Is the Yeti as quick as a super car?

gadgetman

Dream on, everyone. I can assure you that my 1.8TSi Yeti, though not slow, is nowhere near as fast as my 367bhp BMW, which is itself no longer up with the true supercars.

I realise that one of the main purposes of forums like this is self-congratulation and mutual congratulation on what a wonderful purchase we have all made, but reality and truth need to get a look-in occasionally too.

Dream on, everyone. I can assure you that my 1.8TSi Yeti, though not slow, is nowhere near as fast as my 367bhp BMW, which is itself no longer up with the true supercars.

Of course you're right about Yeti -v- the real supercars and the bigger engined Germans ... but the Yeti is certainly a match for the 'rep spec' BMW/Audi brigade that make up the majority of the numbers out there. It's good to upset those that think just because they share a badge with an M3 that they share its performance.

My yeti weighs 1500kg and has 140 bhp.This is why it is not fast. And neither is anybody else's compared to a 911 or 458 for example.Are people believing there is a logic behind the daft 160 mph speedo ? Cos mine wouldnt even do 140 if you dropped it out of a plane. And as for the Audi stuff- guys it's all the same oily bits anyway.How fast a car goes on the road has little to do with the speed of the car but the driver's willingness to break speed limits or take a higher level of risk. I have been left behind by very humble cars when in the R400 beacuse , for example, I dont think driving at 50 in a 30 limit is clever, nor do I rate overtaking when you cant see properly. But on a track- if you have never been in a properly quick car on sticky tyres you would not believe how fast you can go.

My yeti weighs 1500kg and has 140 bhp.

1500 kg and 170 HP is around 9 KG/HP and a 0-100 km/h of 8.4 seconds.

My BMW K 100 RS is 350 kg with rider and has 100 HP, 3.5 kg/HP and 0-100 in less than 4 seconds.

After riding the K 100 for a few hours B) , the Yeti feels painfully slow :doh:

I realise that one of the main purposes of forums like this is self-congratulation and mutual congratulation on what a wonderful purchase we have all made, but reality and truth need to get a look-in occasionally too.

:D

You have a Yeti? A fine choice! Congratulations :thumbup:

• Like 1

Well I've embarrased a couple of BMW's! :giggle:

And that is excluding the BMW 4x4 I towed out of a drift last winter!! :giggle: :giggle:

HAAHAA that's SOOOOOOOOO funneeeee emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Speed limit is still 70mph around here.

Doesn't matter how fast your car is, the faster one will be the driver who is prepared to break the law by more...

Indeed!

You often see powerful cars being driven very carefully at the speed limit. I often wonder how many points they must have on their license to drive like that in that car and how pointless cars like ferraris really are in the real world where we just need to go from A to B in reasonable comfort and carry some passengers and luggage. And arrive with our spines intact and not broken on the speed humps. I suspect they would not get very far round where I live. I often feel I need the Yeti's extra ground clearance for the humps and potholes.

You often see powerful cars being driven very carefully at the speed limit.

I'm one of those drivers, and it's not because of points on my licence; I've never had any. In my case the reasons are:

- you no longer feel any need to compete with the Vauxhall Ashtrays and the repmobiles passing you at 85 when you know you could almost double that speed if you chose. It's all very serene;

- if you don't practise moderation most of the time, the fuel consumption drops into the teens;

- we drive very carefully at the speed limit until nobody at all is watching ...

I don't think the question is very relevant. Of course the Yeti is not as fast as, say, a Jag.

But more relevant is the performance on the open road, my Yeti has enough "go" to pass safely and the road holding is so good that I can keep up a fast average on most A roads.

The other point is that the Yeti is a joy to drive, comfortable over long distances, easy to handle and responsive. I have had to travel back to Manchester, every week, in this last month. I use the route via the Wrexham by-pass, across to the A5 and then, via Bala, to Porthmadog. The route has everything from windey bits to long straight stretches over the mountains. Now I look forward to the journey. I set the cruise control to 60 (+) and let the car do the work. Fantastic!

The o/p's post does illustrate that the drivers of very fast cars seldom use their performance. They can't and keep their licences. Many of them are bought as a means of showing off their wealth-mere ostentation.Many of their drivers are no where near capable of using even half of their potential.

I once saw a 911 taking the Barton Mills roundabout (A11/A1065) in Norfolk at something like full chat.It is still imprinted on my memory as an awesome piece of driving and was 40 years ago.I once had a short blat as a passenger on a familiar B road in a 355i and can similarly remember the experience and the look of complete disbelief on the face of the oncoming Panda car driver.

My point being that with those exceptions I have never seen anyone using a supercar on the road faster than a determined hot hatch pedaller.

So -on the road- a yeti is capable of being driven faster than a supercar. Coming from a 2.0 Tfsi 200bhp Leon with uprated brakes and suspension my journey times are similar up to about a 100 mile trip and the same over a 400-500 mile day.

The only difference being how comfortable I am when I arrive and how much fuel I have used.

Both improved by 50%

I'm one of those drivers, and it's not because of points on my licence; I've never had any. In my case the reasons are:

- you no longer feel any need to compete with the Vauxhall Ashtrays and the repmobiles passing you at 85 when you know you could almost double that speed if you chose. It's all very serene;

- if you don't practise moderation most of the time, the fuel consumption drops into the teens;

- we drive very carefully at the speed limit until nobody at all is watching ...

Me too - please don't compare a Yeti with a purpose designed high performance sports car. It is a ridiculous comparison :giggle: Part of the pleasure of owning a car is how it makes you feel, and personally, my BMW Z4 makes me feel good when I drive it :yes: My other car is a Honda Jazz, and no matter how hard you argue that it is more practical, more fuel efficient, more environmentally friendly etc. etc. there is no substitute for the growl of a big engine in a small car - especially if you can drop the top down and hear the birds singing as you blast around on the open road B) It's not a status symbol for me, it's just another of life's pleasures, and much as I am looking forward to getting my Yeti next year , I know which car I will choose for a weekend in the Lakes ;)

I know which car I will choose for a weekend in the Lakes ;)

I kind of agree with everything you said. My 'toy' is an MGB with a 3.5 litre V8 Rover engine. On sunny days, and for trips away for the weekend the Yeti should get left at home ... but somehow - I've done less than 300 miles in the MG this year.

Because I've seen 3 in the last few days on the tailpipes of Porsche's or Ferrari's.

Yesterday on the A41 R60*** after a Porsche.

Might have been me?

But I'm not generally in the habit of chasing them, just maybe giving a little bit of encouragement to "make progress where appropriate" :giggle: