Car love...

Got my first car park ding today and suppose it was just a matter of time. you know the sort of person who does this.... flings the door open and never thinks, the sort that push in supermarket queues, drop litter!

Got me thinking why I felt so angry and in my case, I just want the car to remain as good as it can, not just for me, but mainly when I sell her on I get the best possible price ... anybody else like me or for some is it a bit more ?

• Like 2

Anybody that cares about there stuff will be same i think,

I always park out of way in carparks or as close to kerbs away from other cars as possible, I've got house with g/f that has a drive but no dropped kerb so i carn't get car on drive and i hate leaving it on roadside as we live on a hill and my cars first in line to get shunted if anything happens

I've always cared about my things - phones, bikes, cars but cars are special and look great when well kept and clean. I think many of us with Octys are the same; looking for the end-space or out of the way, parking next to nice motors who we think are like-minded about caring for their vehicles, but there's no accounting for folk - I have a mate with a Golf GTD, parked in an empty car park away from others, so some woman drives up next to him whilst he's still sat in the car, parks, then opened her door into his passenger side! She was surprised when he jumped out and gave her an ear-full on what the fuss was all about! :@

I'm very fussy and hate car parks , I take up 2 spaces if I can , but no matter how bad u try to avoid dents it always happens, I got on recently too from a car next to me. My wife drives the Vrs mostly so it's hard keep track :(

very annoying and its just a lack of thought/consideration from people.I got ticked off the other day when i had left the car parked at work for 2 weeks,came back to find scuff marks along the one side.Its the assholes who walk between vehicles with big bulky holdall bags.Instead of just lowering bag and carrying it with the hand straps whilst walking between vehicles,they continue to use the shoulder strap.Lucky some T cut got the marks off,but its bloody annoying.

And the ones who decide to take a fag break or whatever and think oh i'll just lean against this car or plant my arse on the bonnet for 5,or the ones who can't shut a car door normally,they have to slam the crap out the door.Don't Slam The Effing Door.

Rant over :rofl:

I agree with mikeholroyd that this sort of thing is annoying but not the end of the world. Easy for me to say though as mine is a company car ;)

I try and park next to nice cars as well as I guess thiswill elp to avoid dings.

I would never park in two spaces though as I think this is really ignorant and as bad as parking in disabled spaces or parent and child when you shouldn't.

• Like 1

It's not the little dings from thoughtless drivers swinging their doors open, it's the incompetence of some people when trying to park next to and drive along the side of your car, usually on they're way coming out the space so they already have a chance to just drive off

....I would never park in two spaces though as I think this is really ignorant and as bad as parking in disabled spaces or parent and child when you shouldn't.

Agreed, my sister learnt the hard way. A few years ago she went shopping at Bluewater with her new car. Paranoid about getting a scratch/ding, she straddled across two spaces. A passer-by confronted her about it, but seeing as he wasn't Bluewater staff or security, she told him where to go. A few hours later she came back to a keyed car. Who knows if was the same guy, but the irony of trying to be cautious attracted the wrong kind of attention. Then again, it was Mk1 Ford Ka, perhaps the shear ugliness of that car made them do it :giggle:

i always try and park miles away from anyone else, its become a joke now to other half and mates i need to catch a bus because i park so far away from shop doors etc, but yesterday had to use a multistorey in town got back and some numpty had parked a new ish Polo next to mine and left me less than 2 ft gap to get in car bearing in mind i'm nearly 17st wasn't impressed got missus hold the door and shoe-horned myself in aaaaaaaarrrggghhh

Like everyone else who has commented I hate car parks and even when I park miles from any other vehicle when I return to my car "white van man" has parked next to me. A few months ago a guy parked 2 spaces away from my car reversed out and collided with the rear of my car. At least he told me and paid for the repair but how he managed to reverse across 2 empty spaces and into me I will never know.

Don't get me started on the amount of money i have had to pay to fix damage on my cars due to other people. One person even pushed a asda trolley into the front of my car and smashed the headlamp, was to much to walk 30ft to the trolley bay so just pushed it away from them.

I'm very fussy and hate car parks , I take up 2 spaces if I can , but no matter how bad u try to avoid dents it always happens, I got on recently too from a car next to me. My wife drives the Vrs mostly so it's hard keep track :(

Be carefull as this is likely to cost you a £35 fine in most car parks!!!

Simon

I witnessed one where a women did it to a car and then drove off,,,, not before I attempted to point it out to her, who ignored and drove off,,,

I waited and told the driver also provided the registration and description of the driver, I also gave my details and address, well local police station,,,, funny was never asked to attend court,,,,

It so bad people should admit and be honest!!!!

Andy

I've got house with g/f that has a drive but no dropped kerb so i carn't get car on drive and i hate leaving it on roadside as we live on a hill and my cars first in line to get shunted if anything happens

I think you can pay the council to put in a dropped kerb for you? Not sure how much they charge for this though.

Might be worth it so you can sleep better at night :giggle:

My car was second hand and has a few small dinks. The one in the boot annoys me as I always see it and the scuff on the front bumper would be nice if I could sort it, but I think I would have to get a pro to do it

I also park right across the otherside of a car park in a big empty area and have to walk quite a way even in bad weather,annoys the wife but ia always tell her numerous times why but you know what they are like.When you come back still to a large empty area theres that tw** parked next to you sometimes with maccy d trash on the floor by your door.WTF !! I swear they do it on purpose.This is where those small dinks always happen.I don,t think you can get away these days from things like this.

I think you can pay the council to put in a dropped kerb for you? Not sure how much they charge for this though.

Might be worth it so you can sleep better at night :giggle:

How much will it cost?

The cost depends on the area of the footpath used to access the driveway.

A typical cost for a 5-kerb extension with a footway width not exceeding 2 metres (6 foot) would be £627.90.

Current pricing as of 2012.

I dare say it depends on who your local council is,the price may be a little different,but the above price is around what you would pay.

Edited by Dolla

I have to agree with all you said, unfortunately there are the t£@@s who decide that your car is better than theirs so they decide to put a few go faster scratches on. My mate drives a superb and has said when we go for pub lunch about my parking!!! He calls it dad parking. In a secluded area of the car park you will find my car lol. Only thing is buy new trainers you will step in dog sh1! Sooner or later unless of course you never venture out. I too get vexed by all the dings and scrapes seeing as you mulled over spec , colour and engine size for considerable time.

I ride a triumph motorcycle and god help anyone who touches it but I suppose it is a bug bearer when you have something nice some people have no consideration or are just plain jealous about what you have!

Agreed, my sister learnt the hard way. A few years ago she went shopping at Bluewater with her new car. Paranoid about getting a scratch/ding, she straddled across two spaces. A passer-by confronted her about it, but seeing as he wasn't Bluewater staff or security, she told him where to go. A few hours later she came back to a keyed car. Who knows if was the same guy, but the irony of trying to be cautious attracted the wrong kind of attention. Then again, it was Mk1 Ford Ka, perhaps the shear ugliness of that car made them do it :giggle:

Yeah, well whilst not condoning keying a car, this sort of selfish behaviour will wind up the majority of motorists, particularly in a place like Bluewater, which is packed to the gills most of the time. She was probably lucky that her car was there when she got back, because they generally clamp and tow them away for that kind of parking.

• Like 1

I used to park miles away from other cars but ,as others have said, I would come back to some **** having parked inches away from my drivers door in some scabby heap. I find that People movers (particularly picasso's, scenics and galaxy's) are the worst offenders for parking dings. You just have to look at the condition of most of these to see that the owner doesnt give a dam about where or how he/she parks.

On a previous car someone used the top of my wing to park their shopping while they got into their car. Didn't see them do it but had a nest of scratches on top of the wing when I got back to the car.

Also, in the same car I was driving past a block of flats when a golf ball appeared from over the roof and bounced on the bonnet. Left a perfect dint in which to store anything golf-ball sized. :@

You guys need to visit America.

When people get to their cars with their shopping trolleys, they leave the cart in the lot. Then some low payed youth picks them up and returns them; Often not fast enough, and on one particular windy day, we sat at the side of the road watching the carts go rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrCRASH into the side of cars at the parking lot...insane...

One day my dad went to his car after shopping. A lady before him was carrying a plastic box that folds away, it was full of groceries. She got to her car which was parked next to my dads. No keys in her hands. She thought for a moment, then threw the plastic box on the boot of my dads new Skoda Superb. He told her "can you please put that box somewhere else like the ground, instead of scratching my car???"

Her response?

"Oh my, aren't we a bit fussy today???"

She got into her car and drove off, license frame said "Car Leasing Athlon"...typical, another company car driven by the wife on a personal errand, with no disregard for other people.

I wasn't there, if I had been, I would have sat down on her bonnet and wiggled my jeans-covered ass all over it, the bitch :wall: