Will you be switching to Winter tyres this year?

Allams Skoda

Cold Weather Tyres  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be using Winter Tyres this year?

• Yes - I'll be changing my wheels and tyres
    • Yes - I'll be changing my tyres but keeping the standard wheels
    • No - (Never used Winter tyres before)
    • No - (Used Winter tyres before)

Just a bit curious as to everyones thoughts on Winter tyres.

I went to a Winter tyre event held by a tyre manufacture recently and they certainly made a strong point for the benefits of winter tyres, also gave an extremely impressive demonstation. I knew winter tyres worked well but not the extent that they proved.

Driving a BMW up a ski slope for example was hugely impressive in my opinion!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a Winter tyre event held by a tyre manufacture recently and they certainly made a strong point for the benefits of winter tyres, also gave an extremely impressive demonstation. I knew winter tyres worked well but not the extent that they proved.

Mmmm ... some of us are going the 'middle way' James, not allowed for in your poll; Goodyear 4 seasons all weather tyres.

I already have a site booked on my computer that has stack of my very hard to come by size in winters ;) 205/40/17's... £62 each delivered! wow. nexens... supposed to be quite good.

I haven't done it before, but 2 factors, I now have DSG so a bit less control, and I now live in a very remote village that frezzes real bad with untreated roads!

oh! lol.l.. this is in the yeti section !

I have a fabia vRS, bit never mind ;)

Mmmm ... some of us are going the 'middle way' James, not allowed for in your poll; Goodyear 4 seasons all weather tyres.

I assumed that was option 2 as they don't come as a standard tyre. So I went for that.

I have a second hand set-bought from a member here- After the last two winters I have become fed up with tyres designed for 7c plus temperatures.

So first 4wd (since a Vitara in 1990) first winter tyres ever. Roll on a fine mild winter! :rofl:

Wish I could but I doubt if the lease compant would let me or my employers pay for the wheels and tyres as it is a company lease car.

As the car is really for work and about 4 times as much work driving as private, my motto last year was if I couldn't get off my estate, then I didn't need to go anywhere.

Edited by kenfowler3966

Having driven last year for the first time ever on winter tyres I am now a convert. Hugely impressive, in wet and cold and even more so on ice and snow.

Sorry, I'm slighty Off Topic. Would the winter tyres account for your MPG of is that down to the DSG or both. The DSG on my old Octy cost about 6MPG.

I'm getting 44MPG driving briskley! ;)

Regards

Sorry, I'm slighty Off Topic. Would the winter tyres account for your MPG of is that down to the DSG or both. The DSG on my old Octy cost about 6MPG.

I'm getting 44MPG driving briskley! ;)

Regards

My DSG is the most economical of the 3 that show their fuel consumption, the others being 900000 & Bahnstormer_vrs. I drive around London 90% of the time, average speed about 16mph........ I don't know the meaning of the word 'briskly' emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

The DSG does not seem very economical. Not bad, but nowhere near my old Octavia 2.0PD L&L DSG estate.emoticon-0149-no.gif But I never drove that all the time around London.

I was running in the car, (still am at 12,000 miles) when I had winter tyres on for fist 2000 miles or so. Not sure that it made much of a difference to fuel economy. Stop start driving makes the most difference, oh, and towing a caravan and maintaining 60 mph up steep hills.....emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Even though my latest Monster is correctly shod with 16" alloys and 215/60 tyres as standard ;) I have a set of equivalant steels and winters waiting for the inevitable; this goes for the wife's Fabia also.

Been running winters now for two years; brought about by hair raising winter experiences trying to drive on the standard sports tyres now fitted to all higher spec Skoda's :S

TP

I already have a site booked on my computer that has stack of my very hard to come by size in winters ;) 205/40/17's... £62 each delivered! wow. nexens... supposed to be quite good.

I haven't done it before, but 2 factors, I now have DSG so a bit less control, and I now live in a very remote village that frezzes real bad with untreated roads!

oh! lol.l.. this is in the yeti section !

I have a fabia vRS, bit never mind ;)

We have these tyre on the Fabia Dave..They were fantastic last winter and very little wear from Nov to March!!

The Nokians from my now departed Octy are going on my wife's Audi A3 and I have some brand new Vredesteins for the yeti. The Nokians are going on the Audi at the end of next week when it gets its service. We're nudging along at 6 degrees most mornings now so won;t be long before we're into consistent winter tyre temps. My touareg driving neighbour now has a tiguan as well so maybe this year I'll get to pull both of them out of the snow (both have big fat sports tyres)

:giggle:

We have these tyre on the Fabia Dave..They were fantastic last winter and very little wear from Nov to March!!

thats good to know, half the price of the pirellis too! lol... there are only 3 makes in this size I've found... I'm gonna order the nexens next month :thumbup:

Yes I'll switch in a month or so, for the first to winter tyres.

Just booked at the Skoda service. They are offering two different sets of Yeti's tyres (with iron wheel) for the 94H index type,

Continental 205 55 16R 94H @ 820 €

Barum [polaris 3 xx] 205 55 16R 94H @ 692 €

I've decided for the latest, they'll replace for a few month my original Dunlop 225 50 R17 94W.

I do hope not to regret my choice since I have very little info about Barum (Czech brand owned by continental).

price has played a relevant part in my decision, but anyway I don't live in a rural area, so even a just decently performing tyres on a 4x4 should run good enough.

...now winter comes slowly

Cheers

The poll is kinda interesting......all those who have experienced the safety and comfort of proper winter wellies are in favor, but those who have not tried it are not convinced.

There is a message there.

Mine do not go on till around 1. December - unless the forecast dictates otherwise. Or to put it another way - when the K100 flying brick gets to be put away for the winter, the tyres go on Snehvide.

I had the last two winters in Derbyshire in a Volvo V70 2wd with Vredestein Quadtrac and they were very good on our lane which is 1200ft up and not on a gritting run.

The winter before I used Snow shoes which were good when needed, but a nuisance to put on and take off.

I am now the proud owner of a Yeti 110 SE 4x4 and am eagerly awaiting the snow as I have just bought a spare set of alloys to have the Vredesteins fitted.

The winter tyres really do make a difference; to anyone hesitating, I would say that if your council do not do much in the way of gritting then get a set of winter tyres.

Hi All,

I’ve replaced my front tyres with new summer tyres a few months ago, rears are coming up for replacement soon after 25k miles.

Would it make any sense to replace them with all seasons (or winters) and move them to the front during the winter then onto the rear during the summer.

Just a thought, but this way I wouldn’t need to have a second set of wheels and tyres and no where to put them.

Cheers,

Hi All,

I’ve replaced my front tyres with new summer tyres a few months ago, rears are coming up for replacement soon after 25k miles.

Would it make any sense to replace them with all seasons (or winters) and move them to the front during the winter then onto the rear during the summer.

Just a thought, but this way I wouldn’t need to have a second set of wheels and tyres and no where to put them.

Cheers,

I wouldn't recommend having 2 different types of tyres front and rear. Always best to have both axles with same types of tyre. You really don't want to spin the car in an emergency braking situation do you?

See this thread in the Octavia forum. All answers are in there along with some interesting video's.

I wouldn't recommend having 2 different types of tyres front and rear. Always best to have both axles with same types of tyre. You really don't want to spin the car in an emergency braking situation do you?

See this thread in the Octavia forum. All answers are in there along with some interesting video's.

Thanks for that rockhopper, an impressive video. I shall rethink my strategy.

Cheers

Thanks rockhopper.

Everyone should have a look at the videos, they describe exactly what we learn here in Norway,

all season tyres are not really fit for winter use. They provide a very false feeling of security,

while in fact they are almost just as bad as summertires on snow and ice.

I used all seasons on an Land Rover years ago, but after a month of snow I had to change

to "proper" wintertyres to avoid a coming heart attack. Too scary to drive on those, at least here

in Norway in the winter.

:whew: