LEGO, are you ever too old?

Tech1e

I also got the Merc for my birthday. Just have the bed left to build. Some of those pneumatic pipes are fiddly to get on, even for me with my small fingers!

It looks great as a flat bed with hiab at the moment though. :notme:

I've been very slowly building the AROCS with my 4 year old, teaching him about pneumatics. A bit of spit on the connectors helps get the pipes on. We're halfway through building the cab at the moment. It's an awesome set.

Edited by Nick P

I've been very slowly building the AROCS with my 4 year old, teaching him about pneumatics. A bit of spit on the connectors helps get the pipes on. We're halfway through building the cab at the moment. It's an awesome set.

Top Tip - Leave the grille off the cab until you've mounted it on the chassis.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is the Smyths 20% off finished?  Probably a good thing I missed that, got so much Lego stored up at the moment because if you don't buy it now, it's a fortune to buy after it's past end of life.  

I quite like the Speed Champion cars, particularly the new Audi R8 and the R18 although annoyingly they've released a road going Corvette rather than the racing one which would go well with the 458 and 911's.

John

Started making this over the weekend with my 11 yr old daughter.  It's one of my old ones from when I was a kid.

So far only the engine is done and she struggled a bit as the instructions were a bit more sparse than they are now...

I have a big box of Lego in the loft and that, amongst other things, is in it. In bits of course and with no instructions. You can get the instructions online of course and I will get round to rebuilding it one day. This is from the original Technic series without any of the specially shaped pieces that you get today. I remember it had a two speed gearbox but you could only push it along in second. First gear made the pistons go up and down so fast the engine would jump out or the diff would fall apart. I got this for Christmas 1978.

I have so far managed to rebuild this. Set 851 Tractor.

post-98319-0-71719400-1475349845_thumb.jpg

This must be the simplest Technic set ever, again from the original 1978 releases, but the proportions are perfect. It has rack and pinion steering, which is probably one up on the real thing, and a big lever alongside the side the drivers seat that can raise or lower a series of different farming implements that are easily removed by by pulling out two bars. The one I have made here seems to be some sort of crop sprayer (spraying something that has probably now been banned!) This was the simplest one but seemed to work the best. There was a quite fancy rotary thing but it would fall apart quite easily.

post-98319-0-10109100-1475350733_thumb.jpgpost-98319-0-77828500-1475350839_thumb.jpgpost-98319-0-60664600-1475350874_thumb.jpg

Raised, lowered (note lever by rear wheel), and removed.

• Like 1

I have a big box of Lego in the loft and that, amongst other things, is in it. In bits of course and with no instructions. You can get the instructions online of course and I will get round to rebuilding it one day. This is from the original Technic series without any of the specially shaped pieces that you get today. I remember it had a two speed gearbox but you could only push it along in second. First gear made the pistons go up and down so fast the engine would jump out or the diff would fall apart. I got this for Christmas 1978.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160930_153906.jpg

This must be the simplest Technic set ever, again from the original 1978 releases, but the proportions are perfect. It has rack and pinion steering, which is probably one up on the real thing, and a big lever alongside the side the drivers seat that can raise or lower a series of different farming implements that are easily removed by by pulling out two bars. The one I have made here seems to be some sort of crop sprayer (spraying something that has probably now been banned!) This was the simplest one but seemed to work the best. There was a quite fancy rotary thing but it would fall apart quite easily.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160930_153931.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160930_153945.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160930_154151.jpg

if you need the car instructions I still have the originals and the original box - I could scan them in if you can't find them online

And then we go proper old skool. These are sets 390 and 391. A 1913 Cadillac and 1926 Renault. These date from 1975.

post-98319-0-04288000-1475351380_thumb.jpgpost-98319-0-13260000-1475351424_thumb.jpgpost-98319-0-34322600-1475351458_thumb.jpg

I noticed after I took the pictures that the Cadillac has some front suspension bits missing and a bit of one the wheel arches on the Renault. These must have fallen back in the box but I do have them. You'll also notice the Renault has a computer screen built into its bonnet. Despite spreading the entire contents of the box over the floor I couldn't find the right piece so it has a piece of space Lego in its place. So it's a 1926 car with satnav but that's the beauty of Lego isn't it?

• Like 1

if you need the car instructions I still have the originals and the original box - I could scan them in if you can't find them online

Hi, that was a quick reply, cheers. I think they are still online and I won't be doing it any time soon. It's a big model isn't it. Once I've finished making the loft habitable I might think about it. Thanks for the offer, I'll get back to you if need be. Thanks.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160930_153906.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160930_153931.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160930_153945.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160930_154151.jpg

I dunno; a properly working 3-point linkage strikes me as fairly impressive engineering.

On the tractor lifting mechanism you mean? It is so simple that you overlook how neat it is. You pull the lever and it locks the mechanism in the raised position even with the heaviest piece of machinery on the back. Then you pull the other way and there is the slightest feel of resistance and then it goes down.

On the tractor lifting mechanism you mean? It is so simple that you overlook how neat it is. You pull the lever and it locks the mechanism in the raised position even with the heaviest piece of machinery on the back. Then you pull the other way and there is the slightest feel of resistance and then it goes down.

That's it exactly. The reason it's so impressive is that this is how the 3-point linkage (real name for real equipment) on real tractors works.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget to blitz the Tesco 3 for 2 that's on that the moment as it stacks with some already excellent discounts across the range.

Ordered what would have been £744 worth from lego.com today for £362. So an average 51.5% off on some good sets. Should keep me and the kids busy all next year! :)

High Speed passenger trains for £44 when you get 3 were a particular highlight for me -  ~55.5% off list!

Little sets like the City Van & Caravan 60117 for £8.50 when you get 3 are a bargain too at 52.5% off list.

I didn't bother with any as I'm kind of luke warm on the theme and not sure on the investment potential, but the 60124 Volcano exploration base sets are £44.99 at Tesco, so on the 3 for 2 work out £30 each - that's a 62.5% saving off list.

Item Qty Price   LEGO City Airport Passenger Terminal 60104 1 £56.97   LEGO City High-Speed Passenger Train 60051 3 £199.41   LEGO City Police Pursuit 60128 1 £12.82   LEGO City Van & Caravan 60117 1 £12.82   LEGO City Airport Cargo Plane 60101 1 £12.99   LEGO City FireStation 60110 1 £52.24   LEGO Classic Large Creative Box 10697 1 £50.00   LEGO City Airport Air Show 60103 1 £48.97   LEGO Creator Vacation Getaways 31052 1 £45.08   LEGO City FireBoat 60109 1 £39.87

Promotional savings 3 for 2 on Toys -£169.16   Total £362.01

Edited by Nick P