Show us your winter wheels

@domhnall we did have some snow and I spent this morning changing them in a slight coating of snow, but by the time I took pic its all away. Although did have some 'testing' in the pretty empty gym car park :-)

Just had mine fitted this morning and went to pick up my Caddy centre caps from VW straight after! I'm all set for some snow now... bring it on! :) Will get a picture tomorrow morning hopefully... car is completely minging though and REALLY needs a wash. The steel wheels are really adding to that winter rat look.

I went for 205/55/16 Michelin Alpin A4. No problems with the brakes clearing the wheels though they look absolutely MASSIVE under those steels :)

Why do people think it's OK to take photographs / video whilst driving in the snow?

Was doing about 3 mph at the time coming to a stop behind the stationary vehicle in front of me, so no real chance of losing control and I was leaving a nice big gap so taking no chances.

Really just needed something to prove why I was going to be late for work as they never believe me down in Manchester where it is just raining.

OK, sorry if I sounded harsh. It's just every winter, people post up pictures or even 10 minute videos on YouTube of them driving on public roads at speed in the snow, filmed hand-held at the wheel. And I just can't fathom why they think that's a good idea.

OK, sorry if I sounded harsh. It's just every winter, people post up pictures or even 10 minute videos on YouTube of them driving on public roads at speed in the snow, filmed hand-held at the wheel. And I just can't fathom why they think that's a good idea.

Aggree with regard to the video and speed bits, next time I will ensure I include the speedo to show I am not being too much of a numpty :angel:

• Like 1

Anyone know? Waiting to hear back from skoda uk but i reckon it will be a while!

The Skoda TUV document lists 205/55 R16 91H M+S or 205/55 R16 91V (depending on engine code). None of the tyres listed for the Octavia are XL rated and I suspect that the only reason that 17" and 18" tyres are all XL is because tyre manufacturers don't make tyres in those sizes that aren't XL rated. The spare in our vRS estate is a 205/55 R16 91V (not XL rated).

• Like 1

The Skoda TUV document lists 205/55 R16 91H M+S or 205/55 R16 91V (depending on engine code).

Any idea where I can find that document? Still trying to pin down the acceptable rims/tyres on my 2006 1.9tdi octy hatch with sports suspension.

The Skoda TUV document lists 205/55 R16 91H M+S or 205/55 R16 91V (depending on engine code). None of the tyres listed for the Octavia are XL rated and I suspect that the only reason that 17" and 18" tyres are all XL is because tyre manufacturers don't make tyres in those sizes that aren't XL rated. The spare in our vRS estate is a 205/55 R16 91V (not XL rated).

Perfect, Just the answer I was looking for. Any chance you could PM the document to me as well please so that I can check my engine code. Many thanks

OK...................M+S is Mud and snow so no worries there.

I'm not sure this is true, I think M+S is German and stands for Matsch und Schnee = slush and snow.

Edit 10/12/2012: Seems like I was incorrect, sorry about that. Although I was sure I'd read/been told that M+S was German for 'Slush and Snow' I can find nothing other than 'Mud and Snow', even when looking on tyre manufacturers websites.

Obviously you can use the tyres in muddy conditions, but I think the tread (additional sipes etc) and compound (maintaining flexibility at lower temperatures than 'summer' tyres) are aimed at cold rather than mud.

I ended up buying 205/55 R16 94V as I could not find the winter tyres I wanted in 91V... I hope they can't make a fuss saying they are not homologated in case of accident....

Ludo

I'm not sure this is true, I think M+S is German and stands for Matsch und Schnee = slush and snow.

Obviously you can use the tyres in muddy conditions, but I think the tread (additional sipes etc) and compound (maintaining flexibility at lower temperatures than 'summer' tyres) are aimed at cold rather than mud.

Oh...................sorry, got that from the MyTyres website, not too worry.

Here's my Octavia VRS finally on the Alpin A4's, MyTyres steels and with the VW Caddy centre caps :)

photonxv.jpg

Looks nice that. Do you mind confirming the size of wheel/tyre you went for. Did you buy it as part of a package?

Edited by Moley RUFC

Looks nice that. Do you mind confirming the size of wheel/tyre you went for. Did you buy it as part of a package?

Yep - MyTyres steel wheel package. 16" steels and 205/55/16 91H's (H speed rating is only 130MPH but I'm never going to do that speed, let alone in winter conditions!).

Will try get a close up of the little hub caps in the next day or so - I'll be stuck in the office all day now until it gets dark! :( Worth mentioning with those Caddy caps, the hub nut cover protrudes ever so slightly through the steel wheel making it a bit of a pain to get the caps on the front. The rear ones clipped on OK but the front ones took a bit of bashing before they seated... they look more prone to 'ping' off though so I do fully expect to lose one or two over the coming months - will see how it goes.

Edited by Chicane-UK

There is a link to a fabulous website where if you put in your vehicle details it gives a list of all the other car makes and models whose alloy wheels would fit. I can't find the link! I know it is in one of the winter tyre threads. Anybody know where I mean?

Thanks again