Fuel / Oil Consumption (vRS ONLY)

Fuel / Oil Consumption  

67 members have voted

1. 1. I use 95 RON Fuel

2. 2. Do you suffer from or believe you suffer from HIGH Oil Consumption

Depends on your definition of high consumption. Initially I was using 1lt every 2000 miles or so. Now it's a lot less, probably half that which I think is fine. Haven't really measured exactly how much it's using. I'm checking today anyway

Depends on your definition of high consumption. Initially I was using 1lt every 2000 miles or so. Now it's a lot less, probably half that which I think is fine. Haven't really measured exactly how much it's using. I'm checking today anyway

Sorry missed that...

High is based on Skoda figures of usage (not got car so can't check to confirm), think it was 400 ml per 1000 miles

I thought about it yesterday but wanted to make one with 3-4 options that would really clarify what consumptions we are talking about. For example:

0-200 ml/1000km

200-400ml/1000km

400-600 ml/1000km

600-800 ml/1000km

1L+/1000km

etc.

PS. Aaaah its a No on the 1st one not a yes! Never put anything below 98ron....

PS.2 Corrected it!

Edited by newbie69

Used Asda, Tesco, Shell, Esso, Jet minimum 95 Ron during the winter,

,& Shell V power & best price Tesco Momentum 99 Ron since easter.

Now at £1.29.9 Sainsburys Super Unleaded even if it is 97 Ron minimum is giving the best MPG and i cant feel any lack of anything up to speeds of 'do not pass go'.

Did 52 mpg over 550 miles at the weekend & used not a drop of oil in 1000 miles since the last change..

(not that i care how good MPG i am getting, but it does give an idea to how well the car is running when it can be smooth and burning fuel efficiently & still go when you want to burn twice as much fuel))

IMO

'UK minimum 95 Ron' is perfectly fine for a vRS, (Well in Scotland & from Scottish refineries)

no idea about the rubbish they sell across in mainland Europe.

Scottish Winter minimum 95 Ron fuel & the Winter fuel generally from November till March might be better than stuff from some of your refineries down south, and some of the stuff that arrives by sea from abroad.

george

Edited by sk4gw

http://www.briskoda....fuelling-issues

My owners manual must read different from others quoted in this thread.

it reads on page 162,

'Your vehicle can only be operated with unleaded petrol which complies with standard EN 228.

The individual grades of pertol are distiguished by their octane number (RON). On the inside of the fuel filler flap,

you will find the information regarding the RON required buy your engine -> page 163'

(also says under CAUTION)

"If you use petrol with a lower octane number than the one prescribed, the engine can be severly damaged!"

(& it says)

! Note

"The handling, performance and life of your engine are determined to a significant extent by the quality of the fuel.

Do not use any petrol additives."

on Page 163,

'The correct grade for fuel for your vehicle are stated on a sticker affixed to the filler flap.

Further information on fuel -> page 163'

*At least the Fuel filler has it wee sticker,

you hope

"98/(95)"

'Skoda' obviously do not like to really write stuff in their manuals, like the full and complete story for each model or Engine.

others i have ever read for performance engines or requiring a Super Unleaded read clearly state beside the Engine Specs the Minimum Octane of fuel.

Edited by sk4gw

I was going to ask about oil consumption actually. My car's done 4500 miles and today I need to buy more bloody oil for it. I've already put 4 litres in it and now it's nearly dry again. I had heard that they were pretty thirsty for oil but I thought it would have stopped by now.

No & No here. Try and run it only on v power, only gets 95ron mixed in if I get stuck. Wouldn't class oil consumption as excessive, I reckon it's using shy of 200ml per thousand miles.

Gray

No & no it was run in by the book ( as it says in the ower's manual ) then it was drive it hard (i drive quite hard most of the time ) it has run on BP ultimate from new i've put in about 2 litres in 9964 miles it was service in may at 8565 miles and i've not put oil in it so far to date

thats very interesting Cloe... because the general form is if you wring its neck from new (like me) you get no oil usage (which I dont, not a drop between the 20-30k service...) and mine is of the engine code with the weak piston rings!!!

BUT if you baby it, it uses oil...

knowing you were gentle with yours, and it uses no oil, begs the question..... is it just "pot luck" whether you get a good engine or not!

thats very interesting Cloe... because the general form is if you wring its neck from new (like me) you get no oil usage (which I dont, not a drop between the 20-30k service...) and mine is of the engine code with the weak piston rings!!!

BUT if you baby it, it uses oil...

knowing you were gentle with yours, and it uses no oil, begs the question..... is it just "pot luck" whether you get a good engine or not!

As a potential future VRS owner who would dearly like to avoid the oil consumption problem,has it been stated from what date/engine number these modified rings were fitted?

I have spoken to mechanic who was repairing 1.4 TSI 180 hp engine under warranty due to high oil consumption. After he got the pistons out his findings were that the oil rings on pistons were stuck and did not perform at all (vRS was having 800+ grams per 1000 km). VW sends in a set of new piston rings (all of them), which should lead to normal operation and oil consumption. I guess that in some cases our cars may have oil rings stuck in all cylinders and this will lead to high oil consumption or in some of the cylinders leading to average oil consumption. Revised rings are definitely ok as to VW claim. This defect may come and go all by itself until the rings are replaced, because oil rings can be stuck in different ways.

indeed... mine has never used oil excessively, so I'm happy with my piston rings :)

and XK140... the engine codes are in the big oil thread where someone got their engine replaced.... you'd have to try to find the relavent post!

if you are buying new, it will have the modified rings.

To my understanding of how things work, using 95 or 98 fuel cannot effect oil consumption, it can effect performance and fuel consumption.

I put 95ron in mine but only because the other half uses the car too and she is too tight to spend the extra money on super. On the oil front the car has done 11600 mile from new and I've put 4litres of oil in the year I've owned the car

I had to top up yesterday so that's now 3 and a bit litres in 8500miles. It seems sporadic though but is getting less. Sometime it goes a while without using any but then when I checked it needed 400ml. Driving style tends to be fairly hard but have calmed down a lot lately just to save fuel and my new tyres

indeed... mine has never used oil excessively, so I'm happy with my piston rings :)

and XK140... the engine codes are in the big oil thread where someone got their engine replaced.... you'd have to try to find the relavent post!

if you are buying new, it will have the modified rings.

Thanks,I'll have a look at the "big oil thread".I won't be buying new but I'm not looking to buy until next year, but looking then for

a car no more than a year old,i.e. a 2012 car,and I assume the problem only exists on cars 2011 and before?

Edited by XK140

Always use Tesco Momentum 99 in mine.

Oil consumption 6 litres in 8,000 miles.

This is an August 2011 car.

I did go carefully for the first 1500 miles, restricting use of high rpm in an effort to run it in 'correctly'.

Average fuel consumption varies between 30 and 40 mpg depending on driving style.

Just over 10000km, topped up with about 1l total. Checked yesterday and the oil level is on the middle of the markings..

Mine is from oct 2011 and was brand new.

Mine was never "nursed" from new..I drove it reasonably quickly for the first 500miles and after that thrashed it if I felt like in the mood ..Oil consumption was approx 1L/1500miles up to about 10000 and now at 14.5k and it seems gradually to be using less.

I've never given fuel a thought but generally put tesco momentum in plus random top ups with 95ron