Disadvantages of an EGR delete?

I blanked off my EGR pipe a while ago now as it seemed like a really good thing to do and i know is popular with the pd engines

Now im getting told off a mechnacic that its actually a bad thing to do and is probs why im having problems now?

Any ideas diesel heads?

Disadvantages are...

Increased NOx emissions.

On cars with an EGR cooler, the engine takes slightly longer to warm up.

Can be noisier at idle.

Higher EGTs at idling/cruising.

Increased rate of combustion and thus local peak temperatures.

Loosing power at top end, excessive oil around turbo

Aparently its a really bad thing

Where does all the soot go once youve blanked EGR pipe off?

At the top end (WOT), the EGR is essentially off.

When the EGR is off/blanked any soot continues down the exhaust.

An EGR on a diesel actually increases soot production. It can also increase oil acidity which is detrimental to engine (and specifically turbo bearing) longevity.

What a nonesense. Having the exact same gases the engine produces anyway sent out the back instead of back into the engine. OIL ACIDITY? really? clean air in dirty air out, how the hell can that be bad?? Oil around turbo - oil is on other side and weeps through a little anyway.

NOW nox gases......... YES worse, so.... dont get your mot done in japan, stay here

Edited by Lofty79
  • Like 1

lets be honest why the hell would a manufacturer produce a part of the engine that would deliberately shorten its life...

and if its shortening the life well i must have the best engine in the world beacuse i have had an EGR fully functioning alongside a perfectly well performing engine for over 130,000 miles..

...why the hell would a manufacturer produce a part of the engine that would deliberately shorten its life...

Adding an EGR is the cheapest way to reduce NOx emissions (legal requirement) and engine life is only shortened by about 1%.

lets be honest why the hell would a manufacturer produce a part of the engine that would deliberately shorten its life...

and if its shortening the life well i must have the best engine in the world beacuse i have had an EGR fully functioning alongside a perfectly well performing engine for over 130,000 miles..

Because of the emissions race mate. Most manufa turers choose to have a car not running to potential to score points. 130k is not alot of miles

Adding an EGR is the cheapest way to reduce NOx emissions (legal requirement) and engine life is only shortened by about 1%.

I'll get an extra 200 miles great

You only planning getting 20,000 miles out of a PD engine then?????? :happy:

Haha no im near 200k just now, want another 200k. My calculations were askew. Shes not a pd, good ol direct from pump

been EGR'less for a long time - probably 5 to 6 years. Funnily enough, never had a gummed up turbo vanes problem. ;) Also I have a lovely clean inlet manifold tract. No cack at all which means reliable airflow 100% of the time. Look at my shocking build up of cack after 20,000+ miles without an EGR! :(

DSCN1563.jpg

• Like 2

I'm interested to see where the 1% figure comes from?

It came from research done by Mercedes approximately 20 years ago. It gave 1% as a worst case figure (which was lower than predicted). It also stated that expected improvements in oil chemistry would lead to future reductions.

here here, mine was like that, all it takes is a choke up pulling a hard lump into the engine. or stop it up completely. Never any sticky vanes????? I sense a heavy right foot

This is all it takes to put me off having an EGR. Yuck! That kind of blockage would lead to more than a 1% reduction in lifespan/performance in my opinion.

IMG_1854%20%281024x768%29.jpg

I don't understand how this happens? I'm running an egr and my intake tract looks like your other picture above, 92000 miles later