Latest phones?

devonutopia

Shall shortly be due an upgrade, having had faithful service from my Xperia X10 for nearly 18 months. Looks like I can get the Xperia U for free, but I am tempted by the S, which orange says is a £150 odd upgrade, but I would like to push them to give it to me free. ;)

Are there any good deals for the S which can help me with bargaining power?

Also, any other choices? No apple fanboi need comment. I have nothing apple so Iphone = excluded.

Looking at comparable upgrades to the £150 S, it seems the choices could be:-

Galaxy SII (£210)

Galaxy Note (£210)

Blackberry Bold 9900

Quite a few free upgrades too.

There's a "San Diego" from Orange

Nokia Lumia 800

Samsung Solid Xcover

LG Optimus L3

and more.

I have the Nokia Lumia 800 and the xperia arc S and I love them both so out of your list I would take the Nokia as it's a good looking phone with plenty of good features (but it is Windows not Android)

Edited by tempra007

I have a Galaxy SIII and it's fantastic. Mrs has Galaxy note -it's a nice toy but the battery life is just woeful. Unfortunately, no matter how good or well designed the Nokia Lumina phones are, Windows Phone is going to be changing dramatically making the older phones incompatible with the newer software, that is true of all the current Windows phones. Blackberry are looking at doing something similar with their new OS.

Personally I'd stick with Andoid in your situation. Go to Carphone Warehouse and ask if you can have a play with the demo handsets on your shortlist.

• Like 1

HTC One S

Vodafone 12 month contract

£36/month - no phone cost

300 min, 500mb data, unlimited texts

£70 cashback through Quidco

£100 cashback through Phones4u

£262 total over 1 year. Phone is worth far more than that. :)

Shall shortly be due an upgrade, having had faithful service from my Xperia X10 for nearly 18 months. Looks like I can get the Xperia U for free, but I am tempted by the S, which orange says is a £150 odd upgrade, but I would like to push them to give it to me free. ;)

Also, any other choices? No apple fanboi need comment. I have nothing apple so Iphone = excluded.

Galaxy SII (£210)

Galaxy Note (£210)

Blackberry Bold 9900

Nokia Lumia 800

Samsung Solid Xcover

LG Optimus L3

and more.

What about the Samsung Galaxy S3???

:yes:

Galaxy SII (£210)

Galaxy Note (£210)

Blackberry Bold 9900

Nokia Lumia 800

Samsung Solid Xcover

LG Optimus L3

and more.

You don't say what you're currently paying a month as this will have a factor in how much you pay for the upgrade. I was on a SIM-only contract at a tenner a month and was offered an upgrade to an S2 at no cost if I took out a 24-month contract at £15.50 a month tariff (plus 5 quid a month for 500Mb data bolt-on). I'd read suggestions that buying the handset outright and staying on the SIM-only contract could work out more cost effective, but the maths didn't add up for my particular situation.

If you want to stick with Android, I can highly recommend the S2 which even now blows a lot of the competition out of the water (which might be why Apple are so upset :D). My other half has the Note but I find it a bit too big - I like to be able to put my phone in my pocket :giggle:

Chris

• Like 1

Currently paying £20 a month for a bundle which includes home broadband, ironically not for where I live now, but where I used to live :D (but mate still there so I left it for him as BB provided here)

I left orange and enjoyed broadband for 4 years at £5 month.

If billed separately, then don't worry. The mobile and broadband systems aren't linked so they won't know if you don't mention it ;)

Buy the phone off contract & then do a rolling 30 day - Sim Only deal, I did that but over that time I have paid less than what I would have done with fixed contract. For me most of the time it's just web/email access that I require, I hardly make any calls other than to a very few regular numbers at work & home.

Phone - SGS2 £400 (at the time)

Sim Only deal - £15pcm

The SO deal is now after 18 months £20, but that's because of the increased web/email usage and unfortunately an increase in call minutes from 100 to 300 of which 90% goes unused!

If I use 30 mins out of the 300 I will be lucky & it has a premium rate bar on it too, I can get around that with http://www.saynoto0870.com/ or the saynoto0870 app.

I have a galaxy note and can't fault it. Since the most recent update the batteries not to bad now.

I recently bought genuine Samsung battery charger and an Anker battery with a bit more juice. Swap them over once ones low. The Anker i got an extra half days worth out of it with usual use.

Lovely to use and now note 2 is coming out surely some good deals to be had. my upgrades due soon and tbh, don't think i need to change as this does everything i need and would do with a phone.

I have a HTC Sensation on sim free and have £10 a month contract with vodafone, works out cheapest for me at least.

Though I'm in a similar boat wondering what phone to replace it with. I'm finding the Android experience tiresome now.

Only one problem with the Note as a phone.

285365.png

Haha yes!! As a birthday **** take I got an inflatable phone!still think the notes bigger!

But tbh after using it for a cppl of weeks its fine. Good for sat nav etc etc

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Administrators

I dropped & caught/smacked my phone to the floor about 9 months ago, smashed the screen up. Anyway it's a galaxy S1. I'm yet to find anything that inspires me to buy outright.

Thinking of an HTC, need to keep android only as I need a device for testing mobile apps (one day).

The new SIII is great, but it's just feeling too big.

giffgaff is a possible option I've been looking at, on a rolling contract with o2 at the moment.

Kind of leaning towards something simpler like a traditional nokia. At least on the outside, some sort of tethering would be nice given I carry a pad around too. If I'm desperate to do email; I've gotten quite used now to ignoring it, mainly as on a cracked screen it's less than easy.