SuperSkoda lower grill winter cover

The Plumber

know this has been discussed in the dim and distant past but has anyone actually fitted one :wonder:

http://www.superskod...ont-bumper-KI-R

Not normally an advocate of such things, however as some may remember, my SM started having excessive active regenerations of the DPF last winter. Noticed recently as the cold has begun to descend on us again, then so the DPF is becoming increasingly active once more. Beginning to :wonder: if for some reason my Yeti is getting colder engine/exhaust wise than maybe it should, thus triggering active rather than passive regenerations and whether this cover might help by reducing the cold air entering the engine bay :wonder:

Thoughts positive or negative but good humoured ;) appreciated,

TP

My only word of warning with grill covers is that trying to manipulate the airflow through the engine bay is rarely a good thing.

Also doesn't the lower grill cool the A/C's condensor?

There have been other threads on grill covers from members in much colder climates trying to understand if fitting one allows the engine (and therefore the cabin heater) to warm up quicker. I can't remember the exact reason but it was mentioned that on modern cars it can often be a pointless exercise.

The DPF is located up behind the engine just in front of the bulk head, here it is sheilded from the vast majority of air flow and is best placed to allow it to warm up quickly and importantly stay warm for successful passive regens.

Airflow will have more of an affect on my old PD engined Octavia as it is located further away from the engine but I reckon on your Yeti the airflow won't have much of an affect.

It might be worth while blanking it off for a week and see if it does improve the active regens before shelling out on a proper grill cover?

Hi, I made my own out of some thin flexible plastic last winter and found it worked really well, I was doing a 8 mile journey to work and found the engine would not get any where near warm, oil temp would be at 70 degrees and regen would come out to play a lot. After fitting the cover which pops in and holds it's self in but is open at each end should the fans want to cut in there is some air flow I found the car warmed up much quicker the fuel economy went up to 42-43 mpg which was good on winter fuel. If I was going to go on a motoway run I would just pop it out,

The biggest improvement I found was in heavy snow fall when you couldn't get a good speed and your keeping the engine revs low I couldn't get the engine any where near hot because of the regen and fans would cut in at -14 C and cool some more.

Last winter was much better with the cover on and the addition of a set of winter paws on steels.

I have a 2L 4X4 on a 10 plate now done 30,000

know this has been discussed in the dim and distant past but has anyone actually fitted one :wonder:

http://www.superskod...ont-bumper-KI-R

Not normally an advocate of such things, however as some may remember, my SM started having excessive active regenerations of the DPF last winter. Noticed recently as the cold has begun to descend on us again, then so the DPF is becoming increasingly active once more. Beginning to :wonder: if for some reason my Yeti is getting colder engine/exhaust wise than maybe it should, thus triggering active rather than passive regenerations and whether this cover might help by reducing the cold air entering the engine bay :wonder:

Thoughts positive or negative but good humoured ;) appreciated,

TP

Yes I did. I wanted to speed the warm up and retain heat in slow moving traffic. I think it worked.

John

• 3 weeks later...

My reasons for wanting one is to stop the half-ton (slight exaggeration there) of leaves getting into the wotsit.

I tried the site mentioned strelka.ru but despite my Polish/Ukrainian descent I was unable to decipher the lingo. Also when I clicked on Skoda it came up with 4 items; none of them was this?

My reasons for wanting one is to stop the half-ton (slight exaggeration there) of leaves getting into the wotsit.

I tried the site mentioned strelka.ru but despite my Polish/Ukrainian descent I was unable to decipher the lingo. Also when I clicked on Skoda it came up with 4 items; none of them was this?

Can you post the full link please free die, as the one in your original post doesn't seem to work? :think:

@ The Hood: No help from me here I'm afraid.

@Macdemon: the link is

Still seems to paste the same whatever I write; so try youtube and search for strelka11.ru

Edited by freedie

I cannot claim credit, this was found by another person, here is a link to the website

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.strelka11.ru%2Fmarket%2Freshetki_radiatora%2F

Using that link I managed to find the Yeti "department" link below

http://translate.goo...LnDM1UiC4XOUpdQ

The grill is regarded as radiator protection, getting around the site is hard work, I have emailed them so it will be interesting to see if they reply. Perhaps someone else can find their way around the website. :coffee:

Hi White Yeti

Thanks for the response but the web address you gave was the same as the original but without translation into English, I also had a look at skodaforum.eu at the bottom of your post using a Dutch/English translation and it was very interesting.

I sent the people selling the grill an email in English and Russian (I hope the Russian was accurate and not rude) and got the reply below so it may be possible to get one mail order. :coffee:

Hello, Derek. We shall know in the post how much the delivery. We take money Western Union. We need your complete mailing address. We also need your name, surname and patronymic. We shall write you in a week how much the delivery and the parcel.

Hi White Yeti

Thanks for the response but the web address you gave was the same as the original but without translation into English, I also had a look at skodaforum.eu at the bottom of your post using a Dutch/English translation and it was very interesting.

I sent the people selling the grill an email in English and Russian (I hope the Russian was accurate and not rude) and got the reply below so it may be possible to get one mail order. :coffee:

Hello, Derek. We shall know in the post how much the delivery. We take money Western Union. We need your complete mailing address. We also need your name, surname and patronymic. We shall write you in a week how much the delivery and the parcel.

Well done for persevering. I want one as well - so keep us updated. Once again - well done!

Wonder if they will do a bulk order, as I can see that being quite useful?

Agreed, but where should they get posted to in the UK. Whoever gets them, would then have to ship onto everyone else, with the associated costs of postage, packing and trouble. I think "the Hood" has done enough already.

Not keen on the Western Union payment - bags of scamming history ......

+ 1

I have a colleague at work who has a knowledge of spoken Russian and I'll see how good his written understanding is. He may be able to help.

PS> Checked the price @ 1,700 Russian roubles that equates to c. £33.75 + P&P - not bad.