VRs fuel economy

Iv had my petrol vrs for 6 months now & absolutely love it. Just 1 problem & thats how much fuel it uses.

I never intended it for work use it was to be a weekend car but one thing has lead to another & now im using it everyday.

Being a surveyor, im travelling to various different places throughout the day, pretty much all local properties within a 10 mile radius.

Maxidot is ranging from low 20's to low 30's.

Question for you guys is would a remap give me better fuel consumption & performance aswell or is it either 1 or the other?

Does a remap that gives better mpg hamper existing performance?

My remap unleashed an extra 60 BHP + with a slight improvement in economy.

Every time I put my foot down my smile is so big I can't see the consumption read out! I get about 350 miles to a tank 95 Ron mixed driving.

The other alternative trade it in for new Skoda Citigo!

Iv had my petrol vrs for 6 months now & absolutely love it. Just 1 problem & thats how much fuel it uses.

I never intended it for work use it was to be a weekend car but one thing has lead to another & now im using it everyday.

Being a surveyor, im travelling to various different places throughout the day, pretty much all local properties within a 10 mile radius.

Maxidot is ranging from low 20's to low 30's.

Question for you guys is would a remap give me better fuel consumption & performance aswell or is it either 1 or the other?

Does a remap that gives better mpg hamper existing performance?

That kind of stop-start lots of short journey driving will kill any economy, no remap will sort that, you really need to be doing decent miles at steady speed to get anything better than you are.

My remap unleashed an extra 60 BHP + with a slight improvement in economy.

Every time I put my foot down my smile is so big I can't see the consumption read out! I get about 350 miles to a tank 95 Ron mixed driving.

The other alternative trade it in for new Skoda Citigo!

Lol! Im not complaining, i love the vrs just wondered if there were anything that might help improve the mpg.

If not i will just live with the fact which sounds pretty much like thats what il be doing.

The most I ever got out of my TFSi was about 34 and that was driving driving along the coast with lots of 50mph roads involved.

I did Dover to Scotland, bit of running around and back again and got 32mpg (actual, confirmed by brimming the tank) and that' was sitting at 80 with cruise on for most of he motorway driving.

I used the fuel trip app for a couple of months and it calculated that I got 24.76 mpg over 3500 miles so mid 20s wouldn't seem far off.

Threads like this frustrate me. I bought mine because it's a nice fast car to drive. It's a well known fact that fast petrol cars aren't that good on fuel economy.

• Like 1

I'll swap! You can have my 60mpg Diesel Octavia, and I'll have your petrol car and be 1,000,000 times happier.

I'm so bored of Diesel. Yes, nice and economic, but I don't need to do 25K+ a year anymore (lucky if I break 9K a year now)

I'm actually serious if you fancy a straight swap :rofl:

Edited by g_tee

Threads like this frustrate me. I bought mine because it's a nice fast car to drive. It's a well known fact that fast petrol cars aren't that good on fuel economy.

True, however when I had my MK1 VRS (which was remapped) I averaged 28/29 MPG from mainly short runs. The same runs in my MK2 TFSI average 25MPG. I was expecting the MK2 to be the same or slightly better than my mk1. It doesnt particularly bother me as I enjoy driving but I can see why the OP might ask the question.

You're stuffed really. You'll never get good mpg out of a 2.0T in town. You've been doing well to get anything above low 20s.

I drive on single carriageway 'A' roads and can regularly get 37+ from my TFSI but I'm driving in close to perfect conditions for good mpg (steady ~60, no stop starting).

True, however when I had my MK1 VRS (which was remapped) I averaged 28/29 MPG from mainly short runs. The same runs in my MK2 TFSI average 25MPG. I was expecting the MK2 to be the same or slightly better than my mk1. It doesnt particularly bother me as I enjoy driving but I can see why the OP might ask the question.

I know what the MPG is going to like, and checking it doesn't bother me. I just fill up when I need to. Why get yourself down by looking?! Ruins the fun in my opinion.

• Like 1

like said never bought it for mpg but it never fails to amaze me at times lol.

50 mile motorway run at 70mph on cruise can reguarly see 41+mpg, around town 35+mpg.

Use Shell V Power

• Like 1

I live in the sticks so we're always slowing down for villages and then speeding up (and from time to time playing on the lanes...). With that sort of driving we get around 30mpg. I drove from Aberystwyth > Liverpool > Hartlepool a few months back and used a full tank, but heck, it was absolutely amazing fun - no motorways used! :D

We drove to Lyon in France too. On the motorways at an average of about 85 - 90mph (no cruise) we returned 33mpg.

I am sometimes annoyed at how much money goes into the fuel tank, but I specifically chose the petrol over the diesel for smiles per mile, and just one drive is enough to forget about the costs!

like said never bought it for mpg but it never fails to amaze me at times lol.

50 mile motorway run at 70mph on cruise can reguarly see 41+mpg, around town 35+mpg.

Use Shell V Power

Or Tesco Momentum - or any fuel with 98 Ron, which is what the car was designed to use.

By the way, 97 Ron fuels (I believe unique to the UK, and originally launched to be the basis for lead replacement petrol) don't improve my economy at all. My car seems to need the whole 98 to get the imprived economy and performance (it's a 2008 TFSI).

If you drive hugging the bumper on the car in front, you will end up doing a lot of sharp stop / starts. try pulling back a couple of car lengths. Had a couple of lessons with an ex police driver who told me this and I managed to get about 5MPG more out of my car round town now just by doing this.

The downside with this, you always get some jumped up little tw*t that tries to squeeze in the gap.

Maps generally improve proformance as a side effect. Because you can get to your cruising speed faster and you have more power to maintain it without mashing the throttle, the MPG can increase as a result. Basically, maps can improve your MPG by making it easier/smoother to get to/maintain a speed but you may find changing your driving style slightly will also help just as much.

If it became a big issue on cost for fuel in time you could re-evaluate it then but for now you have a great car to be driving for work enjoy yourself.

OP didn't ask why you bought yours and stated his circumstances which were perfectly understandable and is only looking to see if there is anything sensible he can do to help get a few more mpg due to his unexpected increased usage. Why would that frustrate anyone? Also I am glad you told us that "its a well known fact that petrol cars are not that good on fuel economy" as being a well known fact we obviously wouldn't have known that....

Sorry for asking a question that 'frustrates' you!

Im well aware the fact turbo petrol cars arent good on fuel & as previously stated im not complaining!

I too bought mine because its a nice fast car to drive, i just never had the intention to use it for work, hence asking the question.

But thanks for everyone elses comments & views, much appreciated

My Petrol TSI goes tomorrow, as I can no longer justify driving a car that over 7000 miles has given me a combined MPG of 24, I have to get back into a car that will return 40 MPG so picking up a diesel VRS next week, OK, I know I wont get as good a smile, but I am hopeful that it will be a nice compromise of performace, car spec and the money going into the fuel tank, personally for me I have a set budget each month to spend on car finanace, I am changing and keeping in my budget so I will be making straight savings on fuel going in the car, hopefully my plan works!!! I could just no longer popping to the petrol station every other day!

Seems to be a definite variance in mpg then!

I've seen some here say that there is only a 10mpg difference between petrol and diesel but I'm currently seeing 48mpg average with my PD170 on mixed driving.

Of course, it's a shame that the TSi's are no good on LPG - my 850R is way thirstier than your cars but it isn't a problem when you are paying 70p a litre!

Seems to be a definite variance in mpg then!

I've seen some here say that there is only a 10mpg difference between petrol and diesel but I'm currently seeing 48mpg average with my PD170 on mixed driving.

Of course, it's a shame that the TSi's are no good on LPG - my 850R is way thirstier than your cars but it isn't a problem when you are paying 70p a litre!

Oi! Jezz

*waves*

NeilR