skodalads VRS

skodalad

Just now, Lofty said:

Trust me it's horrific!!

I can imagine, group chats have a tendency to be as such. Any advice with setting the stop screw and actuator as I really dont know??

11 minutes ago, skodalad said:

After reading your thread, yes haha

The advice I had was, remove the circlip on the actuator lever, then loosen the stop screw lock nut, wind the stop screw out, hold the vnt lever closed then wind the stop screw till it just touches the lever. Then turn it one and a half times, against the lever. Tighten the lock nut.

Then put the actuator back on the vnt lever, use a vacuum pump to see what vacuum it takes to close the vnt lever against the stop screw. It should be about 17 on the gauge. Adjust the length of the actuator to get it spot on. 

It may may still need adjusting on the car but it will be pretty damn close!

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

The advice I had was, remove the circling on the actuator lever, then loosen the stop screw lock but, wind the stop screw out, hold the vnt lever closed then wind the stop screw till it just touches the lever. Then turn it one and a half times, against the lever. Tighten the lock nut.

Then put the actuator back on the vnt lever, use a vacuum pump to see what vacuum it takes to close the vnt lever against the stop screw. It should be about 17 on the gauge. Adjust the length of the actuator to get it spot on. 

It may may still need adjusting on the car but it will be pretty damn close!

Thanks for that mate, really helpful. Ill see how i get on this weekend.

Got a big weekend session, trying to get the car started, problem solving, fault finding, got to get all the breaks bled, the coolant system bled (difficult as I dont have an expansion tank) then fit all the body panels back on, get the wheels fitting properly. Loads to do 

It'll make more sense when the turbos in front of you! 

For the vacuum pump/gauge I used a cheap Chinese one off eBay, about £15

My mate and his dad own their own garage, they have loads of expensive equipment. So hopefully he will have something in his arsenal to test it

I'm sure it'll all come together fine, nerve racking turning the key the first time though!!!!

Tell me about it mate, Should be okay fingers crossed, been down this road a few times now haha It always ends up with my wallet taking a kicking

1 hour ago, skodalad said:

I can see the light!!!

Thats cause your headlights are on :dull:

haha looking good now. Would the inlet pipe not be better connected to engine rather then bulkhead so it can move with it, also be a bit stealthier. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pip_vrs said:

Thats cause your headlights are on :dull:

haha looking good now. Would the inlet pipe not be better connected to engine rather then bulkhead so it can move with it, also be a bit stealthier. 

haha nice one.

I did think about this, But with my profidiesel intake it really dosent leave much room, also there isnt another space to slot the pipe through (heater hose, catch can pipe and a few other thing are in the way)

You really don't need to worry about heat soak into the TIP/inlet on a turbocharged car ;)

What does the turbo do to the air when it compresses it? :)

It gets heated massively,hence the intercooler after the turbo.So any mods/heat shields etc to try and cool the air from the air filter etc are a waste of time as the temp the turbo will heat the compressed air to is massive anyway.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, coskev said:

You really don't need to worry about heat soak into the TIP/inlet on a turbocharged car ;)

What does the turbo do to the air when it compresses it? :)

It gets heated massively,hence the intercooler after the turbo.So any mods/heat shields etc to try and cool the air from the air filter etc are a waste of time as the temp the turbo will heat the compressed air to is massive anyway.

You raise a very good point. That makes complete sense, I just spent too long cinvinceing myself it was a problem. I have a £15 roll of reflective silver tape coming so I'll use that anyway, but that does easy my mind some what! Thanks mate  

Have you hooked the vacuum gauge to the actuator? A know you said it was preset but be interesting to see at what vacuum it set too. May help others compare.

looking good as always.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2017 at 20:26, faboka vrs said:

Have you hooked the vacuum gauge to the actuator? A know you said it was preset but be interesting to see at what vacuum it set too. May help others compare.

looking good as always.

No not yet, My mate forgot to bring it up with him, but when I do I shall report back.

Thanks mate :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pip_vrs said:

Looks awesome mate.

does that bumper paint not just flake off seeing as its not a bumper.. or plastic and smooth bare metal haha

Thanks mate!

I'm sure this would of been an issue, But I did rough up the pipes prior to painting with a red scotch pad so the paint would get a good key, the finish seams very durable in all honesty, I can imagine due to it being bumper paint is has some elastic properties

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrevorB33 said:

Looks excellent bud, is your fuel filter mounted on the slam panel?

Cheers buddy, the fuel filter is mounted on the inside of the chassis leg on a homemade bracket

you can see it under the alternator in the picture where the top pipe is still chrome

Edited by skodalad
  • Like 1

Went for a start tonight and no joy, check pretty much everything until we came across the fact its getting no fuel.

So,

1) is the lift pump knackered?

2) Is it a blown fuse that control the fuel pump? if so which fuse? (I have looked at a fuse diagram and can't pinpoint which one it could be)

any other suggestions are welcome?