Check deadlock message?

Hi All,

Just taken delivery of my new Greenline 2 estate, which I am very happy with!

Although, there is one puzzle! Every time I turn the ignition off after driving the car, the message "check deadlock, check owners manual". I have read the full section on central locking, which makes perfect sense, other than the safe lock / check deadlock bit!

Any help much appreciated.

DG

Cheers Dannyg I have been meaning to look into this on here myself for over a year since I got mine. That means I am living proof it can't be that annoying after a while.

mine doesn't say that.

maybe its an aussie thing!!!

When was it built though?

Early MY11 cars don't display it, mine was built in November 2010 and doesn't show it, yet a December 2010 car I have seen does.

My 2012 vRS has it, I actually found a proper Skoda description of what it means (can't remember where from) and it basically said that it's for you to make sure you don't lock someone in the car as when it's locked the door handles don't open the doors.........must actually try it!!!

When was it built though?

Early MY11 cars don't display it, mine was built in November 2010 and doesn't show it, yet a December 2010 car I have seen does.

Mine was built Sept 2010.

Since urs doesn't show it either, that would comply with ur reasoning.

Following on from the Australian suggestion, it's a known modification on here that if the country is reset to Australia, you can get a big digital mph speed readout on maxiot. Does any member on here who has had this mod done still get he deadlock message?

Mike

Mike I have changed numerous cars now and as far as I can remember changing them to Australia made no difference at all to the check deadlock message.

Following on from the Australian suggestion, it's a known modification on here that if the country is reset to Australia, you can get a big digital mph speed readout on maxiot. Does any member on here who has had this mod done still get he deadlock message?

Mike

I still have the deadlock message Mike :yes:

Mike

Mike

Yep, I've still got it on mine too.

I sat in my Scout (MY2011 built, July 2010) and locked the car. I don't get the deadlock warning message, but the deadlocks do activate, preventing you from opening the doors from inside the car. I guess that sometime shortly after my car was built, a boffin at VAG decided it might be a good idea to warn people when locking their car, what the potential implications might be for the passengers they had left locked in the vehicle.

My other VAG car, a 2012 VW Polo, behaves in exactly the same way - except that you do get the deadlock warning message.

My 2012 vRS has it, I actually found a proper Skoda description of what it means (can't remember where from) and it basically said that it's for you to make sure you don't lock someone in the car as when it's locked the door handles don't open the doors.........must actually try it!!!

That is true, my wife and i were kidding about and she refused to get out of the car so i locked the doors with the remote, and no way could she unlock from inside the car.... I was very tempted to leave her there for half an hour lol

• Like 1

1st lock/press - car is deadlocked. u can't open from inside

2nd lock/press - car is locked. u can open from inside.

like simon said, some boffin at vag decided (end my11 models) it would be better to inform the drivers that they're going to deadlock the car.

in my astra, it was the other way around - the 2nd press would deadlock the car.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up new blackline vRS and was puzzled with message, thought about phoning garage but was confident someone else would have seen this on the site, so right I was. Thanks guys for putting things straight - i know what to do with the kids now if they mis-behave :giggle:

I find the message a bit over the top. As it has "!!!" at the end... Some more urgent messages like "Please refuel." are way more subtle.

Working on software UX/design on daily bases I'd say the messaging needs some work. The car is over polite at times and then the "******! You are leaving me out in the rain!!!" message appears... not nice :wonder:

I wonder if it's possible to code access the messages somehow.. Would be nice to change it to "That's all folks" or something similar :giggle:

I am impressed by sales people and their handovers, they dont explain anything.

One of our guys just gives them the handbook and says, Read that..lol

Well after-all that is what the Service Desk team are just waiting to answer for the customer - LOL :rofl: I've sold it and taken to money so my job is done.

Message could be better worded - it threw me to start with.

Paul

(of course not all sales staff have that attitude at hand-over)

• 4 months later...

Hi, I Just picked up our Superb 1 day ago and was wondering the same thing. I trolled the forums and found out a few things too.

If you lock the car with remote then press the lock button again within 2 sec it will disable to deadlock function, (not sure if this turns off the message) However if you do turn off the deadlock function and someone smashes a window to break into your car they can open the door with the inside handle. If you leave it function on then they can't open the doors with the inside handle, they can still climb in through the window if they want but it just makes their life that bit harder.

As a mate said to me once, locks and windows only keep the honest people out.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I saw it today on my MK2 Octavia estate. So I turned the key in the rear doors to enable it on those doors. Then turned on the car, then off, message still showing. I just don't want anything to be wrong with the car. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to ask about a few things, I will ask them and report back :)

I saw it today on my MK2 Octavia estate. So I turned the key in the rear doors to enable it on those doors. Then turned on the car, then off, message still showing. I just don't want anything to be wrong with the car. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to ask about a few things, I will ask them and report back :)

That's the child lock, the doors are deadlocked when you lock the car regardless of whether you have the child locks on or not (unless you give the lock button 2 presses)

Edited by SuperbTWM