VRS Burning oil

James I

1004 miles on the clock, it's brand new. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow or Friday to check they've logged it, they have asked me to check again at the next 500 miles, I'll probably check every 100 now to be more precise.

Could it be that they don't fill the to the max when in factory ? What does it say in the manual on amount that should be used

Let's hope the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) was done correctly and it left the garage with he correct oil level, checked once the Oil was at Normal running temperature.

Because that appears to be a recurring problem. Or a possible problem.

The Capacity given for the oil is 3.6 litres.

MilgeS,

when/what/where, was the first time you checked the oil level yourself?

george

Skoda & VW Owners Handbooks say the likes of 500ml in 1000 km in the first 5000km or something like that, & that is for all sorts of engines.

Just stupid figures you would think,

but actually some engines they turn out do actually drink it at that rate & much worse..

It is time that they fitted Dipsticks that can check the oil level when cold,

& Owners Handbooks with good Translation to English.

IMO,

THey should have clear Warning Signs in Dealerships,

'THe Vehicles sold by the VAG Company may drink oil like it is going out of fashion & some may require 98 RON fuel.'

ASk the Salesperson because if not, they are unlikely to offer this information freely.

george

EDIT,

THis is Quoted from a Fabia Owners Manual.

"It is normal for the engine to consume oil. The oil consumption may be as mach as 0.5l/1 000km depending on your style of driving and the conditions under which you operate the vehicle. The oil consumption may be slightly higher than this during the first 5000km."

"One should therefore check the oil level at regular intervals, preferably every time after the fuel tank is filled or after driving for long stretches."

"We recommend maintaining the oil level within the range (A) if the engine has been operating at high loads, for example during a lengthy motorway trip during summer months, towing a trailer or nagotiating a high mountain pass, but not above this."

"THe warning light in the instrument cluster* will indicate whether the oil level is too low. In this case, check the oil level as soon as possible. Top up with an appropriate quality of oil."

*****(NOTE That this is a General Fabia Owners manual & not specific to MK 2 vRS)*****

MilgeS,

when/what/where, was the first time you checked the oil level yourself?

george

Hi George

First dip was cold in the showroom, nigh on impossible to read because of poor artificial light and pure clean oil but looked like top of hatch area, as I say, not conclusive.

Checked when I got it home and left for an hour, not on perfect level but close and looked like mid hatch again.

Checked at 500 miles, still difficult to see, this time run up to 85c on the level and left for 5 minutes to settle, lower hatch area, added 250 ml which brought it to upper hatch so left it at that.

Checked today as wife told me oil warning light and message was showing, not perfect level but nothing at all showing on the stick, not even the ball on the bottom. The rest is in my earlier post.

Dave

I keep asking the same question on here, but nobody ever replies to the question.

'When dipped cold where is the oil on your dipstick?'

On both my engines with the correct oil quantity, you could not check because the oil is up at the top orange marker when the oil is stone cold..

I have dipped various other vRS at dealerships & at a Traders Auction and seen oil lower than this on the dipstick.

* That shows as at the top of the Hatched Area when checked with the oil above 80 degrees celsius,

with the correct 3.6 litres in, because i put the oil in so know how much there is in.*

so please anyone.

'Where does the Oil Level sit on the dipstick of your vRS, when the oil is cold and the engine has not been run for several hours?'

george

so please anyone.

'Where does the Oil Level sit on the dipstick of your vRS, when the oil is cold and the engine has not been run for several hours?'

george

As I said above, not on perfect level (facing slight uphill) mine was mid hatch, I know it's top of hatch when warm and level after 5 minutes so I'll check in the morning and let you know again not on perfect level (it's better for my own reference outside not perfect level as I don't live anywhere to leave on perfect level)

Just wondering all, what "gestures of goodwill" have you managed to get out of Skoda for all this hassle? I'm trying to work out what to do (Going to get some legal advice tomorrow) but wondering what the 'best' anyone has managed to compensate them for all this?

I'm thinking that a warranty extension and service plan extension seems at the very least reasonable, and something that they have a huge mark up on. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Just wondering all, what "gestures of goodwill" have you managed to get out of Skoda for all this hassle? I'm trying to work out what to do (Going to get some legal advice tomorrow) but wondering what the 'best' anyone has managed to compensate them for all this?

I'm thinking that a warranty extension and service plan extension seems at the very least reasonable, and something that they have a huge mark up on. Thoughts?

I got 3 free service and a year warranty extended .

Latest update from me. Car is going in next week to have the engine stripped down and further investigation.

Lets see what happens.

What was done so far and in what time frames?

They cannot keep attempting repairs as long as they see fit, it is not pas the test of being reasonable and not causing you unreasonable hardship.

OK, so after 2400km the level was down to about 1/3 of the way up the cross-hatched section. I didn't really want to be waiting until lights came on, so I added 250ml of Liquimoly 504 rated 5W/30, and it was back to 3/4 of the cross-hatched section. I decided to leave it at that and also to remain calm and positive. :sweat:

With these engines there definitely seems to be a trend with gentle treatment and oil usage. I apreciate some of these cars probably do have a "problem" but reckon many are probably a result of having not bedded in just yet.

Probably just me but if my motor was inflicted with oil usage issues like this I'd probably just drive it a bit harder for a few K, live with the oil use and would almost put money on the fact that things would gradually improve.

Car has a 7k redline, its not possible care of the DSG to rev past it, not going to hurt it (so long as its warm.....but even then it doesn't bother me so much), bed those rings in!

And in any case seems to be a trend with most current VAG TSi engines, my dad has had a 2010 A3 1.4 TFSi 125 DSG and an A5 2.0 TFSi 180 and both have used more oil than he's used to, to the point that both cars have repeatedly been to the dealers....inclined to think its probably more to do with the sedate way they've been driven rather than being something phycially wrong with them.

Mine goes back in a couple of days. I've been told if it appears to still be using oil after tests then its new engine time. I have this is writing too from the main dealer after consultation with SUK.

Oh and a guy I work with also has an A5 2.0 TFSi, he drives it gently and also uses oil like its gone out of fashion.

I think you are absolutely right with running in. I've been advocating this on briskie since I came here :). My engine is CTHE series, which supposedly had oil usage fixed but there is at least one member here with the same engine and it's drinking oil. I was religiously doing my running in routine (high gears in manual, low revs and full ope throttle) and in 700 miles it has used absolutely no oil whatsoever. I strongly believe it was due to my running-in routine. It is strange dealers do not advise doing this... Or it is not actually being done at the factory on dynos...