getting a new phone help?

newskoda

I'm due for an upgrade soon and appear to have a choice from different phones ranging from Iphones, HTC, Samsung, Sony-Ericsson,Blackberrys (Bold, curve..these have normal QUERTY peypads) and Nokias. A lot of these are touch screen smart phones and I have never owned such a thing before. My current phone is a non smartphone sony ericsson and i've been using normal tactile keypads on phones what seems like forever. It;s been ok but the last few SE's i've had, the keypads have dropped off and I've had to replace them. Quality of Sony Ericsson has gone down in the last 5 years imo.

I have no interest in using facebook or twitter but these seem to be major selling points. I have read somewhere that Cisco have joined with Google apps which I presume means that Cisco will have various deployments available on Android enabled phones. This could be a useful thing for me. If anyone uses any Cisco apps on their phones then would like to know which ones?

What i am mostly after is reliability, excellent call/voice quality, good camera, maps and easy to text on. Oh and erm....are these touch screens reliable? they look kinda fragile. Sorry if I come across technically illterate with phones. I just haven't got a clue.

thanks

The galaxy s II and iPhone 4 are great.

The blackberry torch is touchscreen and has physical buttons.

Go prod a few, and not the display ones, get mr salesman to get some out of boxes. You'll feel the weight, quality and how good or bad the touchscreens are. When you see screen details the iPhone has one called a retina display, this is because the human eye can't see individual pixels as they are so small, so the display is excellent.

Are you into music?

iPhone using Tapatalk

The galaxy s II and iPhone 4 are great.

The blackberry torch is touchscreen and has physical buttons.

Go prod a few, and not the display ones, get mr salesman to get some out of boxes. You'll feel the weight, quality and how good or bad the touchscreens are. When you see screen details the iPhone has one called a retina display, this is because the human eye can't see individual pixels as they are so small, so the display is excellent.

Are you into music?

iPhone using Tapatalk

hey, thanks for your advice.I'll ask them to show me the phones.

I'm not that into music these days, but I do listen to mp3 podcasts and stuff like that.

Getting hands on is the best way. As for features and specs those two are much of a much.

also, both can take either hard or soft cases in many guises.

Either a bumper that just sits around the edge, a back and sides only, a slip into type or a flip over case.

It depends on how much protection you want to give it and how bulky it will end up once the case is on.

I personally have a slim hard shell that sits on the back and sides, it's clear. I also have a screen protector which is just a thin clear sticker so to speak, it prevents the actual screen getting scratched. You can also get them in a matt finish.

iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the GPS issue Vodaphone specific?

Only ask as I have a Galaxy S2 (SIM free) and no issues with GPS - I am however currently using a t-mobile SIM.

About 30 seconds to lock on and then works fine using Google Navigation for each time I used it.

iphone & galaxy S2 very similar but preference is dependant on your love or loathing of apple.

I have iphone, parents have Samsung and we don't agree which one is best like the rest of the population!

What I would say is, the wife can't stand touchscreens and has no desire for many of the features. She just calls, texts & emails, hence she is getting the Blackberry Curve 9360. Great slim phone with physical keypad, decent camera and great for email. Worth a look.

Can't say my vodafone galaxy s2 had had any gps issues either, and my wildfire s manages a day and a half on a single charge. Basically all these smart phones stuck power much faster than a handset that is just a phone. If you spend a lot of time away from power then stick to a non smart phone or invest in a spare battery.

i had a customer round to see me last night, she's just got herself a Nokia Lumina 800 - Loves it, but when she arrived at 6:30pm last night, her battery was already flat, from a full charge in the morning! - Where as my iPhone 4s used for business all day, was still at 47%.

Google Galaxy Nexus should be good, but has software issue (if you loose a 3g connection, then you also loose your ringer - Weird!)

Love my iPhone 4s. - Super quick, easy to use, ok battery life and good call quality.

Edited by ukcruiser

WP7 is the way forward. A nokia based product such as the Lumina 800 (or 600) should be good, I can't comment on battery life though on those. I have a slightly older HTC Trophy7 running Mango and I like it :-)

WP7 is the way forward. A nokia based product such as the Lumina 800 (or 600) should be good, I can't comment on battery life though on those. I have a slightly older HTC Trophy7 running Mango and I like it :-)

WP7 the way forward? I think not.

The latest consumer & retail surveys have said that the most common mobile phone OS is Android!

WP7 the way forward? I think not.

The latest consumer & retail surveys have said that the most common mobile phone OS is Android!

Maybe Android is the most common at the moment, but for how long?

I have an iPhone, and the new iPhone 4s has some GREAT features:

1. Siri (AWESOME personal assistant)

3. 8Megapixel camera that delivers OUTSTANDING results both as a still camera and a 1080p video camera (1080p means high definition)

3. Easy to use interface

4. Unrivalled range of 'apps' Apps are little programs you can download and use.

5. Reminder app VERY useful and is location based, meaning your phone can remind you to puck up more milk as you leave work and stuff.

6. Can be activated as a 'stand alone product' meaning you no longer need a PC running iTunes to activate it.

7. FULLY touchscreen with a virtual keyboard, and is VERY robust under normal use.

There are MANY other attractive features and the iPhone is not the only phone to have GREAT features.

You really need to have a fiddle with all of them and see what you like the best. :yes:

WP7 with the new 7.5 mango. Nokia Lumia 800, check it out at a mobile retailer near you!

I know Android is huge, I was around with a G1 at the very start. But having moved to WP7 its much easier to use and get around with.

Back in the day I did flash my 'droid phone with the latest ROMs (and I still have an old HTC Desire that I play with).

I wanted a phone I could just pick up and go, without any geeking around with it to get it just right for me. I have a Nokia Lumia and its great!

I have an iPhone, and the new iPhone 4s has some GREAT features:

1. Siri (AWESOME personal assistant)

3. 8Megapixel camera that delivers OUTSTANDING results both as a still camera and a 1080p video camera (1080p means high definition)

3. Easy to use interface

4. Unrivalled range of 'apps' Apps are little programs you can download and use.

5. Reminder app VERY useful and is location based, meaning your phone can remind you to puck up more milk as you leave work and stuff.

6. Can be activated as a 'stand alone product' meaning you no longer need a PC running iTunes to activate it.

7. FULLY touchscreen with a virtual keyboard, and is VERY robust under normal use.

There are MANY other attractive features and the iPhone is not the only phone to have GREAT features.

You really need to have a fiddle with all of them and see what you like the best. :yes:

Don't mention the battery life, OS, connectivity and goodness knows how many other issues that are being reported with the 4S will you ;)

I have an iPhone 4. The recent update to 5.0.1 has improved battery life considerably for me. I've just ordered a PAYG Blackberry Curve 9300 for a project I'm working on. Seems like a decent phone and my wife has a curve of ome description too.

I wanted a phone I could just pick up and go, without any geeking around with it to get it just right for me. I have a Nokia Lumia and its great!

I think that is the whole purpose of it - it just works, no faffing about hacking the phone, etc.

The only downsides I have found are lack of VPN support and it won't connect to hidden wifi networks (which are actually a corruption of the standard).

Obviously the number of apps available is low compared to iPhone/Android/Blackberry, but there are more and more apps coming along everyday. I am just waiting for a H264 (iirc) client so I can connect to my home cctv unit.

Has to be the iphone 4s!!!

But then again i am biasted! I had an iPhone 3GS and had my iPhone 4 since July last year (launch time) still not bored of

It and does everything you need and more :)

Absoloutley brilliant piece of kit :)

Have iPhone 4 with IOS5, absolutely no problems. Had to read the articles to see what the fuss is about!

Its like anything in life, the more popular something is, the more problems are likely to crop up. In percentage terms its miniscule.

Same with Skoda, love them to bits but not without their own share of problems