Underbonnet sound insulation

Yes I did, when we first got the car. Not made any difference that I could tell.

The only reason I went for it, help keep the temperature up during freezing whether

and to stop the underside of the bonnet getting dirty.

I believe from memory it was about £20, not expensive.

To fit is dead easy, literally a 5 min job. A number of clips

around the edge that you line up with the holes on the underside of the bonnet

and just press them in. It does finish the underside of the bonnett off nicely.

Edited by RGKTSi

Have you try turning the radio off and ventilation off, all you heard is road noise and a very faint engine noise untill you push pass 4000rpm even then the engine tone is nice and not hard on the hears

Endorse all the above plus when you lift the lid it makes the engine bay well finished rather then some thing that's been forgotten.

Its the first thing most people will notice when its not there.

Also when you drop the bonnet down is doesn't sound like like an old tin can, but some thing more sophisticated and precision built.

Well worth going for in my opinion

Here is mine. Didn't fit it for the noise reduction as I have a full sport exhaust, but just so the underbonnet doesn't look naked and empty like a 1980's cheap car.

Clips have a different part number, so if you are doing a DIY order make sure you order both.

post-51727-0-90752200-1317765162_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant and useful answers, thank you.

I especially agree that the car seems 'unfinished' without this, and a little bit more refinement wouldn't go amiss.

I'm off to buy mine next week - the price seems reasonable. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is mine. Didn't fit it for the noise reduction as I have a full sport exhaust, but just so the underbonnet doesn't look naked and empty like a 1980's cheap car.

Clips have a different part number, so if you are doing a DIY order make sure you order both.

Does anyone have the clip # and Qty. please?

And UK prices inclusive of VAT as at 6 October 2011:

Sound absorber for engine lid - 1Z0 863 831A - £24.35

Fitting clips - 8E0 863 727A - £1.73 for a pack of 12.

These clips are for car build dates from 08.02.2010. I ordered 12, only to find that the sound absorber comes complete with 12 clips of that part number already fitted!

The fitting clips mentioned in CEPi's post above are for car build dates up to 07.02.2010.

My local dealer said they didn't recommend fitting the insulation mat on petrol models, due to the higher heat development in petrol engines... I'm not sure I'm buying that explanation. All my previous cars (Vauxhall, Nissan, Honda - all petrol models) did have an insulation mat fitted. Cooling seems very good on the Octavia as well, the grill / airflow to the radiator area is quite huge compared to some other cars - at least my latest car - the Honda Civic with the whole front covered with plexiglass...!

My local dealer said they didn't recommend fitting the insulation mat on petrol models, due to the higher heat development in petrol engines... I'm not sure I'm buying that explanation. All my previous cars (Vauxhall, Nissan, Honda - all petrol models) did have an insulation mat fitted. Cooling seems very good on the Octavia as well, the grill / airflow to the radiator area is quite huge compared to some other cars - at least my latest car - the Honda Civic with the whole front covered with plexiglass...!

It's guff. They used to fit the pad as part of the standard build. It's just them cutting costs.

Simon