Winter tyres - surely we should get a discount?

modra_vrs

I have just put my winter wheels / Conti Winter Contacts on again after 9 months in the shed. Then it got me thinking that insurance companies should actually be giving a discount if you declare you have switched to winter tyres. I am aware, from other threads, that some companies are still trying to charge more.

Think about it.

1/ Your reducing your risk of an accident by being able to stop quicker or take evasive action, with the additional grip.

2/ Chances are, your winter wheels are smaller and less attractive than what you normally drive around on. So it is less attractive to thieves.

Makes perfect sense to me... :wonder:

I rang my insurance company when I put my winter tyres on, and said i've heard some want to charge, she said " no extra charge sir, surely it makes your car safer right?" yes, I said... discount? "no" she said! lol..

I did try ;)

I also tryed and had got the same answer .

Same quote if you have decent new tyres or ditchfinders with barely legal 1.6mm tread. So we are a long way from getting any winter tyre discount from insurers.

At least no-one has reported being charged an extra premium this year!

I'm not sure on winter tyres, however if you fit them on smaller steel wheels, then you must be de-valuing the car and therefore I'd say get a discount. If you fit bigger Alloy wheels to a car with steel as standard, then most insurance companies will charge extra.

You will be saying you want a discount for putting summer tyres on in summer next.

That's a good idea - double discount! :thumbup:

This post was a little tongue in cheek but trying to raise a valid point.

By trying to apply the logic insurers use to arrive at a premium, if I make my car safer in winter and less valuable, then by their own rules, the premium should be less.

That's a good idea - double discount! :thumbup:

This post was a little tongue in cheek but trying to raise a valid point.

By trying to apply the logic insurers use to arrive at a premium, if I make my car safer in winter and less valuable, then by their own rules, the premium should be less.

well said...

insurance companies, are a statistical risk assessment, and winter tyres are safer, PROVEN, so they should give discount, they wont though money is involved...

Playing Devil's Advocate (I know it's not like me to do that), but they might also argue that people become over-confident in their winter tyres and become a higher risk

At least no-one has reported being charged an extra premium this year!

Sadly, there are reports of people being charged an "administration fee" by some insurance companies, and some other companies have not subscribed to the ABI commitment regarding winter tyres, so may still charge extra - lunatic!

Playing Devil's Advocate (I know it's not like me to do that), but they might also argue that people become over-confident in their winter tyres and become a higher risk

and just because you can stop, it doesn't mean the driver behind you on bald summer tyres can.........

and just because you can stop, it doesn't mean the driver behind you on bald summer tyres can.........

You could say that in the summer if you've got decent tyres and the car behind is sporting a set of hong-kong-phooey-ditchfinder specials :giggle:

People in 4x4's think they're imune to snow, and it's always these that you see crashed at the side of the road. Add winter tyres and the feeling of invulnerability grows.

Same as bigger brakes = safer. But it also means you'll be driving faster :)

2/ Chances are, your winter wheels are smaller and less attractive than what you normally drive around on. So it is less attractive to thieves.

I think this is balanced by the car being more attractive to thieves who are looking for a getaway car ;)

Car insurance is such a fickle thing, so many things get taken into account and probably used differently by every comapany, given the variance in the prices they all quote against the same answers. Winter tyres for me make me happier that the car is better suited for the cold, wet and probably at some point snowy weather. As said above you see 4x4 drivers flying around thinking they are immune or people on uprated brakes wanting them for better stopping power under very harsh useage, I tend not to use my brakes very much on standard driving as I plan ahead. It would actually be nice to get a reasonable discount from insurers for being a safe driver but that is very hard to show. Many of the modifications done based on safety can lead to over confidence. Even getting an advanced qualification only shows you were at that higher standard at the time of the test.

As motor Insurance is a legal requirement I feel it should be better regulated to ensure that these companies are not taking the pi** with their prices, maybe that would encourage some of the uninsured drivers to get some as the cost would not be as high.

Some good points have been raised here so far.

As a fellow softie, I am surprised. :giggle: Fair point but insurance companies work on statistics to determine risk and accident statistics. I doubt current statistics include any mention of winter tyres yet for the purpose of determining what effect, if any winter tyres have on claim reduction, or, to be unbiased, if they increase claims. For them to be law in other EU countries would suggest European insurers have had information that proves they reduce claims for years. That way I might get my discount too ;) .

True, but I think the same could be said to to being rear ended at anytime of the year by someone on bald summer tyres.

People in 4x4's think they're imune to snow, and it's always these that you see crashed at the side of the road. Add winter tyres and the feeling of invulnerability grows.

Good point. Before I had the winters on my 4x4 Octy last year I found I could quite easily get going on ice but stopping / steering were just as bad. Adding Winter Tyres increased my confidence that I can get my fiancee and 2 year old from A to B more safely in bad / icy weather. Ultimately it's down to me to judge distances correctly, assess risks, anticipate stopping distance accordingly, etc. The car won't do that for me, winter tyres or not and I am doubly conscious of everyone else, because I have to think they won't have winters fitted, especially those in 2 tonne 4x4 SUV's.

I think this is balanced by the car being more attractive to thieves who are looking for a getaway car ;)

Sssh don't tell anyone ;)

As motor Insurance is a legal requirement I feel it should be better regulated to ensure that these companies are not taking the pi** with their prices, maybe that would encourage some of the uninsured drivers to get some as the cost would not be as high.

Good points. Same applies to helping young drivers with lower premiums so they can perhaps afford a safer, newer car. Some insurers are fair though and they should be commended. Insurance comparision engines, the constant wave of "cheaper car insurance" adverts can only serve to keep prices up. The kickbacks paid to the comparison site could quite easily give another 5-10 percent off your premium, making it more affordable to have insurance, if you were inclined not too. If everyone only had to pay £5 to insure their car, I suspect the number of uninsured drivers would be near zero. That is, until all the insurance companies had gone bust. Then the government could bail them out. And we could all pay more tax. Hey that sounds familiar....

When it comes down to it, I choose to drive what I do. As my car goes faster than standard, handles better than standard (and stops better than standard) I pay quite a hike on insurance over what I could insure the standard model for. I put Winter Tyres on because I value myself and those in my car above all else and was convinced of the increased assistance to safely driving in winter around 2 years ago, in CZ, at -20.

As I say, this is a slightly tongue in cheek thread, prompting debate, so be nice to keep the thoughts coming. :thumbup:

Edited by modra_vrs