Dash Cams

This is a quick one I took to test the phone out. Wobbles a lot as its on a very cheap holder mounted onto a bean bag. I'm probably either going to use a windscreen mount, or a smaller more substantial dash mounted holder - downside to this is the low position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMpKJoz54fs

Here is mine on Octavia on normal self adhesive mounts front and back. No modification needed. For rear window of Yeti if it's too sheer a screen you could get an 'L' shaped piece of plastic and stick the smaller end to top of window, creating a level surface for a ball mount. any threaded mount should work as its a standard tripod sized screw thing on it. 

but Octy is spot on self adhesive or suction ball mount.

Are these integrated somehow, or have you spliced this video together?

This is a quick one I took to test the phone out. Wobbles a lot as its on a very cheap holder mounted onto a bean bag. I'm probably either going to use a windscreen mount, or a smaller more substantial dash mounted holder - downside to this is the low position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMpKJoz54fs

It certainly does the job though... Could be the difference between a successful claim and not.

I'm annoyed I wasted £30 in Halfords buying a window mounted holder that wobbled like jelly. Of course I had to wreck the packaging to fit it, so cant really take it back. Persuing the bean bag option, but limits cornering speed!

Those that are using their phones, what holders / mounting kits are you using?

Edited by stever750

I'm annoyed I wasted £30 in Halfords buying a window mounted holder that wobbled like jelly. Of course I had to wreck the packaging to fit it, so cant really take it back. Persuing the bean bag option, but limits cornering speed!

Those that are using their phones, what holders / mounting kits are you using?

Please take it back! If it's expensive and cr*p they shouldn't be selling it. This is what hacks me off with big companies peddling rubbish to us.

Are you local to me? I'll take it back for you! :-)

Edited by joncc

Please take it back! If it's expensive and cr*p they shouldn't be selling it. This is what hacks me off with big companies peddling rubbish to us.

Are you local to me? I'll take it back for you! :-)

Truth is the one holder is simply too small for my phone (my fault should have checked), the second is perfect for holding a phone to be used as a phone, just not rigid enough for video capture. In fact I'm impressed with the window mount, Halfords own brand and it's better made than most of the tosh from Amazon at similar prices.

Truth is the one holder is simply too small for my phone (my fault should have checked), the second is perfect for holding a phone to be used as a phone, just not rigid enough for video capture. In fact I'm impressed with the window mount, Halfords own brand and it's better made than most of the tosh from Amazon at similar prices.

If they have marketed it as a universal holder, and it didn't fit your phone, then it is not fit for purpose IMO. 

My biggest gripe with blister packaging is the waste that while the product mightn't be good for a person and is returned it still could be resold if it weren't for the awful packaging which ultimately means landfill / return to supplier (and all the transport costs associated). 

Sorry if this has been mentioned already (as I've shamelessly skipped to the end of the thread!), I use my mobile, htc one, and an app called videoreg. Works a treat. Overlays speed, gps, map, elevation, etc etc over videos. Loads is customisations, I'd recommend it.

My phone sits in its window mounted dock and just films away. App cost me £1.79

What mount are you using? I've been looking at the Ibolt dock but at £30 is almost as much as the mobius. I think that's what I'm end up doing fitting and forgetting.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

still happy with my Blackvue DR400HD-II

sample video from mine just to show the video quality at 1080 @ 30fps

watch in HD :)

but got my eye one this one for the wifes car:

about £33 delivered!

How did you mount the blackvue, and what about powering it? I'm put off with having to remove interior trim to hide wires and power it from the fuse box, although I can see the attraction. Best thing about an interactive unit is you can immediately retain a clip, whereas with the mobius you'd have to search for it later.

How did you mount the blackvue, and what about powering it? I'm put off with having to remove interior trim to hide wires and power it from the fuse box, although I can see the attraction. Best thing about an interactive unit is you can immediately retain a clip, whereas with the mobius you'd have to search for it later.

In what way do you mean retain a clip? As an 'interactive unit' do you mean like one with a screen?

Blackvue is mounted with a self adhesive pad on it's own mounting bracket which is a flat pad (against screen) that has a hallow cylinder, which the camera itself clucks into and releases on a sprung button. Mount is then basically staying in that car, if you want to use it in another or in multiple positions you would need to purchase extra mounts. It is powered the same as all by 12V socket adaptor. Hard wired in or not hiding wires shouldn't involve removing a single piece of trim. Wires simply push behind the edge of existing trims and stay in nicely and route in direction required. 

This random pic illustrates how you'd just push it behind trim without removal. You do not need any tools fingers have already been enough for me and I have proper man hands! 

TDv4t.jpg

A good pic of BlackVue DR500GW and mount:

269345_2.jpg

In what way do you mean retain a clip? As an 'interactive unit' do you mean like one with a screen?

Yes, for example using the daily drive recorder app on my phone, if you've got it active on the phone screen, you can simply tap the screen to save that clip. Most of the bigger cams appear to have a dedicated button to do this live without having to search through the files later. This is one big disadvantage I can see if using one that doesn't have a screen, or at least a remote control through a wi fi or BT connection to a phone app. The £180 price tag doesn't help either!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Yes, for example using the daily drive recorder app on my phone, if you've got it active on the phone screen, you can simply tap the screen to save that clip. Most of the bigger cams appear to have a dedicated button to do this live without having to search through the files later. This is one big disadvantage I can see if using one that doesn't have a screen, or at least a remote control through a wi fi or BT connection to a phone app. The £180 price tag doesn't help either!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Got ya, I have had a few with screens etc, but tbh playback on a screen on a camera I found a pretty redundant feature. The only possible time playback on a screen could be of use to me is to demonstrate something post event to a guilty party to shut their face up trying to lie and hopefully prevent a long drawn out battle between insurers. But to do that the micro small screens would be fairly useless to show any detail and I would not be inviting anyone into my vehicle for a screening. The mobile linked ones I have only had with the BlackVue DR500GW and it wasn't the best for me with the range being fairly limited to again being in the car or immediately beside it at front, even then wasn't the best. Again as much as I loved the gadgety feature it was and it really helped sell me on the camera, I cannot imagine ever feasibly using it, bar to show someone this cool feature for the sake of it.  If for any footage I want to review or keep for whatever reason, I would only ever do so on an actual computer back home. All cameras for this it means removing the memory card or entire camera to achieve. Locating a specific incident never takes too long, if you recall wanting to find something you will know roughly what time it was and rough location. Write protection for current file function to preserve one for sure I have had but never needed to use as I use large memory cards and even when driving up to 1000 miles in a journey can swap cards if needs be or if nothing I want just let it loop record with no need to interact. 

The main thing I think is important above all others in specifically a video camera to be used in a vehicle as a dash camera, is the quality of footage recorded. I capture number plates of oncoming vehicles both parties doing 60mph currently. BlackVue couldn't do this even at 20mph in 90% of conditions and at it's worse I wouldn't recognise the make or model of another vehicle..... That even if they had have worked properly as cameras which they didn't would have been the death of them for me. 

As I said for myself way earlier in the thread, if one of my Mobius cams died tomorrow I would retain one for the rear and give the Mini 0801 with GPS mount and internal flash (for should I forget my micro SD and am pressed for time). Video quality seems to be pretty up there at the moment in the scheme of things. 

Daily Roads Voyager app. 

Works in background so you can take calls, do whatever. 

On an HTC one, factory cradle. 

This is on its most basic video setting, so you could get higher quality of you wanted, but I think this is fine. 

Why waste money on a separate camera? 

Daily Roads Voyager - Skoda Octavia VRS: http://youtu.be/RCCvxfiCSeA

Just comes down to personal preference. I doubt anyone here bought a specific camera to waste their hard earned money, in the same way I would not describe someone who chooses the mobile app method as tight. It's just down to what the individuals requirements are against their budget. I don't like wires around the place and I would need phone plugged in to charge, I also do not mount my phone on or near windscreen as I dislike things like that in an OCD sort of way. I also rather get into car and not have to do a single thing and know it will discretely do it all by itself with greater quality and memory capacity for length of footage which will cover my drives. My mobile has 80gb capacity but I do have most of it taken up as I make good use of the device, so would be very limited in that sense. The stability of footage also is an issue for me, even after letting youtube attempt to stabilise it afterwards, which takes time, it's still not of the quality which I wish to attain. There are a few great dash cam style apps these days, it's a great extra feature to be able to use from already versatile devices, just doesn't work for FUBAR. 

Absolutely mate, horses for courses, just putting the info out there. I stumbled across it and thought it might save someone some time posting above. 

Suits me fine as the first thing I do when I get in the car is stick my phone in its cradle so makes no odds for me. 

Must admit, I hate wires too. 

• Like 1

Because you'll have a dead phone after a while from it constantly writing to the flash memory, unless you use a replaceable card.

Because you can leave the camera in the car when parked up to catch anyone who might ding it in a carpark.

Because you can just get in and drive without having to connect anything up.

Because you can share the car with other people or leave it with a mechanic and keep recording.

Because its considerably neater when wired up properly.

Because you can mount one facing the rear too.

• Like 3

As I have already said, horses for courses. If you want to buy a couple of cameras and mount them on the front and back of your car, more power to you mate. It's not for me and I'd see it as a waste (for 'me').

I'm also not trying to convince you otherwise or extol the virtues of phone apps over cameras. It suits me, so I'm sure it will suit plenty others, and posting about it will, I'm sure, be useful for those people.

Information is the key so it's good to have these forums for people to make an informed decision.

In answer to your points;

"Because you'll have a dead phone after a while from it constantly writing to the flash memory, unless you use a replaceable card."

I'm not a mobile phone engineer (though my brother was for many years so I'll need to ask him) but I'd be interested in how this works? I know several people that have used their phone in this manner for a few years with apparent ill effects. If it's going to wreck your phone that would be a bit of a deal breaker, so what's the science behind this? I'll be upgrading / changing my phone every 18 months or their abouts, so if it lasts that lone, for me, this isn't an issue.

"Because you can leave the camera in the car when parked up to catch anyone who might ding it in a carpark."

If the camera(s) are facing the right way and is in the cameras field of vision, catches the vehicle registration plate, catches the before and after damage and catch the drivers face. (At least, that would be for proving any criminal case). In terms of civil liability on the balance of probability for insurance claims, I'd still be looking for those factors to be on tape.

Yes, I'd love to catch someone dinging my car in a car park, but it doesn't concern me enough to buy a couple of cameras and have them fitted (because, lets face it, if the driving factor here is catching someone dinging your car, your going to want to have one at the back as well).

"Because you can just get in and drive without having to connect anything up."

The only thing I have to connect, is sticking my phone in it's cradle, and sticking the adapter in the cigarette jack, both of which takes me around a second and doesn't bother me in the least.

"Because you can share the car with other people or leave it with a mechanic and keep recording."

Yes, that would be good, and obviously I wouldn't like to leave my phone in the car to do this. I don't share my car, so would only be for a mechanic. Again though, for me, the odd time that happens against the risk/probability of them doing something to the car just doesn't justify it for me. Plus I trust my regular mechanic! :-)

"Because its considerably neater when wired up properly."

Again, as I've said before, this doesn't bother me in the least

"Because you can mount one facing the rear too."

Covered above, but that's just taking it a bit far for me. Why not fit one facing either side of the car then? Having two fitted cameras is just a bit much for me.

Again though, if that is what you want to do, great, but those are my own opinions in answer to your points.

Because you'll have a dead phone after a while from it constantly writing to the flash memory, unless you use a replaceable card.

Because you can leave the camera in the car when parked up to catch anyone who might ding it in a carpark.

Because you can just get in and drive without having to connect anything up.

Because you can share the car with other people or leave it with a mechanic and keep recording.

Because its considerably neater when wired up properly.

Because you can mount one facing the rear too.

You asked why, I said why I do :)

I'm going to address a couple of your questions as most points either way are just a matter of opinion.

The phone memory issue is more a generic flash wear-out one. All flash memory has a limited number of writes before it fails and it was a consideration for me as I don't change phones unless it breaks, but in your situation its not likely to be much of a problem.

For parking, it depends how and where you park in a carpark. I always back into parking spaces and try and park in a place that covers the approach to the parking space, so any vehicle coming and going should pass infront of the camera. Generally anyone who gets in next to the car will be caught on camera. Obviously parking forwards facing a wall isn't going to be of any use to anyone. I don't expect to guarantee to catch someone, but if its not there, you definitely wont catch anything. It at least gives you a chance. All the camera installations I do for people include a switch to toggle between ignition switched and always on, so if you're in a car park or public place, it can constantly record.

Plus, these cameras are not very expensive. For £50, its well worth the money to me and many others.

"Because you can just get in and drive without having to connect anything up."

The only thing I have to connect, is sticking my phone in it's cradle, and sticking the adapter in the cigarette jack, both of which takes me around a second and doesn't bother me in the least.

Out of intersest you do connect yours up every single journey,even if its to pop up to the shops/mate who lives 2 minutes away.

One of the big reasons I see people going for the cameras is also thier increase view, this can be critical for showing something to the side of you.

Yeah, I put it on every time. I use a bluetooth system so I can make/receive handsfree calls, which is connected to my radio via an mp3 cable (I'm giving the impression my car is covered in cabling but it's ok!) so I always put it on. The app is set up so that as soon as it connects to the bluetooth unit, it goes on and works in the background.

By the way, if I get a ding in the car park I won't be posting it here, as I'll have a large quantity of egg related matter on my face!

I think I would be safe in saying you are the exception. Everyone I know with a similar system admits they often don't bother connecting it up. This in it self is the key to the fixed camera installs. It doesn't rely on any user actions.

Daily Roads Voyager app. 

Works in background so you can take calls, do whatever. 

On an HTC one, factory cradle. 

This is on its most basic video setting, so you could get higher quality of you wanted, but I think this is fine. 

Daily Roads Voyager - Skoda Octavia VRS: http://youtu.be/RCCvxfiCSeA

For me, the main reasons were:

1. Faf of having to mount and unmount the phone and cradle each time

2. Killed the battery on my phone ... literally (or at least it did on my HTC Desire S, ended up bloating to a size that damaged the screen and stopped holding charge). On a phone with a sealed battery like my new HTC One it is not worth the risk as I'd have to send it off for an expensive repair to sort a damaged battery

3. Takes up much less windscreen real-estate 

4. Daily roads voyager occasionally crashed, especially when taking calls or using satnav