Does the vrs badge attract trouble?

R1DAVIE

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get chav's/general idiots trying to race on a daily basis?

Just drove home from my g/f's and have had yet another ******* idiot tailgate me in a 60 zone then blast past me in a 30!!!!

Am getting increasingly sick of dickheads who seem to be doing this,quite frankly,dangerous driving on an almost daily basis. Its getting to the point im convinced its because i have a vrs and they fancy "doing" it just for some bragging rights.

Does anyone else feel that having a vrs badge on their car invites idiots to "have a go"?

Nope, never had any problems.

Well apart from a noob driving a Octavia ecoline (didn't like me overtaking him on a dual carriage way)

And a bloke driving a toyota "I've had my kids now I'm waiting to die" people carrier thing.

My car Is boggo standard ATM, but I guess the VRS badge may give people who know what the cars about the red mist?!?

I get this alllll of the time, sitting at 60 on the motorway and I get numptys in their corsas flying up behind me and going for the horizontal over takes...

People in a yaris overtaking past a school....

Endless tbh

I don't think so. It's more the standard of driving out there than the VRS badge.

I get idiots doing the same daft manouvers around me wether I'm in my mkI VRS or my mkII Greenline II with a whopping 75bhp.

EDIT Voted yes but not really on a daily basis.

but more often than I'd like.

Not so much at the moment as it's running on steels.

They hide the painted calipers and 312s a bit better and from the side at least

it isn't instantly recognisable as a vRS to the layman.

The rear is fully debadged except for a Pastyboy version of the OE roundel

but my big oval exhaust is a fair clue it's not a regular Fabia I suppose.

There's still a V on the non OE front grille though which may or may not

add to the Fabias menacing scowl in the rear view mirror when it's gaining

on the car in front.

When the oe alloys are on then I guess it looks more like a vRS from any angle .

but at the moment it's in winter stealth mode.

But... I've had many a Fiesta, Clio and Corsa have a go but at nearly

39 years old, I have nothing to prove, so I just let them by and keep on rolling.

It's usually younger lads rather than a specific car type to be honest but

these usual automotive suspects are all smaller cars that young lads can

afford to run, insure and mod. But it's rarely more elegant and exclusive cars which

the younger lads may be able to buy, but can't afford to run/maintain.

Interestingly, I never seem to get this in the MX5 despite it being lowered and blinged

up a bit with chrome bits and custom painted wheels . Plus it's the hardtop version

which looks sportier than the rag top in roof up mode IMO.

When you consider it's a whisker under160bhp with twin exhaust and rwd I'd expect more

people to have a go at it but it seems like it's invisible despite me screaming around in it

at 7000rpm a lot of the time. Funny old world ain't it.

I don't think so. It's more the standard of driving out there than the VRS badge.

I get idiots doing the same daft manouvers around me wether I'm in my mkI VRS or my mkII Greenline II with a whopping 75bhp.

Agreed!

Only Mini's tried to race my old vRS but the new one has been pretty inconspicuous so far apart from one chav in a Corsa VXR revving his boll0cks off behind me as I came out of B&Q. Wonder how his Piston 4 is :giggle:

As for erratic and lunacy behind the wheel are Prius drivers and the majority of Peugeot drivers particularly 406's. They're normally battered driven by some fat chav who is quite happy to pull out on you at the last minute or cut you up or feint a right turn then go left or jockey for position all the way down the dual carriageway going into Swansea and even using the the bus lane to get ahead all to gain a car length. :wall::@:wall::@:wall::@

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys chaps :thumbup:

I do agree its probably more to do with the standard of driving nowadays but just it seems to happen practically everyday :S

As much as i love my SE to bits,i have even considered selling it and getting something without a "race me" badge on it.

I sometimes get boy racers or fast car owners that come flying up my arse to try and pass or whatever and for some reason they must see the 'vrs' badge and back off.

Dont think that they want to get smoked by a skoda. Id imagine 'mister corsa with lexus lights guy' knows jack about the skoda vrs range anyway...

Thanks for the replys chaps :thumbup:

I do agree its probably more to do with the standard of driving nowadays but just it seems to happen practically everyday :S

As much as i love my SE to bits,i have even considered selling it and getting something without a "race me" badge on it.

id say this was slightly over the top. Swap your car because you get people racing you? why not just let people do what they do, you are always going to get this no mater what car you drive i think, people with a similar level of car (their opinion or yours) will always want to prove something, thats just how it is.

i take more pride in sitting there and letting them do that, because they will be more annoyed at you not paying any attention to stupid stuff like that than actually racing them, regardless of wether you beat them. I chose my races carefully haha, especially now i drive a 68bhp (when it was new) corsa :) i can still beat anything ;)

Edited by E11HES

id say this was slightly over the top. Swap your car because you get people racing you? why not just let people do what they do, you are always going to get this no mater what car you drive i think, people with a similar level of car (their opinion or yours) will always want to prove something, thats just how it is.

i take more pride in sitting there and letting them do that, because they will be more annoyed at you not paying any attention to stupid stuff like that than actually racing them, regardless of wether you beat them. I chose my races carefully haha, especially now i drive a 68bhp (when it was new) corsa :) i can still beat anything ;)

Before i got the SE i had a 52 plate Suzuki Ignis 1.3 and never had one bit of aggro from other drivers,hence me wondering if the vrs badge is like a red rag to a bull for some folk.

Agreed selling the car might seem over the top but i regularly have the g/f and her 11yr old daughter in the car.

If i felt that the badge was possibly putting them more at risk from some idiot crashing into us,then im sure you'd agree(if you have family)that selling the car and getting something slightly more mundane would be the answer.

All the time!!!bigger cars sticking to bumper or boy racers trying to race me!!! In the areas where ya can pop ya foot down I do just a smidge, pull away rather fast for very short distance just to prove a point!had a idiot in a 4x4 tryin to get past in a 30 so slowed right down and.gave him the "little Willy" gesture. I like my quick car but I don't need ppl to drive on me rear bumper and try racing

Not in the Fabia. I find I drive too conservatively these days. If I try anything "serious", I find the brakes fade after 2-3 applications. I also find myself at the filling station too soon after the last sip.

In my Impreza, massive reactions, usually from people caught unawares or day dreaming. On the M25 or similar they either leapt out of the way nearly crashing or stubbornly held their lane determined I wouldn't pass... So I'd pull over and let Mr Mondeo behind me bulldoze them out of the way, then flow through after mondeo man. Thanks to the M25 I never had to figure out what to do if there wasn't another car around. :)

Had one really quite bad moment when I caught a people carrier on a minor road. I'd slowed as he was too far gone to overtake on the only straight without massive speed and risk. He took off like his arse was on fire, back end of the PC flailing like a wagon in a western through the twists and turns, shooting through a 1/2 blind width restriction at 40 plus where we should be giving way. By that point I'd already decided I didn't want to be a part of his accident and slowed down, dropping back as I'd decided if anything did happen it was likely to be "expansive" or "protracted".

J.

I have had this a lot in the past and its not specific to the vRS. You always get some idiot thinks there plastic fantastic car can take something more powerful.

In my years I have had several fast cars Renault 5 Turbo, Lancia Delta Evo (phenomenal car), 2wd Sierra Cosworth and its happened in all of them.

I remember being in the cossie one day, fully loaded up with passengers, and this idiot in a Seat Toledo came up behind me an inch from the bumper and pulling out and back in again and then when the road was clear he overtook me, I just let him go as I had no point to prove.

10 minutes later pulled into a garage and there he was, he came and spoke to me and stated 'I saw you and I just had to take you' I must say I just looked at him expressionless for a second and then just ****ed myself laughing. He genuinely believed this old Toledo was a match for my car.

When you are up against idiots like that you cant win so nowadays I just let them go by as the only bragging rights they will have will be amongst similar idiots and if they try to tell someone with any knowledge of cars they will know its BS.

It's fairly inconspicuous, which is exactly what I like about it :)

even more so given your current wheel/wheel trim arrangement :D

I don't think the VRS attracts idiots; just being on the road that does that.

I reckon the new generation of drivers are spoilt and drive accordingly so.

The credit situtation allows new drivers to spend just X a month (following a despoit from mummy and daddy as well as being put on their insurance) to drive a brand new car making them pretty fearless and more prone to driving like a tw*t.

Had they had to work hard and save up every penny (and then still be able to only afford a 80's 1.0l Micra) they'd be much more wary of losing it all while pricking about.

• Like 1

I used to get it a lot I don't know if they just like getting up my ass because they think i'm in a "Slow Skoda" badge snobs, then overtaking me to make a point, like one morning in a 30mph near a school where i know there are sometimes mobile speed cameras, peugot 407 gets up my ass then blasts past me doing about 40-50 while staring and calling me a wan**r and all other names as he past.

I prefer to stick to the speed now in cruise control and save my money and just watch people get angry when they tried to race me, unless I'm having a little fun on a convoy, last time I was intimidated by some one was by a Seat Cupra that came flying up my ass in a 50 so I put my foot down got to about 80, realised he was flying off at the next exit then realised there was a speed camera right in front of me just after the exit and managed to slow down to 59, I've debadged the back of my car now, looks nicer and most people just think it's a normal skoda now.