SuperSkoda lower grill winter cover

The Plumber

Resurrecting this thread because - have you noticed? - the evenings are drawing in!  Which means a) leaves etc in the front scoop, B) more grit and stones aimed at the rads and c) colder running conditions. 

The group buy of the Russian grille was scuppered by shipping costs, as I remember.  (The Hood, who was the pioneer with this model, seems to have drifted away, although I think one other member did get hold of one.)  Wakev and possibly one or two more fitted the Superskoda version (kick me if I'm wrong) and there was some business for the Heko, who make the window thingies. 

Would anyone care to update us with what they have and how they've worked?  I'm certainly going to go into the winter with some protection.

I fitted the blank cover, except for two holes for the exterior temperature sensor, in the winter and left it on. I had a stone wedged in the air-con heat exchanger, which made me put the lower cover on. I use gravel roads more than most possibly, so I'm keen to minimise potential damage.

This July was pretty warm, and on occasions the oil temperature got to + 50*C after one mile from cold. However, it did not get hotter than normal, even in extreme heat and traffic/motorway.

Anyway, today I bought some mesh to fit behind the top and bottom grilles now I know how to remove the front bumper :giggle:

Just need to get some Sikaflex/Tigerseal stuff and a free day

Last winter I used only the Heko lower grill cover. http://www.e-heko.com/en/Marka_Model/SKODA_YETI/4f1517ff41bae.html

No hole for temp sensor.

In May, I installed the aluminium mesh behind both upper and lower grill. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-BLACK-MESH-BIG-KAMEI-GRILL-BUMPER-AUDI-A4-A6-/110539599947?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19bcac704b

I was looking into this the other day as The Hood mentioned it to me on another forum.

Post #256 of this thread has his comprehensive instructions on how to order from Russia and I may go down this route myself.

I have acquired one of the lower grille covers, ready for the winter. Where is the temperature sensor, and is it solely for the dashboard display or does something else in the engine need that temperature info as well? In other words, is it safe to leave it as it is without cutting holes in the cover?

Chris

I made my own....and a few others followed

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/272262-diy-lower-grille/

I leave it on all the time....no ill effects

Thanks for the information in your description, Black aluminium mesh and trim edge now purchased, I think I will simply use four black cable ties to attach though as they will be camouflaged by the mesh.