17" or 16" rims which would you choose if you had a choice

The Plumber

71 members have voted

1. 1. If given the choice when ordering a new Yeti which of the two listed wheel options would you go for

• 17" rims with 225/50 R17 tyres
    • 16" rims with 215/60 R16 tyres

With the number of tyre posts floating about I was just curious how many owners (or prospective) would opt for the 17" set-up or would go 16" if the choice was made available on all models.

Thought about adding other options or asking about tyre choice the type of ride offered etc. but I will leave that for you to comment upon, if you so wish.

Oh I appreciate bahnstormer would like a 18, 19 or even a 20" option but it's not on the factory list :D

TP

I'm seriously thinking about another set of 16" alloys to fit summer tyres to. My 17" Goodyears will need replacing whilst the 16" winters are on.

Looking at the cost of 16" v 17" tyres and also the much wider choice of 16", I'm seriously tempted. I was very pleasantly surprised by how good my 16" winter tyres make the car feel to drive despite my initial doubts. Even on dry, warm(er) roads, the 16" seemed to grip just as well as the 17" and the ride was much better. I'd even guess that the original designers will have compromised the suspension settings to suit the 16" rather than 17" with the thinking that people who like 'blingy' larger wheels will inevitably accept a poorer ride.

Because it looks like virtually everywhere else gets the 16" as standard, I'm convinced that the UK only gets most of its Yetis on 17" wheels for cosmetic reasons.

Now off to trawl Ebay for some tasty Audi wheels. ;)

Edited by Trevorminor

I voted for the 17 inch option as I find the ride quite comfortable and like the positive effect on steering and overall handling.

If the Yeti only came with the 16 inch wheels then it wouldn't be a problem.

And after all, my car spends most of it's time on tarmac.

Having only experienced the 17" I'm not really in a position to comment. However, I have no complaints about the ride/handling of my Yeti. I'm perfectly happy with the wheels.

This question depends on whether your preference is for handling or outright ride comfort surely? I wouldn't go for 16's over 17's and I've driven quite a few Yetis now on different rubber and tyre combinations now. The 17's give a slightly sharper turn in, better communication from the road surface, better roll resistance at the extreme (probably simply due to the lower profile sidewalls) and better high speed touring stability from my own experiences. The 16's seem to be more absorbent over the harsher bumps but overal I'd far rather have the benefits of the 17's as I find the ride comfort exceptionally good. :yes:

Having recently fitted my 16" plus Dunlop winters, I'm sure the 16" are more comfortable, so understand fully the basis of the question. Whether I'd go to the trouble/expense of yet another set of summer 16" wheels on top of the present two sets (the original Dolomite alloy + the steels) I'm less sure. Got to draw the line somewhere. With the benefit of hindsight I might have fitted All Seasons .... [either Goodyear or Vredestein M+S + SNOW symbol] and either sold the standard ones or hung on to/stored them??

Edited by oldstan

No one has mentioned initial cost.

The true cost of 16" rather than 17" wheels and tyres is probably not that much less .However if only for marketing reasons, Skoda would probably charge several hundred pounds more for the perceived upgrade to 17"wheels and tyres.:wonder:

No one has mentioned initial cost.

The true cost of 16" rather than 17" wheels and tyres is probably not that much less .However if only for marketing reasons, Skoda would probably charge several hundred pounds more for the perceived upgrade to 17"wheels and tyres.:wonder:

Good point and yes Skoda UK do charge £450 to replace the 16" Nevis on the Yeti S for 17" Dolomites. Struggle to see how that figure is justifiable myself. Would have been nice if I'd got that figure back when I 'volunteered' to drop the standard 17's back to 16" but sadly not, however I was just happy enough with Skoda CZ's willingness to oblige; big :thumbup: to them.

Regards,

TP

I choose 17's, but I think a 55 profile tyre may help the ride even more? I've no doubt the 16's are more comfortable, but (in my opinion) they just look to small in the Yeti's large arches. Skoda should offer the 16's as a no cost option with the next Yeti. :thumbup:

I see loads of SUV's around south London and many have "small" wheels, but large tyres which will help with comfort, i.e. 60-65% ratio side wall tyres. I would prefer those as standard, with a sensible size tyre, which is readily available worldwide like the 205/60 R16 as an example, and as an optional extra cost of bling alloys of 17, 18 or 19" alloys for those who like harsh rides......emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I choose 17's, but I think a 55 profile tyre may help the ride even more? I've no doubt the 16's are more comfortable, but (in my opinion) they just look to small in the Yeti's large arches. Skoda should offer the 16's as a no cost option with the next Yeti. :thumbup:

I noticed an immediate improvement in comfort when switching from my 225/50 R17's to 215/60 R16's, but the steering also seemed a little 'lighter'.

I'd go for the handling and feedback of the 17" over the comfort of the 16" as I don't find the ride on the 17" at all harsh (typically before the Yeti I have driven sportier cars). Although why its not an option to choose between these makes no sense.

Having said the above, the car will be shod with 16" wheels/and Vredestein Wintracs through the winter.

Where I live a good many of the roads would be classed as cart tracks to most people but I must say I've found the 17" rims to be more than acceptable comfort wise and as others have said they beat the 16" ones hands down on appearance. I suppose like a lot of things it's all down to personal preferences and after being used to a Suzuki SX4 the Yeti rides like dream :yes:

No complaints with my 17's on the standard supplied Dunlop Sports, find they provide a very acceptable & quiet ride especially considering the poor condition of many roads . Out of interest, what tyre brand do others have when comparing 16's with 17's ?

No complaints with my 17's on the standard supplied Dunlop Sports, find they provide a very acceptable & quiet ride especially considering the poor condition of many roads . Out of interest, what tyre brand do others have when comparing 16's with 17's ?

The only tyre brand and pattern that's been factory fitted to both is the Goodyear Excellence. However the Dunlop Sport 01 appears the most common fit to the 17" and Continental PremiumContact 2 for the 16". Occasionally the 17's may come with Pirelli's.

TP

Oh I appreciate bahnstormer would like a 18, 19 or even a 20" option but it's not on the factory list :D

TP

:rofl::giggle::rofl::giggle::rofl:

I didn't get onto the forum at the weekend but have just seen this thread and cast my vote; for the 225/50 17 naturally.

As other have already commented the 225/50 17s give a sport edge to the handling of a Yeti without any particular downside in terms of ride comfort; although as is said, there are many factors at work on this e.g. tread depth, tyre pressure, brand of tyre etc.

Yes; as is widely known, I prefer sport handling and my current summer 225/45 18s provide this but IMHO to go to wider 235/245 tyres or 19" or 20" wheels will detrimentally effect the superb balance of Yeti's ride, handing & road holding, so not for me.

My winter tyres are, by the way, 225/50 17s.

I actually think 15" wheels with over-sized tires would look good on the Yeti.

.... and give rise to two issues;-

1. handling like a North Sea Trawler in a Force 10 gale and

2. 15" wheels wouldn't fit over the front brake discs.

Wheelbasealloys.com seems to be listing a lot of 15" wheels for Skoda Yeti. Even with a tag saying "Fitment checked. These wheels fit your Skoda Yeti". Like this:

Wheelbase-15inchAutecZenit.jpg

Sent them a message regarding this yesterday.

I would really like to drive the Yeti on 15"/70. Used to drive G-class on 31/10.50R15 for more than 20 years. Guess I'm used to drive a car that handles like a North Sea Trawler in force 10 :giggle:

Fitment might depend on which model of Yeti. The more powerful Yeti variants have bigger diameter discs, there are at least three different front sizes, and possibly four rears. See this thread.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/149047-yeti-brake-disc-calliper-general-technical-guide/

Fitment might depend on which model of Yeti. The more powerful Yeti variants have bigger diameter discs, there are at least three different front sizes, and possibly four rears. See this thread.

http://briskoda.net/...echnical-guide/

Thank you, Bobdog

Found this in the brake disc and caliper technical guide:

140 CR TDI 4x4 (plus DSG)

Front disc = 288 x 25

Front calliper = 15" FN3

Rear disc = 286 x 12 pre week 45

Rear calliper = 16" CII 41 pre week 45

Rear disc = 272 x 10 week 45 to date

Rear calliper = 15" Bosch BIRIII week 45 to date

Does the 15" and 16" mentioned for the calipers mean the smallest wheel size to fit over this caliper?

Thank you, Bobdog

Found this in the brake disc and caliper technical guide:

Does the 15" and 16" mentioned for the calipers mean the smallest wheel size to fit over this caliper?

As those relate the rears, and the rears are smaller than the fronts, the biggest problem is whether a 15" rim will fit with the callipers on your SM, which I believe to be 288mm dia. (same as my CR140ish DSG until I upgrade to 312's from a CR170.)

To give you an idea of clearance, I have 16" Skoda pressed steel wheels fitted, which are quite thin compared to alloy wheels. I can just get my index finger between the calliper and the rim.

So I will stick my neck out and say forget about 15" rims, and just stick with 16" rims as you do need some clearance.