Shell V-Power Diesel vs Normal Diesel

65 members have voted

1. 1. Have you run V-Power Diesel?

2. 2. Did you notice an increase in MPG?

• Yes - Please reply and state increased amount
    • No
    • N/A - If answered No to Q1
  3. 3. Did you notice a change in normal driving conditions

• Yes - Yes - Please reply and explain the benefits
    • No
    • N/A - If answered No to Q1

I know this will have probably been done but it got me thinking this morning when filling up.

My local Fuel stations all sell regular Diesel at £1.39+ so I try to fill up when in Sheffield on my way to work at a Shell garage which is the cheapest on my journey.

Now with the Shark RR day looming and me needing over 50L of juice it got me thinking, Does V-Power Diesel actualy have any benefits over Regular Diesel? (I filled up with Regular, too much of a tight wad to buy V-Power :giggle: )

I'm very happy with how my car runs on Regular Shell Diesel and since the Shark Remap the lowest mpg I've seen is 48.7mpg (I have had lower but I was too busy enjoying the new found power and working out how to get the best from it).

Please complete the attached Poll & add feel free to write about your experiences, although please keep it on topic as this could be usefull to alot of people.

Matthew

I never used anything but v power as I was pretty underwelmed with stock performance so wanted to get as much out of it as I could. I also used diesel additive and that helped a bit. I still always used v power after my remap too. I averaged about 36 or 37mpg.

In my last Octavia, a 105PS 1.9TDI, I measured fuel consumption over the full 36k miles that I had it recording the mpg for each brand of fuel. I posted it a year or so ago here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/177487-an-old-chestnut-but-with-real-data-this-time/page__p__2137663__hl__chestnut__fromsearch__1entry2137663

Shell V-Power came out worse than standard Shell in my test!

In summary:

Standard Shell - 5756 miles, 513.8litres = 50.8mpg

V Power = 4181 miles, 374.6 litres = 50.6mpg

Best premium diesel was BP ultimate at 52.4mpg

Best standard diesel (excluding results from single tankfulls) was Esso at 51.6.

All in all, within experimental error, there was very little between 'em!

Approx 40 miles extra per tank full.

Car appears to have smoother response and strangley enough seems quieter?

Same can be said for BP Ultimate.:thumbup:

This is what I was expecting to hear, I tried a couple of tanks in SWMBO's old Fabia and saw similar results, Smoothnes of the drive although the MPG didn't change

I don't get any extra mpg in my Fabia, but it reduces the smoke IMO. So I always run with it.

Again, Nice to hear it can help with the smoke

In my last Octavia, a 105PS 1.9TDI, I measured fuel consumption over the full 36k miles that I had it recording the mpg for each brand of fuel. I posted it a year or so ago here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/177487-an-old-chestnut-but-with-real-data-this-time/page__p__2137663__hl__chestnut__fromsearch__1entry2137663

Shell V-Power came out worse than standard Shell in my test!

In summary:

Standard Shell - 5756 miles, 513.8litres = 50.8mpg

V Power = 4181 miles, 374.6 litres = 50.6mpg

Best premium diesel was BP ultimate at 52.4mpg

Best standard diesel (excluding results from single tankfulls) was Esso at 51.6.

All in all, within experimental error, there was very little between 'em!

These are the facts that I was looking for :thumbup: , while I know every car will be slightly different I can't see running a normal car on Premium Diesel will make enough of a difference to the performance/economy for the cost, although running a highly tuned/high performance Diesel may show better results

I also fill up with the expencive stuff as I believe, but have no proof, that Quality fuel helps the DPF. I Also think the car is a little bit more responsive.

Been loads of threads on this but each to there own

You may well be onto something with the DPF, slightly better grade of fuel may help to prolong the life of the DMF especially on shorter runs.

Couldn't agree more with the amount of threads that can be found on here/tinterweb but the majority that I've seen are all for the Petrol engines and few todo with the Diesels.

Could do with some more input... Anyone running a Hybrid Turbo who has run Normal/Premium Diesel?

You may well be onto something with the DPF, slightly better grade of fuel may help to prolong the life of the DMF especially on shorter runs.

Couldn't agree more with the amount of threads that can be found on here/tinterweb but the majority that I've seen are all for the Petrol engines and few todo with the Diesels.

@Matt, I also chucked in a full tin of JLM DPF cleaner ( £24:99 off the Web ) into a full tank of BP Ultimate Derv. It smells very "petrol like" and I actually think the car doesn't regen as much. I only make short journeys to and from work so I think that might help the DPF also

I'll keep you Informed

Andy

@Matt, I also chucked in a full tin of JLM DPF cleaner ( £24:99 off the Web ) into a full tank of BP Ultimate Derv. It smells very "petrol like" and I actually think the car doesn't regen as much. I only make short journeys to and from work so I think that might help the DPF also

I'll keep you Informed

Andy

Andy,

Its good to hear about the JLM DPF cleaner, I have a friend who has just bought a Leon FR pd170 and the longest journey he does is about 20miles and was thinking about removing the DPF but put off by the cost. It sounds like you maybe onto something that would suit him very well.

Matthew

Andy,

Its good to hear about the JLM DPF cleaner, I have a friend who has just bought a Leon FR pd170 and the longest journey he does is about 20miles and was thinking about removing the DPF but put off by the cost. It sounds like you maybe onto something that would suit him very well.

Matthew

Tell him to try it, not a lot to lose and It's only once a year stuff as it says on the tin. After every service. Try Amazon

"Premium diesel" is complete bull and when you add up the additonal cost versus the alleged gains (which are at best small or non-existent) there is simply no point in using it.

Hige octane petrol is a different matter and has a definate use in high performance engines but premium diesel is just cobblers.

Oh and by the way, fuel is traded on the IPE as a commodity. Companies buy it and add their own "additive package". Arguments about "Sainbury's fuel is better than Asda" are meaningless as the base product is almost certainly the same! Loads of info on the web - Google is your friend!

Oh and please think twice before putting cans of snake oil into your tank...:giggle:

As others have noticed, I filled up with VPower last time (I had a £3.50 off voucher) so far I have done 350 miles and the car is returning an average of 45 MPG, which is worse than the last tankful (Tesco) @ 47MPG.

I do use the std Shell (fuelsave) diesel when I am passing a Shell station and I am low enough to fill up as they are normally the cheapest around, BUT my 170CR Superb is returning between 45 - 47MPG no matter what brand I put in - it usually returns the most MPG on Tesco fuel :giggle:

Will I use VPower again? :think: :no:

After the comments and looking at the Poll I think it's fair to say that Premium Diesel isn't worth the extra cost, It can't make the power delivery any smoother in my car as Ben's map is ubber smooth so I certainly shant be buying Premium Diesel.

Thanks All :thumbup:

I have run all my cars primarily on Shell diesel.

Found v power did improve mpg and smoke bur was expensive.

Bought a Millers additive which does same job and works out cheaper I bought 5 litres for about £40 a long time ago and still have lots left.(add 100ml to full tank).

Tried a few tankfuls - Only difference is less smoke when booting it. No difference in MPG and marginal difference in power. Not worth the extra £3 a tank. My local Shell garage very occasionally does a one day offer where they sell the vpower for the same price as the vanilla so I go there on fumes and fill a 20 litre jerry can too.

The petrol subaru feels more powerful on vpower petrol but I reserve that treat for special occasions!

Bought a Millers additive which does same job and works out cheaper I bought 5 litres for about £40 a long time ago and still have lots left.(add 100ml to full tank).

No offence Fibaman but I really struggle to understand why people use fuel additives. There is mountains of evidence on the web that demonstrates that in the majority of cases these have little or no effect and in some cases have been proven to be rather detrimental to the health of your engine! Look I am no different to the next guy when it comes to the placebo effect - if you think its doing good then it is - but when there is a cost involved and a risk (however small) that you could damage something, I just don't see the point.

Millers is a reputable company and their oils are exceptional however it's a really easy thing for them to produce a snake oil..................and it is commonplace for manufacturers to overstate the effectivness.

Consider this - most manufacturers do not recommend the use of additives and in some cases state that said use will invalidate warranty!

I have yet to see a evidence where a fuel additive might be of benefit, and contrary to the many anecdotal reports of marvelous results, I have never seen one verified example of an additive providing any benefit beyond shrinking the wallet!

The posting was about the use of "premium fuel". Given that most people have not noticed and improvement from a product that is in effect a standard bearer with additives (a fuel addiitive?), where is the difference?

No offence Fibaman but I really struggle to understand why people use fuel additives. There is mountains of evidence on the web that demonstrates that in the majority of cases these have little or no effect and in some cases have been proven to be rather detrimental to the health of your engine! Look I am no different to the next guy when it comes to the placebo effect - if you think its doing good then it is - but when there is a cost involved and a risk (however small) that you could damage something, I just don't see the point.

Millers is a reputable company and their oils are exceptional however it's a really easy thing for them to produce a snake oil..................and it is commonplace for manufacturers to overstate the effectivness.

Consider this - most manufacturers do not recommend the use of additives and in some cases state that said use will invalidate warranty!

I have yet to see a evidence where a fuel additive might be of benefit, and contrary to the many anecdotal reports of marvelous results, I have never seen one verified example of an additive providing any benefit beyond shrinking the wallet!

The posting was about the use of "premium fuel". Given that most people have not noticed and improvement from a product that is in effect a standard bearer with additives (a fuel addiitive?), where is the difference?

I couldn't agree more. I've been down the Miller Power Sport4 route with my old Octavia and SWMBO's old Fabia vRS and the only notable difference was a slightly smoother throttle response.