Fabia mkI 4x4 Turbo Petrol. (from idea to build...)

BossFox

Great find, mate. If you don't mind telling, how much did it set you back?

I don't realy want to get into costs, as I may get depressed later... ;)

But this 4x4 Fabia and the 07 plate 1.2 Classic stand me in about 10K with a lot of spares and bits to sell on which will probably make about 2k back.

Not too bad really. But the costs will go up later as on top of the fabrication it'll need brakes, track suspension, respray etc...

Overall I have a budget in mind, and it's not too far off what I've spend in total on my 09 plate VRS SE. Which for me personally is good value to have something that puts a big smile on my face and is the only RHD 4x4 Fabia out there at the moment.

Better than just buying a new family car for similar money.

If I end up getting close to a 0-60mph time of 4.5 seconds in a Skoda Fabia then it's worth every penny IMO.

To some people it'll always be a crazy idea, but it's what I want and will be far cheaper to buy and run than a modern high power sports car.

An amazing Skoda Q car. Subtle looking and shockingly fast. That's what I am aiming for. :)

Fabia rear supension beam is just a shorter similar version of the Octi, and as a 4x4 Octi was made in MKI then how about a chopped MKI Octi 4x4 drivetrain???

The new Audi A1 Quattro uses a chopped version of the S3 (also TTS) drivetrain.

As for making my dreams.........I'd make it with the full WRC body kit with the same colour as my car (dark met blue) with no stickers, no roll cage (but body fully seam welded), and a full cream/tan leather interior, with the red seat belts as used on the run out sport and VRS Fabia MKI, and a set of five spokes... :rock:

If I end up getting close to a 0-60mph time of 4.5 seconds in a Skoda Fabia then it's worth every penny IMO.

To some people it'll always be a crazy idea

Not a crazy idea at all.

Readily achievable with that basis you have there.

As you stated at the start, you're going to need about 255bhp/tonne + 4x4 to get 4.5seconds 0-60

If your weight is in the region of 1300Kg then 350bhp is roughly what's required.

A 2.0TFSI engine would be cheaper option than a 1.8T for the required output

• Like 1

Car looks great Richard,

On another slightly different note, don't fancy the fuel bill for the Disco 2 TD5 got to be about 1500-1600miles round trip at about 350miles per 95ltr tank, ouch.

This sounds like it's going to be awesome.

Seen a couple of Rallycross Fabias at Lydden Hill before, if you get the chance to go down there on a bank holiday weekend they'd probably be worth looking at for ideas and speak to the teams about them.

Any idea what sort of turbo you'll end up going for? Something massive would be good for drag use at Santa Pod but awful for most UK tracks.

• Like 1

you're not suggesting swapping chassis plates are you :giggle:

That's actually the easiest option. I did that once with a former STCC racecar. Or at least the body. Won't go into specifics, but it was pretty straight forward. Of course, it wasn't actually completely illegal in my case, just a legal grey zone.

• Like 1

I notice your haldex unit is not wired up, does it have something like the in the pic below, where you'd expect to find the controller unit

That was removed for storage to stop people borrowing it apparently. I have a box of bits. Lots of extra bits. :)

The car runs 50% torque split front and rear according to the seller and I have no reason to question that.

Any idea what sort of turbo you'll end up going for? Something massive would be good for drag use at Santa Pod but awful for most UK tracks.

Not really decided yet. Engine needs to be sorted first in conjunction with mods as a package.

Engine is not a priority until later. But currently the idea is 1.8T or 2.0 TFSI and tune to between 400 and 500bhp, whatever is reliable and drivable without too much lag.

I did consider the 2.5 TFSI from the TT-RS for a while. Cracking engine, big power and very little lag with a good smooth torque curve. But getting one 2nd hand is like looking for rocking horse poo and they go for a lot of money, about 7k. With a stage 1 minor tweak it'll make over 400bhp, but they are rarely for sale and usually go in about 4 hours. I have to say that if one comes up at the right money then it'll be going in... but I think it's unlikely I'll be able to get hold of one.

will that brake bias handbrake system be moving across as well ????

Not even thought about it yet. Could be fun though. :D

Would it not be simpler to try and get that rallycross car road legal? since most of the welding and fabrication to get it 4x4 has already been done?

Possibly, but I am doing this project once and right, so the UK registered Fabia will be the base car.

It would take a fair amount of time to convert everything to RHD anyway so I'm happy moving the 4x4 system over.

Plus the Rallycross car is quite well used so it'll all need removing and checking anyway.

I don't realy want to get into costs, as I may get depressed later... ;)

But this 4x4 Fabia and the 07 plate 1.2 Classic stand me in about 10K with a lot of spares and bits to sell on which will probably make about 2k back.

Not too bad really. But the costs will go up later as on top of the fabrication it'll need brakes, track suspension, respray etc...

Overall I have a budget in mind, and it's not too far off what I've spend in total on my 09 plate VRS SE. Which for me personally is good value to have something that puts a big smile on my face and is the only RHD 4x4 Fabia out there at the moment.

Better than just buying a new family car for similar money.

To some people it'll always be a crazy idea, but it's what I want and will be far cheaper to buy and run than a modern high power sports car.

An amazing Skoda Q car. Subtle looking and shockingly fast. That's what I am aiming for. :)

That's not too bad actually!

How handy are you? Will you be doing any work yourself?

That's not too bad actually!

How handy are you? Will you be doing any work yourself?

What I can, yes.

Unknown to most I used (before my current business) used to run a car garage supplying and fixing vehicles in East London. I started that when I was 21 and ran it for about three years. So while I have no qualifications and am a little behind the times on electronics I do know one end of a spanner from the other.

The other issue is time. So I tend to do what I want.

Although I quite enjoy tinkering, spending days on end doing something that I could pay to be done with a days work seems a bit of an odd way of doing it. Particularly if it means I get more time with my son who is now nearly three years old.

So as it's not a quick build I will do some parts, get help with the bits that will take me ages or I can't do (like welding and engine tweaking) and generally see how I go.

• Like 2

Rich are you not tempted just to leave it as is and spend the budget competing in rally cross for a couple of years?

Oddly enough, no.

As the car already has it's FIA passport I can see where you are coming from though.

Maybe if I use less bits and more info from it I could sell it on to someone that wanted to...

Thanks for the idea Cliff. Always nice to get a different perspective.

Oddly enough, no.

As the car already has it's FIA passport I can see where you are coming from though.

Maybe if I use less bits and more info from it I could sell it on to someone that wanted to...

Thanks for the idea Cliff. Always nice to get a different perspective.

Hmm, I gonna keep up with this build, of course. But gimmie a shout if there is anything left of it when you're done.

Always nice to get a different perspective.

Don't get me wrong creating the craziest road legal fabia is still brilliant!

Generally though you see a road cars being butchered to create a race car; rather than the other way around! :D

• Like 3

I did consider the 2.5 TFSI from the TT-RS for a while. Cracking engine, big power and very little lag with a good smooth torque curve. But getting one 2nd hand is like looking for rocking horse poo and they go for a lot of money, about 7k. With a stage 1 minor tweak it'll make over 400bhp, but they are rarely for sale and usually go in about 4 hours. I have to say that if one comes up at the right money then it'll be going in... but I think it's unlikely I'll be able to get hold of one.

You'll just have to make a bid after 3 hours then :D

Edited by armstrong21490