tyre black, which is best?

mikejay

Back OT (children!):

Similar to grr666, I use Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel - I used it mainly for the black plastic trim on the Octavia but now only used on tyres. Again use it sparringly, making sure the tyre is clean before hand. Lasts for ages, good 2-3 weeks in my usage (doing just under1k per week)

(grr666 is this the same as yours?)

So why post in this section then?

You appear to frequent this part of the forum on a regular basis, yet invariably have nothing positive to contribute to it

To coin an internet expression...It's Trolling!!

Think before you post...Nobody is interested in your negative car cleaning opinions! :@

Strange world Briskoda.

We Yetiists got criticised and told we were too insular and didn't bother with any other part of the Forums, and then when we do put our opinion elsewhere we get criticised again.

I see no reason to be anal about car cleaning, and as i've said if I polished my tyres within a mile they'd be covered in dirt again, along with the rest of my Yeti. Now if some don't like that opinion tough, but it is MINE, and it doesn't appear to be contrary to the Forums rules.

I see no problem with you not wanting to apply a product to your tyres

What I dont get from you is, why tell anyone in a car cleaning section that your not interested

ie..why post at all

As for being anal?......You really dont understand do you?

I have chemical guys too, use the mega for ages as I had no probs with it on my Contis lasting 3 weeks no prob! Then I changed to federals and nothing seems to take to them, as soon as theres any rain it's gone! :( and I need tyre gel in my life! :( I've now got, megs, chemical guys, zaino, gtechniq and the auto smart and nothing!! :( :(

I see no problem with you not wanting to apply a product to your tyres

What I dont get from you is, why tell anyone in a car cleaning section that your not interested

ie..why post at all

As for being anal?......You really dont understand do you?

The heading for this Section reads:

General Car Chat

Cars, cars and more cars. Skoda, VAG or any other marque.

Now that to me has NOTHING to do with car cleaning, but anything about cars. Repeat ANYTHING. Just try looking at some of the current threads. Is a thread about 205's anything to do with car cleaning?

I have my opinion, you have yours. I can't see the point in spending hours of time and lots of money in cleaning a car. Mine gets put through a car wash, or taken to the local pressure wash bay, especially if I've spent that day driving my Yeti off-road. My car is just an object to get me to work and for me to undertake my hobbies. Result, I am not anal about keeping my car clean. more often than not it gets cleaned because the wife is moaning about it. Now if you can't accept that I'm like that, tough, because I can assure there are plenty of other people like me, and several in the Yeti section.

Now unless you are appointed as a moderator, or you find I have broken any of the Rules of this Forum, I suggest you accept that this forum is made up of numerous members, some of whom won't have the same opinions as you, but who are free to post what ever they so like, within those Rules.

Llanigraham, I think the point folks are trying to make regading your posts is that the OP asked which product people would recommend to do the job. Whilst the post would have been better placed in the Car Care section; that you post about there being no point in bothering does not answer his question and therefore is not helpful; if he was asking whether or not he should use a product and if so which one, then your posts might be constructive relative to his enquiry. If you choose not to, fair enough, leave those who choose to do so to help him with his queries.

Anyway, back to the point. In years gone by I've used cheapo products like Carplan and Turtle Wax but now use Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel. I haven't used the more "detailer" type products mentioned above and so can't comment on them, but the Meguiars product is handy if you want a quality product that you can get off the shelf and also works a treat on exterior rubbers and plastics (LCR Splitter in particular). I tend to apply it to each tyre with a Meguiars foam applicator, then do the door bump strips, mudflaps and the splitter. Then, for that extra gloss look, give each tyre another once over. For me it works and lasts very well, and the bottle will last plenty of time. In my view a good quality, good value product. I hope that helps.

The heading for this Section reads:

General Car Chat

Cars, cars and more cars. Skoda, VAG or any other marque.

Now that to me has NOTHING to do with car cleaning, but anything about cars. Repeat ANYTHING. Just try looking at some of the current threads. Is a thread about 205's anything to do with car cleaning?

I have my opinion, you have yours. I can't see the point in spending hours of time and lots of money in cleaning a car. Mine gets put through a car wash, or taken to the local pressure wash bay, especially if I've spent that day driving my Yeti off-road. My car is just an object to get me to work and for me to undertake my hobbies. Result, I am not anal about keeping my car clean. more often than not it gets cleaned because the wife is moaning about it. Now if you can't accept that I'm like that, tough, because I can assure there are plenty of other people like me, and several in the Yeti section.

Now unless you are appointed as a moderator, or you find I have broken any of the Rules of this Forum, I suggest you accept that this forum is made up of numerous members, some of whom won't have the same opinions as you, but who are free to post what ever they so like, within those Rules.

Youre a belter!...LOL

If youre not interested..regardless of the place in forum.... Why bother?

So everyone who is serious about keeping their car clean is Anal??

You need to get a reality check

I really dont give a toss what car you drive or how clean it never is

Dont call me or us anal if I and others want to keep my and their cars as clean as possible

• 3 years later...

Best I've used is megs tyre gel. It's also great for bumper trims too.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

+1 on this, megs endurance tyre gel, works wonders on both tyres and trims :) apply with a kitchen sponge !

So an old thread, what's best nowadays, cos I'm not paying £30 for a tin of that autosmart. :thumbdown:

I have some Anglewax stuff at the mo I'm using. It's not bad stuff and is water based rather than oil/silicone so doesn't transfer onto your cleaning stuff when you next wash your car.

I'm currently using KKD Trim-X which is OK. No sling and a matt finish.

Have just ordered a sample of FinishKare #108AS - Top Kote Tire Dressing from CYC as it looks very hydrophobic and might even help Llanigraham keep his tyres free of mud for a while...

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sample-sizes/finishkare-108as-top-kote-tire-dressing/prod_593.html

• Like 1

I like the Meguiars 'Hot Shine' tyre spray!

Although, I do not spray it. I squirt a little into a container and then brush it on with a small fine paintbrush. Easy enough.

The Autoglym stuff for me, just gives that finished off clean car look when you give the tyres a wipe over.

Call me anal but I've even been known to remove the wheels to clean the bits you can't get at and whilst there jet wash under the wheel arches. It's called maintenance, after all it's got to last me a good few years.

So an old thread, what's best nowadays, cos I'm not paying £30 for a tin of that autosmart.  :thumbdown:

Whilst the £30 upfront may be a big chunk you need to look at the cost of the alternatives and how long they last.

A few fivers here and there and it doesn't take long to get to £30, especially when you consider you get 5 litres.

During the summer months I black four tyres on two cars most weekends. I've had this tin over three years now and it is still half full!

The issue for me with those applied with a foam pad is that your fingers get filthy. The autosmart is applied with a brush and takes seconds...

DSC06439.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Chris, no, very little 'fling'.

Applying it with the brush means you can spread it as thinly as required.

Once half of the tyre is done you can rub the brush over the bits already done to cover the bits that aren't to really thin it out.

I blather it on quite a lot and still don't suffer with it flying off.

One warning though is to avoid getting it on the drive. After you've used it a few times, especially if you are going over an older coating it gets quite black in colour (it's clear / light brown straight out of the can) which marks my tarmac drive way. It soon washes off the rain though or after a quick blast with the jet wash, especially with the snow foam running over it  :D