Superb build Quality

I have only had my car for a couple of months now but have found that I do have one major problem with it.

Prior to owning the car my Saturday mornings used to be quite lazy. They consisted of getting up, a slow breakfast and an extended flick through the tv channels.

Now, however, I am up earlier than I really ought to be, eating a quick breakfast, changing my clothes and then I'm out on the front driveway trying not to make too much noise for my neighbours!

And this is all the fault of my nice, new, shiny Superb. It keeps on making me want to wash it!

Even my mocking 13 year old son "you're washing the car again!?" came out to help this weekend when I decided to give it a polish and wax. What's it doing to my family!?!

Clearly a fault with the car causing me to change my Saturday morning behaviour in this way? I never used to do it!

Do you think I can get my behaviour fixed using the 5 year extended warranty, or will it take the cold dark winter mornings to fix me?

P.S. Did I mention it was shiny inside and out? :happy:

• Like 3

I have only had my car for a couple of months now but have found that I do have one major problem with it.

Prior to owning the car my Saturday mornings used to be quite lazy. They consisted of getting up, a slow breakfast and an extended flick through the tv channels.

Now, however, I am up earlier than I really ought to be, eating a quick breakfast, changing my clothes and then I'm out on the front driveway trying not to make too much noise for my neighbours!

And this is all the fault of my nice, new, shiny Superb. It keeps on making me want to wash it!

Even my mocking 13 year old son "you're washing the car again!?" came out to help this weekend when I decided to give it a polish and wax. What's it doing to my family!?!

Clearly a fault with the car causing me to change my Saturday morning behaviour in this way? I never used to do it!

Do you think I can get my behaviour fixed using the 5 year extended warranty, or will it take the cold dark winter mornings to fix me?

P.S. Did I mention it was shiny inside and out? :happy:

Yeah, I'm the same with my 2 month old beauty. Spending a small fortune on internet cleaning materials!

I agree with the comments on here, as I stated my Skoda hasn't given me any really problems over the two years and I can't really fault it for value for money , economy and general driving (I would say it's a great cruiser up and down). My only

Yeah, I'm the same with my 2 month old beauty. Spending a small fortune on internet cleaning materials!

I get all my stuff from the ultimate finish, I have spent a fair bit there on things, the car shines up amazingly.

Yeah, it's about time the internet was cleaned.

On the other matter, the build quality on my 2009 Superb is better than on any other car I've owned. OK, they were Vauxhall, Ford, VW, Citroen, Renault, Peugeot, Austin Rover, Saab, but still...

I agree with the comments on here, as I stated my Skoda hasn't given me any really problems over the two years and I can't really fault it for value for money , economy and general driving (I would say it's a great cruiser up and down). My only

I get all my stuff from the ultimate finish, I have spent a fair bit there on things, the car shines up amazingly.

Hi, Sw1.

I'm waiting for my first order from Ultimate Finish. One thing that concerns me though...they say that someone has to be in to receive the order, but not what happens if you're not! Do you know by any chance?

Very few problems with my previous car (Octavia mk1 - 250K miles) and my Superb (40K miles). I had a lot more problems with my BMW and Land Rover (discovery) then the Skoda's.

On the superb I have had the following

• Headlamp replacement due to missing seal letting in water - There are 3 per headlight, large, round and made of rubber.
  • Indicator stalk replaced due to main beam indicator not coming on when the main beam was on.

And that's it.

Based of the very helpful feedback posts and information gained else where think i will stick with the superb for now pending the outcome of the lastest dealer fix!

In my opinion sounds like the superb is generally a solid vehicle, mechanical ok and reliable except for the following three build quality items:-

1. Water leaks from the pollen filter / air con appears to be common design or build quality fault item that seems to effect a lot of VAG models including Audi at some time regardless of age.
  2. Drivers seat - design, leather quality and hardness of foam and memory electrics.
  3. Columbus failure.

Lots of other general odd bits and the odd duff car i suppose you will always get from any brand but doesnt appear to be any other major build quality issues unless this post gathers more info over time to prove this wrong.

May be they will fix this items on the next face lift!!!!!

So for now will not park under trees to keep the air con pollen vents free, find some soft covers for the leather seats and hope the columbus unit keeps going.

I've had my car for just over a year and have covered 25K miles - the only problems are as follows:

• Occasional glovebox rattle (which stops when glovebox is opened then closed)
  • A knocking noise when the car pitches from the rear, such as when the nearside of the car goes over a raised mini roundabout or speed bump
  • Rattle from the seatbelt socket if the belt isn't fully tensioned

My previous Octavia has a few more issues, such a delaminating windscreen, dual mass flywheel and a leaky headlamp washer

Build quality is worse compared with a BMW 320D I had some years ago, but then my Superb estate cost me about £10K less than a compared beemer.

I've had mine for nearly 2 years now, and there have been no probems at all. I would have spent an exta 10k on the Audi A5 Sportback I had similarly specced to the Superb. I have owned many Audis in the past and am happy with this car.

I think it is well made but there have been some compromises on quality of carpets and seat leather, but as regards build quality it is fine. It is still as tight and rattle free as the day I bought it, although having said that it has only done 12k miles - but my MINI Countryman has even fewer miles on it but as already developed rattles, and some of its interior fittings seem low rent compared to the Superb - yet it cost 7k more than the Skoda.

I wonder if the newer cars are now being built with inferior quality components as demand has increased?

I thinks the point being made by original poster is that your "too many" isn't reflected by the responses on here. Online forums naturally attract a higher proportion of owners that have issues as they search out forums to try and find solutions, problems behind symptoms and other owners who have had similar issues. Yet given this neither you or topic starter are getting a flood of responses with similar issues.

So to answer the original question regarding build quality of recent MY's, going by responses so far, there doesn't seem to be a widespread issue. There's no doubt that you and Superb-ki (especially with 1st car) have experienced issues, but going by responses to this thread and history of forum posts the Superb does not appear to have major reliability or build quality issues.

This is just my personal opinion based on a neutral look at the facts.

Cheers

Steve

True, theres hasnt been a lot of post regarding issues. Still, as I wrote before, my friend has had a LOT of problems and the company next door that returned 4 Superbs after just two weeks, is that just coincidence? That people I "know" got this problems. What´s the odds that so many in my vicinity would have these problems?

Still, many here seems to have a problemfree ownership and that sounds good. But even my mechanic at Skoda says that there´s more problems with the Superbs than the Passats. But maybe there are quite few with problems after all?

Im afraid that Skoda speeds up the production and loses quality. Here in Sweden you can get a Superb in about two months...if you want a Passat its about 6 months. The demand after VWs is certainly higher but I know that VWs gets an extra quality check when it arrives in Sweden.

Edited by Dj Mastergrind

Do not understand this topic ?

Complain and Buying

Skoda is alternative for VW just green label skoda on the front

Any problems with the car can be read as VW

Do not understand people driving audi then buying skodas and thinning it is audi ?

I have paid for my Superb 60 % price of the Passat So I do not complain as I have saved the 40 % money buying skoda and happiness comes when we ordering same parts as VW just my VW with green label

Do not understand this topic ?

Complain and Buying

Skoda is alternative for VW just green label skoda on the front

Any problems with the car can be read as VW

Do not understand people driving audi then buying skodas and thinning it is audi ?

I have paid for my Superb 60 % price of the Passat So I do not complain as I have saved the 40 % money buying skoda and happiness comes when we ordering same parts as VW just my VW with green label

Let me explain. I rent a flat. Very cheap. 25% cheaper than comparable flats on the market. But my gas boiler doesn't work properly and I've already made like 50 phone calls to managing agency. But this is absolutely fine, as I pay 25% less than others. I can't complain about no heating and hot water and need to buy another pair of socks .

I strongly disagree. There may be compromises on quality of materials used but vehicle’s reliability should be top-notch regardless of the manufacturer. I paid for the device that I use to get me from point A to point B. If it fails to do so, it simply is not fit for the purpose.

I do understand things occasionally can go wrong but what I gather from this thread some of Skoda owners have already lost a lot of time and nerves.

I hope I’ll be happy with my purchase, I honestly hope so...

Edited by lmb

I had my superb two and half years it was a 59 plate only problem i had was the flywheel it went through three in the space of 9000 mls other than that not a prob and mine was a taxi sold it now i ve got a octy vrs its a taxi had it six months only prob was a/c so far so good.

Don't let this put you off picking up your car, most have been trouble free, every model of car will have issues, some people will unfortunately some get lemons.

I've had the odd niggle but nothing major compared to my last bmer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Don´t be nervous about this thread. There is ALWAYS negative people around complaining about everything. My suggestion for the starter of this topic must be to sell the car and get on. You will NEVER be satisfied and will just find new "errors" all the time no matter what Skoda/dealer is doing.

My Superb Combi Greenline is now 1½ years old and has covered 30.000 km. It has´nt missed a beat, and it still makes me smile every time I drive it.

Well, all this makes for a bit of shocking reading...

I have had my Superb Estate (SE 2.0 Diesel) for just over a year now and have had no issues apart from a slightly annoying rattle that I can't seem to pin down (it moves!), other than that it shifts (Auto 170bhp) like a rocket in Sports mode, the build and finish is damn good, loads of space for everybody - SD card tends to jump tracks but it may be down to the card as it only happens on one of my cards - the other 2 are fine.

Stuff in the glovebox tends to rattle if you are not careful so thinking of lining it with foam to deaden the rattle, other than that I am very happy with it - guess I must have got a good un' from what I have been reading here...

Let me explain. I rent a flat. Very cheap. 25% cheaper than comparable flats on the market. But my gas boiler doesn't work properly and I've already made like 50 phone calls to managing agency. But this is absolutely fine, as I pay 25% less than others. I can't complain about no heating and hot water and need to buy another pair of socks .

I strongly disagree. There may be compromises on quality of materials used but vehicle’s reliability should be top-notch regardless of the manufacturer. I paid for the device that I use to get me from point A to point B. If it fails to do so, it simply is not fit for the purpose.

I do understand things occasionally can go wrong but what I gather from this thread some of Skoda owners have already lost a lot of time and nerves.

I hope I’ll be happy with my purchase, I honestly hope so...

I wouldn't stress out mate. Given my experiences with cars over the last 30+ years the Superb is a damn good vehicle, excellent value for money and very reliable. I have had a couple of bummers but the rest have been great. They are machines, machines do break down, some more than most. I have been a member of a number of internet forums and I joined just so I could solve a particular problem I had. You will always see more negativity on these forums for that very reason...people are trying to solve problems! I would suggest the sample size of the members on this forum to the total Superb owners out there is very small indeed. Just be happy with the fact that the majority of the members are here to help you should you have a problem at some point.

If you believed and followed what you read in the media each day then you would probably just stay at home; you wouldn't need a car; then again if you stayed at home the chemicals floating around in your house would probably kill you anyway (if you believed what the media put out there everyday).

Anyway, end of rant and just my 2 cents!

People always moan on web forums if there is a problem with something they have purchased, cars owners the worst for this. Its disproportionate compared to the number of happy bods who don't seek out web forums to say they have had no problems with product X.

I've never visited an Apple forum to say how lovely my iMac/iPad/iPhone is but I would no doubt visit if I had an issue. Same with my Panasonic telly, Sky box etc etc.

For every 1 person moaning about their car there will be 1000 or more people who are totally satisfied with their cars.

My 2010 Superb has done 70,000 miles now, always driven hard, always full with heavy tools and equipment and a set of triple ladders on the roof. Its been completely fine. I'm even contemplating chopping in SWMBO's Yeti for a 3.6 Combi (she does naff all miles a year and it'll be a nice toy for me!) I'm that happy with the 3T Superb. When my CR170 work hack wears out, i'll be straight off to the dealers to order one with all the toys on - hopefully by then the BiTDI will be available.

I had a Nissan Primera way back in 2002. Nissan was then a byword for reliability. Mine was the most unreliable piece of crap I've ever driven - and i've driven some real **** heaps over the years.

Almost 4 years and 130.000 km with a Superb. Only two failures, one minor and the other major:

- the minor or stupid one is the filler cap door did not open sometimes some months ago, I usually had to make some attemps to open it. One day I forced it and never failed again. Problem solved.

- the major one was the DSG-7, the entire gearbox was replaced with 100.000 km. That's a well known problem in VAG, and durability and reliability of DSG-7 are not good despite being used on Skoda, Audi, VW or Seat. So my next car will be DSG-6.

Appart from that, the car is absolutely great: spacious, quiet, powerful and comfortable.

My company is currently offering the Volvo XC60 to the employees. Instead of choosing a 136 CV manual Volvo farmer car with a horrendous cloth upholstery and and ridicolously poor equipment, I have just ordered a Superb Combi TDI 170 DSG Exclusive fully loaded for the next 4 years; and the monthly cost is 115 euros less for the Skoda.

After 20 years with company cars and after Nissan, Saab, Seat, Audi, Volvo and Skoda...

... it's the first time I repeat a car. I think this means something :happy:

¿Problems with my current car? Fixed with the next:

DSG-7 reliability > go for DSG-6

I would prefer leather > choose Exclusive

I would like a bigger boot > choose Combi

The rest of the car is just perfect for me :love: