thenbeing forced to buy a set of four is one big down side that I can see.

I would have hoped for the tech to be smart enough to alternate between cylinders to avoid such issues, but you never know with them ba$tards driven by penny pinchers!

George,

IF VAG can just make engines that don't burn expensive oil....would be nice.

Am sure there are a myriad of technical reasons covered in these posts as to why some VAG engines use oil....

IMO feel the Breather fix was just to try to bring some cars into what VAG call acceptable limits of oil consumption.

I forget what it is now. ..

.My 3 previous new other manufacturer cars use no oil between services...and i didn't

even have to lift the bonnet to check..the dash electronics had a nice oil level bar graph, ( I did trust that)

Had to wait until the low oil lamp came on the vRS for the dealer consumption test.. that's below the bottom of the dipstick.

Using oil and running to a low oil warning lamp is something i have not experienced since I owned some clapped out Fords in the late 70's.

G

I drive 1.4TDI turboed 3-pot VAG now. for Diesels it is normal to top up oil between services - never done it in 10 years!

That us almost 20 years old tech and one would expect a bit of progress in the meantime..

I do think it is a design/running-in flaw.

Design wise bore liners have crap tolerances and some are simply too bad for the rings to compensate - most likely reason to me.

This is made worse by gentle driving of the car, where rings have no chance of sealing the holes...

HI Jabozuma.

I would have thought modern CNC production would mean tolerances are always in spec and gentle driving

would make no difference...

Owners like me will say its a design flaw.....Do you think VAG are going to suggest its the way i drove it initially ?...haha

Reminds me of the iPhone 4 signal loss issue, when Steve Jobs the Apple Head suggested it was the way users were holding the phone!!!

Not the design flaw it actually was..?

G

HI Jabozuma.

I would have thought modern CNC production would mean tolerances are always in spec and gentle driving

would make no difference...

Owners like me will say its a design flaw.....Do you think VAG are going to suggest its the way i drove it initially ?...haha

Reminds me of the iPhone 4 signal loss issue, when Steve Jobs the Apple Head suggested it was the way users were holding the phone!!!

Not the design flaw it actually was..?

G

Blocks are cast in sand forms, no CNC there, Liners, not sure :)

It was tried by other manufacturers, the "how you drive is wrong" approach but they lost in courts.

I do believe it is a design or factory running-in problem. I am honestly hard pressed to believe it is oil breather system problem, although it seems really elaborate on this engine... that is the simplest of systems to get right for crying out loud! Also, there should be no additional pressure in the crankcase by combustion gases contribution if there was no riduculously excessive bown down issue present = bad bore liners/rings not bedded in by lack of proper factory bedding in procedure.