Pavement Parking

bandrew465

Hi

What do people think about pavement parking? i.e. 2 wheels or more on the footpath.

I went for a walk earlier, with pushchair and friend in wheelchair. Got to a point on the pavement where we had to turn around, find a dropped kerb and cross over.

Now, dont get me wrong,there are roads where it makes sense for peopleto put 2 wheels on the pavement, but in the case we are talking about wide roads.

Anyway, on the way back, I knocked the door and asked the owner if there was any way he could park on the road in future, the language was amazing :-0 I then asked him to come out so he could see for himself that neither the pushchair or the wheelchair could fit and he went off on one about what he would do if we scratched his car trying to get past and went back in his house....

My mate lost his legs in Iraq, so a little f* respect would be appreciated but this guy thought he had a right......

So, what do you guys and girls all think?

A

I park on the pavement outside my house.

However, the 'pavement' is feckin' massive and has a huge grass verge, which is the bit I park on.

I do this because, otherwise, my car gets smack in the way of the junction.

I'd park on the drive, but it's non-existent currently. So I've tried to make my car as inconspicuous as possible. It seems to have worked so far- it doesn't obstruct the pavement, it causes minimal problems to those turning out of the road opposite the house and my car's in one piece. Whereas my dad parked full on the road the other day and got back to his car to find it covered- and I mean covered- in seagull ****. :giggle: At least 30 deposits in less than 2 hours!!

The guy you spoke to was clearly an arsehole.

Edited by VladSoilerOfCarpets

Where I live we have very little parking and in the evenings and weekends we have no choice but to park 2 wheels on the path. One side of the road has a decent size path with no parking on it, the other is a bit smaller, but I`m always careful in trying to leave as much space as possible, always enough for a buggy/wheelchair. However, if someone knocked for a reason such as yours and I had not left room I`d be bang to rights, as others have said, not on really, even more so if parking on the path isnt needed. :doh: Bloke sounds like a *****, i`d hate to think his car got scratched as someone walked passed. :giggle:

its not illegal where my parents live, if you were to park on the road then you would have to drive 2 wheels one the pavement and 2 on the road so pavement parking is encouraged. This is to stop potentially knocking over people who are leaving their house, so it not illegal everywhere.

Actually, it is illegal unless there is a "dropped" curb, but the Police and council generally turn a blind eye to it because, as said above, it often means the road has enough room for other vehicles to pass without danger.

HOWEVER,@rseholes like the one mentioned deserve a visit from some squaddies to teach them some manners.

There was a newspaper campaign in my home town last year after the pavement parking got a little too stupid; locals sent in photos of cars and vans parked on the pavement and the newspaper printed them on the front page of each issue; it worked for a while, but a month after they stopped, the @rseholes started parking where they liked again.  

You COULD report it to the Police, and even take photographs to prove the problem, but we all know how busy they are harassing black people, yoofs, photographers, and people who own Gollywogs.

Edited by GentleGiant

Hi

What do people think about pavement parking? i.e. 2 wheels or more on the footpath.

I went for a walk earlier, with pushchair and friend in wheelchair. Got to a point on the pavement where we had to turn around, find a dropped kerb and cross over.

Now, dont get me wrong,there are roads where it makes sense for peopleto put 2 wheels on the pavement, but in the case we are talking about wide roads.

Anyway, on the way back, I knocked the door and asked the owner if there was any way he could park on the road in future, the language was amazing :-0 I then asked him to come out so he could see for himself that neither the pushchair or the wheelchair could fit and he went off on one about what he would do if we scratched his car trying to get past and went back in his house....

My mate lost his legs in Iraq, so a little f* respect would be appreciated but this guy thought he had a right......

A

You should have forced your way past leaving deep gouges in his paintwork. emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Best thing to have done took pic of your friend beside the vehicle. Phone the local paper and say how this war veteran was treated by a coward of a scumbag. I'm an easy going person but anyone who treats a person who served his country like this IMO is no better than the Taliban. As to the threats he made 999 straight away

Guy sounds like a tool, but unfortunately this is just how you have to park in some places. Police/council's let it slide because there is no reasonable alternative :thumbdown:

Definitely warn the car driver of possible damage to car on passing, then with little/no response definitely leave a lovely scratch as your signature. LOLemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

If you think you are in the right, invite the driver to call police to clarify situation, and driver think's they are justified.emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

A

It's terrible the gouges wheelchairs could accidentally make. Parking on the pavement is OK, I suppose, provided it doesn't obstruct it.

Unfortunately the way developers work today is that they want to put as many buildings in as possible and one way to maximise this is to put in narrow roads and limited driveways giving people little choice but to park this way. However there are good and bad ways to do this and it seems like there are many people out there who see the pavement as their extended drive.

It would appear that the experience of the OP is a bad one and the attitude of the car owner was awful. Don't however agree with being spiteful and doing deliberate damage. Do as someone has said, take a picture, all phones seem to have cameras these days and send it to the Sun with a letter about the veteran. See what the council do then.

Don't however agree with being spiteful and doing deliberate damage. Do as someone has said, take a picture, all phones seem to have cameras these days and send it to the Sun with a letter about the veteran. See what the council do then.

The bloke who has fought for this country has to go along the road because some abusive little **** thinks his car is worth more. I wouldnt do any deliberate damage, just try and get the buggy/wheelchair down there :smirk:

Hi

A

send the idiot and his car to iraq....lets see how tough he is then.......

Report the @rseh0le to both the police and council, get as many people banging on his door as possible. Get a bunch of "Hard" mates to accidentally scratch his car by pushing their severely disabled war veteran mate past the car in his wheelchair etc etc. See how he "f'" n Blinds and them :)

New Parking Laws in England and Wales since 31st March 2008

Rule 218 of the Highway Code says: "Do not park partially or wholly on the pavement unless signs permit it".

• If there are any restrictions, e.g. yellow line, then you cannot park on the pavement.
  • Where there are no other parking restrictions then a sign should say that you are not allowed to park on the pavement/grass verge.
  • Within London it is banned everywhere unless there is a sign permitting parking on the pavement or grass verge.

Vehicles parked on pavements can create a hazard:

• To pedestrians by causing an obstruction that may result in them having to step off the pavement into the carriageway, thus putting themselves in danger.
  • By restricting the width of the pavement and making it difficult for someone with a pushchair or wheelchair to pass safely - again this person may have to enter the carriageway to avoid the obstruction.
  • Due to the damage caused by driving on and off the pavement - broken flags, potholes, etc.

Illegally parked vehicles cost the City Council thousands of pounds a year in damaged paving and damaged grass verges. It can also create serious problems for blind, disabled and older people.

Report the @rseh0le to both the police and council, get as many people banging on his door as possible. Get a bunch of "Hard" mates to accidentally scratch his car by pushing their severely disabled war veteran mate past the car in his wheelchair etc etc. See how he "f'" n Blinds and them :)

New Parking Laws in England and Wales since 31st March 2008

Rule 218 of the Highway Code says: "Do not park partially or wholly on the pavement unless signs permit it".

• If there are any restrictions, e.g. yellow line, then you cannot park on the pavement.
  • Where there are no other parking restrictions then a sign should say that you are not allowed to park on the pavement/grass verge.
  • Within London it is banned everywhere unless there is a sign permitting parking on the pavement or grass verge.

Vehicles parked on pavements can create a hazard:

• To pedestrians by causing an obstruction that may result in them having to step off the pavement into the carriageway, thus putting themselves in danger.
  • By restricting the width of the pavement and making it difficult for someone with a pushchair or wheelchair to pass safely - again this person may have to enter the carriageway to avoid the obstruction.
  • Due to the damage caused by driving on and off the pavement - broken flags, potholes, etc.

Illegally parked vehicles cost the City Council thousands of pounds a year in damaged paving and damaged grass verges. It can also create serious problems for blind, disabled and older people.

Phone the police and they can fine them for parking on a kerb, it only take 5 mins so it's no bother for them, it's only a £30 fine but it should annoy him. I would ring them everytime you it parked like this and soon everyone will get annoyed and hopefully it will stop.

• 11 years later...

Revived from the grave.

Edinburgh City Council plan to totally ban cars from parking on pavements.

'Under plans drawn up by the city council, drivers who mount the kerb will face a £100 fine'. 

Double parking and parking at dropped kerbs will also be banned, although there will be an exemption for delivery drivers.

National Regulations will come into force on 11th December, with Edinburgh's enforcement to start in January 2024.

I look forward to the Delivery Driver definition for those that have a vehicle insured for Commercial / Business use and deliver Fast Food and such. 

There have been By-laws in Scotland with Councils / Local Authorities that bans Pavement Parking, but the articles i read say 

'First Scottish City to ban pavement parking'.    So maybe right in the First City in Scotland.

I love it when it is Councillors that get caught and shamed on Social Media, then there will be Parking Wardens or Enforcers at it as there is now.

1 hour ago, SteveTheElder said:

Totally support the push to ban pavement parking - but as with all regulations and as you point out, the devil is in the detail…

I also think that pavement parking should be banned. There is a lady in my village who has lost both legs below the knee. I occasionally see her in her electric buggy, going to the shops etc., usually using the pavement where other folk give way to her.

Recently a car was parked partly on the narrow pavement near my house and the poor lady was grumbling that she could not get past it. She had to go out into the road, facing traffic that sometimes was going a bit too fast. She was quite scared.

• Like 1