MK1 vRS - Stage 2 R-Tech Tuned

Phil-W

• 4 months later...

I have this car now, bought in October 16 from a guy in Essex, haven't done much to it except for servicing and driving in my ownership. 

Have a few small issues which I'm looking into: steering wheel wobble under braking (maybe need some suspension bushes refreshing) and a slightly binding rear NS caliper discovered this morning! 

But all from that, it's still in good condition, few marks from previous owner but nothing huge.

• Like 4

Phil doesnt really post here anymore as he has since had a Focus ST, and now has a Scooby.

I will let him know about you owning his old motor and get him to check out this thread :)

Paul

On 2017-5-31 at 17:42, JamieP86 said:

The two most recent pictures i have taken last week.

Just looked through the thread hoping you had fit those caliper retutn spring clips, unfortunately just had a look and no such luck!

20170415_103052.jpg

20170415_102558.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Paul!

Great to see it still going under your ownership, Jamie.

I actually have the calliper springs sat here still. I'll send them to you FOC if you PM me your address details!

She still looks very clean in pictures :D

Thanks Phil, but already bought some to throw on! 

It has a few marks around it, but only small ones in line with a 14 year old car i guess. 

Currently on 94k - I bought it in 88k and still pulling and going strong.

Ref the brakes, I'll have to have a decent look, but for the price i guess I'll just replace.

In all honesty, im driving it as an everyday car, which i like to keep clean.

The spec you have put on it suits me perfectly, so not much to change (Maybe the suspension at some point).

It'll be just servicing and keeping it running to be honest!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:00, JamieP86 said:

Just a boring update.

Carried out the first clean of the year after the winter. 

Fitted a tow bar as wanted a way to transport bicycles without using a bike rack, so will go for a tow bar mounted rack - also, wanted a way to transport my motorbike when I move house in the next year (pic attached for those who care), usually costs approx £150 for a company to transport, so thought id buy a single bike trailer also.

Also getting bored of the Prosport coilovers. Seems they've been on a few years and to be honest, you can tell they're cheap and slightly crashy!

So, have opted to go for Bilsteins coupled with H&R -20mm, so will possibly raise the height a small amount, but I'm sure will feel better on the new suspension. Just have to find time to get them fitted!

20180414_174215.jpg

have you changed the suspension now mate?

how you finding them?  is it on h & r springs?

17 hours ago, JamieP86 said:

Unfortunately not, I'm away out of the country with work until August, so will hopefully get the H&R's and Bilsteins fitted once I have a week or so off!

thanks.

where did you get the rear bumper lip from if you don't mind me asking?

• 1 year later...
On 14/04/2018 at 19:00, JamieP86 said:

also, wanted a way to transport my motorbike when I move house in the next year (pic attached for those who care), usually costs approx £150 for a company to transport, so thought id buy a single bike trailer also.

old post I know but I couldn't help but notice this part .. did you ever think of you know, riding it to the new house? lol

3 hours ago, JLawson90 said:

old post I know but I couldn't help but notice this part .. did you ever think of you know, riding it to the new house? lol

Good point well made, but, and this is the but... The new house is approximately 400 miles away, plus, we have two cars in the household and a 6 month old baby!

I am still sticking to my plan of trailering shortly with the new Superb I acquired.

• 5 weeks later...
On 26/10/2019 at 17:27, skinnyman said:

Just thought I'd add to this thread.  I now own the car and have had it since the summer.  It's still going strong and the only additions I've made are some new 17" wheels and a replacement steering rack.  

It's good to be back in a Mk1 again after missing my black one since I sold in 2012. If anyone knows where it is now, I'd be interested to see how it's doing. (YG06 UOH)

IMG_20191026_164658.jpg

IMG_20191026_164724.jpg

DSCN0286.JPG

great car 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update with some photos from today.  The car's proving to be a great daily driver and it's definitely a lot better to drive than my original Mk1 - I'd recommend Stage 2 to anyone who's thinking about it.

I had a chance to take it out over the Moors near Whitby today and took a few photos on my phone.  Sorry they aren't the best quality but you get the idea.  The roads were very quiet and it felt like I had the whole place to myself which doesn't happen very often nowadays.  It's a great car and all credit goes to the previous owners for setting it up so well.

IMG_20200106_145118.jpg

IMG_20200106_145134.jpg

IMG_20200106_145357.jpg

Edited by skinnyman
  • Like 1

On 06/01/2020 at 20:58, skinnyman said:

Just a quick update with some photos from today.  The car's proving to be a great daily driver and it's definitely a lot better to drive than my original Mk1 - I'd recommend Stage 2 to anyone who's thinking about it.

I had a chance to take it out over the Moors near Whitby today and took a few photos on my phone.  Sorry they aren't the best quality but you get the idea.  The roads were very quiet and it felt like I had the whole place to myself which doesn't happen very often nowadays.  It's a great car and all credit goes to the previous owners for setting it up so well.

IMG_20200106_145118.jpg

IMG_20200106_145134.jpg

IMG_20200106_145357.jpg

Looks even better on those wheels

1 hour ago, pee81 said:

Looks even better on those wheels

Thanks.  It definitely smartened the car up a bit by putting them on but the rears need some spacers on to make them sit right in the arches.  I tried some 15mm but that was a bit too much and the 10mm I have won't fit on the rear.  I'm trying to find a set of 10mm hubcentric spacers that will fit but it's not proving to be an easy task.  If anyone has some pointers, I'd appreciate it.

I'm also planning on taking the tow bar off at some point to clean up the rear end as I don't have any plans on using it.  Other than an ongoing stone chip chasing quest, I'm planning on just driving it as much as possible.

Edited by skinnyman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a quick update.  I managed to get hold of some 18" OZ Ultraleggeras recently and have finally fitted them.  I'm not sure about the black as I'm not a fan but they definitely fill the arches.  I've got 10mm spacers on the front and 15mm on the rear, they seem to work quite well so I'll run them for a while and see if I like them or not.  

The wheels are definitely very light and hopefully they'll be strong enough to cope with potholes etc.

Comments are welcome.

Thanks.

IMG_20200408_151157.jpg

IMG_20200408_151227.jpg

Edited by skinnyman
  • Like 1