VRS DSG Rattle

mrobbo

I noticed the relays clicking for the first time last Friday and wanted to post about this but after reading some posts I suppose it's not important.

In my case, It did not have to do with rear defrost but with the speed of the wipers: In the 1st level of slow and intermittent movement, I hear the relay click 2 times during every move, one the beginning of the movement and another one when the wiper returns to a full stop. If I switch to faster wiping (level 2+) then the wipers move is continuous and the relay stops clicking (as its working constantly I suppose).

Maybe normal, but as Martyn says, first car I hear the relays clicking... Modern electrics?

I always used to hear wiper's relay clicking at intermittent operation. My previous cars were an Pug 106 1.4 '96, an Octavia 1.6 '02 and a Fabia 1.2 12v '06.

As the rear defroster's relay it is all caused by the battery. She is 44Ah and it seems to be insufficient at high loads requirement. When my battery dies I'll put a bigger one and then we will know if something changed.

But the main issue is the DSG rattle and if this can cause any further problem at the gearbox. So if someone has any news he can inform us.

So this DSG rattle is heard when you're in 3rd and rolling at slow speed, just before the box changes to 2nd?

I will try to hear it today, seems I'm either never driving windows down (probable) or it's not that loud for me to hear. I have heard some sounds of the box, but they all do sound as "mechanical" and "normal", nothing strange nor loud nor annoying as the thing you describe, but since it's there for so many people I will give it a try...

• 1 year later...

to bring back an old thread ive just come back from a drive with a skoda master tech he has now booked my car in for further inspection. he pointed out 3 possibility 1 the multi coupling clutch 2 something todo with the mechanism sorry forgot what he said or 3 the worst the gearbox and the even worse point to this is if the gearbox needs swapping out theirs up to a 9 week waiting list as each gearbox is tailored to each car and there ecu.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Mines doing it too. I notice the rattle when driving slowly with the windows open in 1st or 2nd. Sometimes I get the rattle on uneven ground too, like those horrible small (but violent) speed humps. It's still in warranty so I'm gonna book mine in to get it checked.

• Like 1

Yeah, you do seem to have to go over bumpy ground to really notice it. From all the reading i've done it appears its just one of those things. Some say well it shouldn't make any noise which i guess is true but on the other hand i kind of think you get what you pay for and perhaps you have to expect it to be a little noisey round the edges. Not planning on taking mine in at the mo but let me know how you get on

• 1 year later...

If you have thew noise and the DSG works OK then nothing stops it.

But if your car was built 2010-2012 has it had Service Campaign '34F7'  Oil in DSG changed synthetic to mineral & software update.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Or 2013-2015 Servivce Campaign '34H5' Software update.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

If the rattle is not the DSG it might be a heat shield, or a pipe rattle, or the exhaust down tube bracket breaks, or the middle joint of the exhaust at the resonator.

Offski, the garage I took it to think it’s the gearbox Mount under the battery tray. But everything is solid and no play at all. Car is 2014 had all the recalls and everything needed by skoda.

Can’t be the heat shield because I’ve taken that off a while ago.

And the garage also said they looked at all the brackets and said they are all fine. It’s a 4 year old car they shouldn’t have brackets breaking yet is what the garage replied.

• Haha 1

Goes to show whoever at the garage knows nothing about Mk2 Fabia vRS CAVE or CTHE engine cars then. 

So trust them to do nothing on your car.

2010 models where have issues by 2 years old and exhaust bracket issues before their first MOT. 

So why would a 2014 model not have an exhaust bracket on the down pipe break by 2018, they were never revised or upgraded?

• Haha 1

They checked, they have a ramp.  It is the down pipe bracket.

Some dealerships quote £1,000 to replace, some of us get it welded, costs a couple of pints.

Check the threads on CTHE Timing Chains, but do not have the garage you are dealing with measuring that.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/438447-2012-2014-cthe-mk2-fabia-vrs-timing-chain-issues 

Here are Cattle Grid threads,

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/312147-rattle-please-help 

Edited by Offski

Mines also made this noise in 3.5 years of ownership. Among a few others too such as but not limited to clunking into 5th (audible with windows closed and whilst travelling at speed), clunking into 1st when stopping at a junction or roundabout and juddering whilst attempting to pull away in 2nd from an almost complete stop

Worry when it breaks chaps!

• Like 2

I occasionally develop a rattle that is most noticeable when turning corners, but I found a fix on a forum somewhere (I think it might have been an American one for Audi or Golfs). Anyway, the cause was supposed to be dust on the clutches, and the fix is a few hard accelerations from standstill, both forwards and reverse*. It seems to work, although the rattle does come back eventually. Worth a try at least.

* Make sure you are on a quiet road for the reversing!

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, OzFabia said:

I occasionally develop a rattle that is most noticeable when turning corners, but I found a fix on a forum somewhere (I think it might have been an American one for Audi or Golfs). Anyway, the cause was supposed to be dust on the clutches, and the fix is a few hard accelerations from standstill, both forwards and reverse*. It seems to work, although the rattle does come back eventually. Worth a try at least.

* Make sure you are on a quiet road for the reversing!

I'll go do this now!!

^^^ I wouldn't.   Seriously do not.   Not to get rid of a rattle.

Twin Dry Clutch DSG and where the 'F' is the dust going, no place. 

A 2012 DQ200 that never got 34F7 or 34H5 might just end up with a Flashing White Spanner.

I think OzFabia got a new DSG from Skoda Australia, maybe he can confirm if he did.

Edited by Offski

Yes, new clutch pack and mechatronics. Still develops a rattle occasionally.

By "hard" acceleration before, I didn't mean tyre melting race-style take-offs, just a bit more than a "normal" pull away. If you're that close to "white spanners", then it's a far bigger problem and going to happen sooner or later anyway (IMO).

But George knows his stuff, so use your own discretion. 

Edited by OzFabia

The 'White Spanner' flashing warning is one that people need to be aware of with a DSG built about late 2012.

It is not the rattle issue or anything else, it is just a 'Warning' that Skoda & Skoda techs seem not to know relates to 'some DSG DQ200's'.

Those that had Mineral oil in supposedly from the factory. 

Ones before these were not having a 'Flashing white spanner'.    Odd that some Dealerships Employees seem not to know that is a DSG warning not the same as the 'Gear cog' warning symbol.