New Skoda Citigo: A small Skoda for the city.

ColinD

• Administrators

• ŠKODA enters the city car segment with its sixth production model
  • The ŠKODA Citigo will be launched in the Czech market in late 2011
  • Launched in the UK and rest of Europe from summer 2012
  • First-class safety features, attractive design and economical petrol engines

ŠKODA is continuing its growth offensive by introducing its sixth production model. Citigo is the name of ŠKODA's exciting new city car. The brand's new model will make its debut in its domestic market, the Czech Republic, before the end of this year, with the UK and other European countries following at the beginning of summer 2012. Offering impressive amounts of space and four seats, the Citigo will be launched in three-door and five-door versions.

“The Citigo is one of the pillars of our growth strategy. It paves the way for tremendous opportunities in a new segment,” said ŠKODA Board Chairman Prof. Dr. h.c. Winfried Vahland. “The Citigo is literally a ‘Simply Clever’ car. Despite its small size, it offers ample interior space; it is agile while frugal. Put simply: it’s an attractive choice offering many clever ideas. The car offers all of ŠKODA's values in a compact package and fits perfectly with our aims.”

With the Citigo, ŠKODA is entering a new sector. “The demand for small cars with low fuel consumption, at a favourable price and with reasonable operating costs, is growing,” continues Prof. Vahland. “ŠKODA's new small vehicle is a reaction to this trend. We are entering new ground and the Citigo will attract prospects mainly in our European markets.”

The designers have given the car a distinct look that defines this as a new ŠKODA. The finned grille set in a chrome-plated frame and precisely shaped headlamps give the car a typical ŠKODA look. The Citigo will measure just 3.56 metres long, 1.65 metres wide and 1.48 metres high.

The ŠKODA Citigo is an ideal car in and out of the city. It offers a surprisingly generous interior space, something not usually found in a city car but typical of all ŠKODA models. This has been created with the clear and transparent arrangement of all elements. The car's long wheel base – 2.42 metres – provides enough comfort for four passengers even on long trips. The boot volume is a sizeable 251 litres, which can be extended to 951 litres by folding down the rear seats.

The Citigo’s interior not only offers practical space but also a high level of quality and precision in its design. Front headrests integrated into the seats, as well as a number of other smart solutions, make the Citigo a ‘simply clever vehicle’. The interior design includes numerous storage compartments, cup holders and multimedia systems, as well as storage pockets on the sides of the front seats. In addition, a special bag hook integrated in to the glovebox handle, and a photograph holder on the central console, are two clever interior elements.

The vehicle boasts a number of solutions to help improve overall comfort. In the three-door version, the ‘Easy Entry’ system allows easy access to the rear seats. The front passenger's seat can be moved and folded forward to ensure easy access to the rear seats. For the first time in a ŠKODA vehicle, a portable navigation system is available. The device is fitted to the dashboard and can be removed easily and used on the go. Being an integral part of the vehicle's onboard electronics, the system provides not just navigation, but also hands-free calling with built-in Bluetooth and onboard infotainment. Using a 5-inch touch screen, the driver can view important information about the car (onboard computer, optical signals from the parking sensors, etc).

The Citigo places great emphasis on safety. For the first time in a ŠKODA vehicle, the designers have used a Head-Thorax side airbag to protect the heads of both the driver and the front seat passenger. Along with a number of other items, this system is part of a safety package usually found on much larger cars. In addition, active safety is enhanced by the ‘City Safe Drive’, a new brake assistance system based on a laser sensor that is activated automatically at speeds below 30 km/h when there is danger of a collision. Depending on the speed and the traffic situation, this automatic braking solution may completely prevent a collision or at least reduce its severity. The risk of bumping into the car ahead is thus reduced significantly in city traffic. The Citigo is one of only two cars in the city car segment to offer the emergency braking functionality.

Two new, three-cylinder 1.0-litre petrol engines will be available after the Citigo's launch (44kW/60PS and 55kW/75PS). The engines and the transmission have been designed to provide optimum economy in cities and their surroundings. Reaching the operating temperature even on short distances, the engines are highly economical. Two highly economical green engines will offer impressively low fuel consumption figures of 67.3mpg and 65.7mpg respectively; with emissions of just 97g and 99g CO2/km respectively. The fuel consumption and emission levels for the standard engines are also low – 62.8mpg and 105g CO2/km with the 60PS engine and 60.1mpg and 108g CO2/km with the 75PS unit.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they make a vRS version to rival the Twingo!

I'm sure a 1.2TSi version tweaked up to 120-135bhp would be plenty to give it some zip.

Looks pretty cool and the introduction of the 'City Safe Drive' is a bonus, I'm sure that will be rolled out through the range in time and hopefully perhaps some sort of adaptive cruise control system on the Superb.

A good step for Skoda. Looking forward to launch and then the Vision D and Mission L cars.

I reckon it looks like a particularly ugly and cheap korean or malaysian creation.

Which I suppose are its main competitors. So it'll look like they do but be built to higher standards.

That type of vehicle isn't the kind I would ever buy myself but I can appreciate that it is a good car for the market, and not everyone cares how a car looks some people even like unusual looking cars.

There are some photos of it here-

http://www.skoda-auto.com/COM/about/info/news/news/Pages/2011_106_citigo.aspx

Okaaaay having seen the pictures,( Thanks for the linky) the only real comments i have are as follows:-

• Rear windows & quarter panel look very much like the old Polo square back.
  • Front layout looks very much like the original metro.

The overall design from these pics can only be described for me, bland, uninspiring, no corporate image ( grille/ lights), its a very old eastern euorpean design, the competition they are going for Kia etc look modern. ( at least the VW UP has some character)

Now this comment I like - The key target groups are young drivers, young families looking to get themselves a second or even third car, and also “best agers.”

emoticon-0104-surprised.gif lots of families are struggling with a 2nd car never mind a 3rd, specially in this economic climate with the cost of fuel & insurance

Im not sure Young drivers or 'best agers' will like the plain design.

I like Skodas, theyre not flashy, they work with the times, but every car manufacturer has built a horror car, for me this is Skodas. it belongs in the 1950, not even good enough for the 60's emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif.

Well i think you get the gist of my comments - I wont be considering 1 of these when i need a small town car ( would prefer a Smart it has character)

Thinking of a downsize next and so this looks like a possible replacement for my Yeti in March 2013. The interior shots that I have seen look particularly good.

Hi shrub,

hoping your keeping well; surprised your thinking of letting the Monster go, always more than happy to get behind the wheel of the Yeti after driving the Fabia's for a while, even the excellent TSI 85.

Re the new city car not my cup of tea I'm afraid and I'm still very unsure of the whole new Skoda design direction.

Regards,

TP

Okaaaay having seen the pictures,( Thanks for the linky) the only real comments i have are as follows:-

• Rear windows & quarter panel look very much like the old Polo square back.
  • Front layout looks very much like the original metro.

The overall design from these pics can only be described for me, bland, uninspiring, no corporate image ( grille/ lights), its a very old eastern euorpean design, the competition they are going for Kia etc look modern. ( at least the VW UP has some character)

Now this comment I like - The key target groups are young drivers, young families looking to get themselves a second or even third car, and also “best agers.â€

emoticon-0104-surprised.gif lots of families are struggling with a 2nd car never mind a 3rd, specially in this economic climate with the cost of fuel & insurance

Im not sure Young drivers or 'best agers' will like the plain design.

I like Skodas, theyre not flashy, they work with the times, but every car manufacturer has built a horror car, for me this is Skodas. it belongs in the 1950, not even good enough for the 60's emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif.

Well i think you get the gist of my comments - I wont be considering 1 of these when i need a small town car ( would prefer a Smart it has character)

Couldn't agree with you more on these comments Mr Collins, also not at all happy about the fact that it has what will be I guess another step towards drivers not actually driving but being shuttled around in a personal pod. Talking of POD...... it reminds me of a Kia Pride from a couple of decades ago but updated with a bland 'Euro Look'. I agree with Steve about the Polo element, personally I can also see elements of Smart for Two in the rear bumper wheel arch area. I was unsure about the grille on the Mission L concept but having seen it on this car, I would say at best its Old East European, at worst just plain bad!! Sorry for the negativeness if you happen to like it but I think in design it's an enormous step backwards. The pull out Sat Nav/car computer display thingy is cool though but what happens if you lose/damage it whilst using it out of the vehicle? Will the car still function if it's interactive display is no longer interactive?

I actually don't think it looks too bad and remember this is going to be a car for around £7-7.5k, so you cannot expect whizzbangs and super styling. It is being built to a lowish budget, and in its target market, people don't give 2 hoots what the car looks like. Just look at the Aygo & C1 & 107....They aren't exactly lookers, but they sell.

A good step for Skoda. Looking forward to launch and then the Vision D and Mission L cars.

Is the VisionD actually going to happen then?

The production MissionL should be at Geneva in March but I thought the VisionD was just a study.

Hi shrub,

hoping your keeping well; surprised your thinking of letting the Monster go, always more than happy to get behind the wheel of the Yeti after driving the Fabia's for a while, even the excellent TSI 85.

Re the new city car not my cup of tea I'm afraid and I'm still very unsure of the whole new Skoda design direction.

Regards,

TP

Hello there TP,

Been a while since I posted. Really must visit the site more often....... I'm doing fine thanks.

Rest assured that I am not thinking of getting rid of the still wonderful Monster anytime soon. It will take a special car to replace it although I do have a soft spot for small hatchbacks so maybe if this is a good one I'll consider it when the time comes. Maybe in a year or so there will be a new Fabia to look at as well......

All the best,

Shrub

I actually don't think it looks too bad and remember this is going to be a car for around £7-7.5k, so you cannot expect whizzbangs and super styling. It is being built to a lowish budget, and in its target market, people don't give 2 hoots what the car looks like. Just look at the Aygo & C1 & 107....They aren't exactly lookers, but they sell.

I think the 107 has always looked modern & appropriate for it's sector, Kia Picanto has always been cute & modern. Skoda have been trying hard to improve their image & look more up to date. This doesn't look cute or modern at all!

Isn't this just the same as the new UP!?

CITIGO_01.jpg

car_photo_458002_25.jpg

I think the UP! is much more modern looking?

it will be interesting to see what it actually looks like in the flesh, computer rendering does not help show what a car actually looks like in the real world.

I quite like it, its sort of classy compared to some city cars and its a lot better than the VW Fox! Id buy one for the missus if and when her Pug 107 dies one day. Has anyone seen the rear, its 100 times nicer than the UP. If its 7.5k just think after a few months what the discounts will be :thumbup: