DSG and winter driving

At the moment I've got a manual vRS CR which was, for want of a better word crap in the snow last year.

I'm fitting winter tyres on it on Friday so should be better this year.

Anyhow the new one comes on Jan with DSG which I'll be then putting the tyres on that.

Question is, is DSG any good in the snow with winter tyres?

On the manual you can use your clutch, set of in second gear even third for traction.

As I have only driven DSG on test drive in dry, can someone tell me how it performs in snowy conditions

Thanks

Never had a problem getting around in my superb DSG during the last batch of snow. If you have ESP you can just mash your foot in the carpet even on the slippery ice and the ESP sorts it all out and you pull away gently. I managed to pass cars that had got stuck on hills as well, so the DSG is quiet good.

Generally auto's are worse on snow and ice.

Clutch control is reduced and you have less control over gear changes.

Those that let you set off in second (i.e winter mode) often help, although the debate of whether setting off in a higher gear is beneficial has been done to death on here, almost as much as the petrol vs. diesel debate.

Been able to rock the car back and forth to gain traction when stuck is also limited with an auto.

Winter tyres will make a noticeable difference, although the width of the standard 18" vRS alloys doesn't help when driving through deep or soft snow, nor does the reduced right height on the vRS as the deeper the snow the more likely the car is to get beached or drag.

got a vrs DSG, basically, as soon as i reached a slight incline, the car wouldnt go any further, lots of action from the wheels but causing little motion. So the upshot is that i find it useless in the snow!

got a vrs DSG, basically, as soon as i reached a slight incline, the car wouldnt go any further, lots of action from the wheels but causing little motion. So the upshot is that i find it useless in the snow!

Did you have winter tyres on?

On the manual you can use your clutch, set of in second gear even third for traction.

As I have only driven DSG on test drive in dry, can someone tell me how it performs in snowy conditions

Thanks

It's fine. I've never understood the start in 2nd thing: if you go gently enough there's no need- most people either burn up the clutch or spin the wheels faster. The Leon was *awful* on summer tyres, great on winters. I think it's got nothing to do with the gearbox: it's all about grip. I found my Fabia vRS lousy in snow too, compared to all my previous cars.

I actually found DSG in D is fine: it changes up early, changes down late and smoothly, so provided you don't stomp on the controls it just works. Used manual mode a couple of times down hills though.

I've driven a good few autos in snow, and I find them fine. The inherent smoothness helps a bit. It's all about using the controls smoothly.

Generally auto's are worse on snow and ice.

The DSG isn't a general auto ;)

I had no problems last year, even without winter tyres - so long as you take things sensibly it should be fine :thumbup:

Only took the Octavia out once in the snow, had no issues with pulling away or whilst driving in the snow. Certainly no more than it would have been in a manual with 18" wheels.

In other words the tyres was the weak point. I will say the snow was not as heavy here as other places maybe 3-4 inchs

Only took the Octavia out once in the snow, had no issues with pulling away or whilst driving in the snow. Certainly no more than it would have been in a manual with 18" wheels.

In other words the tyres was the weak point. I will say the snow was not as heavy here as other places maybe 3-4 inchs

At the moment I've got a manual vRS CR which was, for want of a better word crap in the snow last year.

I'm fitting winter tyres on it on Friday so should be better this year.

Anyhow the new one comes on Jan with DSG which I'll be then putting the tyres on that.

Thanks

hi.I,ve got a dsg as a taxi and it was ok in the snow last year but i have invested in 4 nice new winter tyres this year so it should be interesting,i will let you know in due course.

In order of priority for the cold/ice/snow/slush/rain I would have winter tyres, better driving technique, being more aware of dangers and then and only then quibble about the type of gearbox. I didn't find it an issue at all.

just to confirm the conclusion we seem to be reaching on here, strangely enough the amount of grip you have on the surface is most influenced by your tyres. I have never had a DSG but last year in a manual octavia fitted with Nokian winter tyres I had several occasions where I had to drive around a neighbour in his 4x4 that had all 4 wheels spinning. On one occasion we had to pull him clear of a drift

Mind you the snow was pretty deep.

Wow,thats some snow! :D I thought i had it bad here but no way was it as bad as you by the look of your picture!

LOL it was worse out of town! :rofl: Minus 19 was the worst it got

I live near to the top of a hill that has a nasty 2nd gear, almost come to a stop, sharp turn half way up so no chance to get any momentum built up.

In my last Octavia 1.9TDI manual I never failed to get up. In the 1.8TSI DSG I failed to get up twice last winter. Both cars on standard summer tyres.

SWMBO's skinny (summer) tyred Micra just pi$$e$ up the hill and she is so cocky that she drives past the house to where it widens so she can do a U-turn to be facing down the hill for the next morning "in case it gets any worse"!

I live near to the top of a hill that has a nasty 2nd gear, almost come to a stop, sharp turn half way up so no chance to get any momentum built up.

In my last Octavia 1.9TDI manual I never failed to get up. In the 1.8TSI DSG I failed to get up twice last winter. Both cars on standard summer tyres.

SWMBO's skinny (summer) tyred Micra just pi$$e$ up the hill and she is so cocky that she drives past the house to where it widens so she can do a U-turn to be facing down the hill for the next morning "in case it gets any worse"!

There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing - or in the case of cars, rubber

:thumbup:

I had no problems the the snow or ice last winter. I have DSG. I also have winter tyres. Oh and I also have 4wd :lol:

My previous DSG Octavia only ever had summer tyres on it and even though I never got stuck, I did have to turn around on some hills around where I live, where the cars ahead had stopped and I lost up steep hill traction.

The Yeti is perfect for winter and offload driving with the DSG.

Be gentle and it will change up early, no need for this start in 2nd stuff.

If needed use the off road button :lol:

As mentioned above, winter tyres make the biggest difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 and no, I didn't have winter wellies on either which might have helped. The vRS just has too much power going through the front wheels for it to be of any use. It got so bad, I considered buying a Yeti but didn't want winter weather capability all year round !

On my departed Octavia 2wd DSG Est if you used the manual change it would let you change up at less revs/slower speed than it would do in auto.You can then crawl along in 2nd/3rd until speed and revs fall back and it will change down for you and you have to repeat the process. Lots of hills round here, just got to go steady on the gas and some half decent tyres preferably winter or all seasons make one heck of a difference.Think we Brits try and run on reduced tread and tyres should be changed coming into winter even with standard tyres if getting near to wear bars.Not worth the hassle if we get a repeat of the last 2 years

Cheers

Peter