Nice video of Yeti production

Andymod

I've seen it before, I particularly like the spray booth, very impressive when they change colour from car to car.

I've seen it before, I particularly like the spray booth, very impressive when they change colour from car to car.

Yes, it's here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/223777-how-your-yeti-was-born/page__p__2632991__hl__yeti%20production__fromsearch__1#entry2632991

Still a rather interesting video though.

Nice video of Yeti production, be warned its 25 minutes long.

That's cool. I've only watched to 8:50 so far but quite hypnotic. It does make you wonder how the first few cars built ended up and whether there were any mechanical clashes :drunk:

I've been in a few automotive factories before and I find them fascinating places. I watched this video with my wife this morning and to my amazement, she got through it all without even mentioning going shopping!

It really is mesmerising and rather odd, particularly in the fabrication and spraying end where it is heavily automated. There's something quite SciFi getting machines to build machines to move humans around!

It really is awe inspiring, hardly a human involved! Was it the Fiat Uno that started the current method 'built by robots driven by humans'? Seem to remember the TV adverts a few years ago.

• 5 months later...

Very good video and nice to see the process.

However, I've just sat and watched a car being built in 25 minutes so why did it take 7 months to get mine.....

Lol!

Because a lot people watched it before you did ;p

A couple of interesting points:

The paint process omits the E-coat and primer coat and starts with applying sealer after drying the primer coat.

The car shown in assembly is a RH drive version.

At the end of the vid, there are on-screen links to Octavia and Superb production.

It really is awe inspiring, hardly a human involved! Was it the Fiat Uno that started the current method 'built by robots driven by humans'? Seem to remember the TV adverts a few years ago.

It was 1979 and was the Fiat Strada abvert - "Handbuilt by Robots". Does not seem like 33 years ago. I had one - awful car like most Fiats.

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/thework/893171/

Thanks Graham, Croeso! :happy:

It always amazes me seeing these robot production lines. So different from 1980 when I visited the Morgan car factory in Malvern. Mr Peter Morgan said - just have a wander round the production sheds, don't touch anything and don't take anything!

Thanks Graham, Croeso! :happy:

It always amazes me seeing these robot production lines. So different from 1980 when I visited the Morgan car factory in Malvern. Mr Peter Morgan said - just have a wander round the production sheds, don't touch anything and don't take anything!

One of the things that amazed me about the Land Rover factory in Solihull.

They have robots making Range Rovers and almost alongside they have guys bolting together Defenders by hand. :)

Fascinating video! Particularly poignant as my little Yeti is scheduled to be built this very week. It was like watching her birth-pangs! LOL

I am old enough to remember the days of British 'hand-built' cars of the 60s and 70s - like British Leyland - the human assembly teams led by the likes of shop-steward "Red Robbo". The workforce spent more time holding meetings and on strike than they ever did building cars! And their 'friday afternoon' models were legendary - you had to hope and pray you hadn't got one: everything put together any-old-how in a mad rush to get away early for the weekend.

Personally I put a lot more confidence in a car assembled by Czech robots!

Edited by mikespike

Interesting vid. Nice find :)

One of the things that amazed me about the Land Rover factory in Solihull.

They have robots making Range Rovers and almost alongside they have guys bolting together Defenders by hand. :)

Trying to watch a robot assemble a Defender would be hilarious I'd imagine! :D

Don't know if it's true, but an employee told me that the labour cost of building a Defender is the 'most expensive per car' in the world - outside the luxury market (Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari etc).

(I appreciate that the Defender isn't strictly speaking a car, perhaps more likely described as a commercial vehicle - but the comment is probably still accurate!)

I was told that they now don't even make a worthwhile profit on Defenders either, which is probably why the new one due out in the near future will be so radically different.

And the up-roar on some LR sites about it..............................................................

I've spent many years in many automotive sites. It's a good film, but they've cherry picked all the bits using fancy automation. What they haven't shown are the hundreds of people actually bolting in parts, wire harnesses, whacking doors with rubber mallets to get final alignment etc...!