This DSG Thing?

Cumbria Steve

So to summarise the opinions.... DSG seems to work for some and not for others. Caveat emptor or whatever!

Yes.. as the OP for this thread and a Newbie to the Yeti and DSG I can see there are certainly some strong lines of thought re the whole gearbox issue.

I suspect the discussions could be never ending and there will always be two camps and their individual views.

It has helped me though and my decision is the DSG appears to be an excellent system thats well liked by those that have it and the future is without a doubt more and more cars on the road without something for your left foot to do, however for the time being I will stick to manual for the following reasons:

I don't mind changing gear at all, in fact I quite enjoy it

I can buy a higher spec with the saving on not buying DSG

I am a dinosaur and I still worry re repair costs if DSG becomes faulty..yes I know that's a neg view..but it's mine.

Thanks folks and I am enjoying the rest of the forum and learning valuable info before parting with my 'hard earned'

I can get the engine to about 1100-1200rpm max with both feet flat on the floor and having done all that I should do etc, turning off traction control into sport etc in the correct order.

That might be right, You are driving a diesel, and the revs for optimum launch might be different than for a small (albeit turbocharged) petrol engine. Have you in this situation tried releasing the brake while keeping the throttle floored and see what is happening next?

Not much..... :lol:

Engine eventually decides to have power to it and the takes off.

I find the fastest get away is to release the brake. Car moves forward slightly, bit like dumping clutch on manual. Then floor it.

This doesn't work in my Yeti either. It didn't work in my previous DSG Octavia either.

Except the DSG has "launch control" if you really want to start quickly: disable ESP, put gear selector in S, floor both throttle and brake at the same time. When the car runs smoothly at ~2500 RPM with both pedals fully pressed you are ready to go. Hold on to your hat and release the brake pedal :rock::rock:

Disclaimer: This works at least for a Roomster 1.2 TSI DSG, so I guess it should work with most of the other DSGs as well - at least the DSG7.

I've extensively driven friends Golf GTi DSG Edition 30 and Audi TT DSG's, (and showed both owners the launch control, I'm the resident geek at work). But each time I've been distinctly underwhelmed with the initial take up before it fires off. Much quicker to do it yourself if you need to get ahead of that caravan at the lights.... (Fifth Gear also was not impressed with the latest 911 launch control, an expensive option!)

But generally I really like the DSGs, don't let years of poor experience with 'slush convertor automatics' make you think the DSG is just another automatic (and don't confuse it with automated single clutch manuals like Smarts, Toyota MMT, early BMW paddle shifts etc,they are just jerky!).

If DSG was an option on the higher power cars, I would have got it.

You probably have a very valid point, when I tried the 1.2 it was a new demonstrator and had less than 50 miles on it..plus a very watchful salesman next to me.

Today with the 1.4 the younger salesmans first words were 'lets get out there and give it some wellie to show you how good it is'

So.. the comparisom was between two totally different drives and I suppose all I learnt really was.... don't but a demo car the young lad has been showing off.

Both my test drives were unaccompanied. :hi: So yes, I did exercise the right foot a bit. Another speculation is whether the engines are sensitive to the quality of petrol.

So to summarise the opinions.... DSG seems to work for some and not for others. Caveat emptor or whatever!

Exactly. You will either like DSG more than a manual and buy it or like it less than a manual and not buy it.

To make an informed decision, you need to hear from both camps, try it yourself and then make the call.

Edited by Kiwibacon

Ah the DSG.....This has been covered upteen times on upteen threads.......

It really depends. Does the OP want an automatic?

I woulkd say go drive one and see what YOU think, not what we think. I will never drive a manual car by choice now. I have only covered about 40,000 miles in my previous one and today racked up 28,000 in my Yeti. There is a thread in the Octavia section with several cars having done 100,000's of miles without any issues (taxi's mainly). And then there are people who have had issues with theirs with only a few miles.

What do YOU want.

:yes:

• 4 weeks later...

My Yeti is the first car I have ever owned with an automatic box (140 DSG) and I can honestly say it is so relaxing NOT having to continuously monitor speed/gear/accelleration factors and go through the hand on gear lever - clutch - move - clutch operation is great, just leaving the gearbox to do the right thing at the right time. It is effortless to drive (I also drive a '97 Defender 90!!) so 2,500 miles around France recently (local and autoroute) was a pleasure.

DSG for me!!

Jerry

I have driven a few DSG-equipped cars and in every instance have been totally and utterly put off by them. Now this was when they first started putting DSGs in cars and they were selling them as a performance alternative to a manual gearbox. I have driven:

- Audi A3 3.2 quattro S-Tronic

- VW Golf (IV) R32

- VW Golf (V) R32

- VW Golf (VI) GTi

All are 'performance' cars and in all cases the DSG ruined the cars for me. The biggest problem has been covered - the dithering into roundabouts and other ambiguous situations. I also found that in 'D' mode they would all get into as high a gear as possible as soon as possible, rendering the engine unresponsive if needed (contrary to IAM preaching). 'S' mode left the gearbox holding too low a gear for too long under 'normal' driving, so useless for quietly passing through a 30-limited town or village, as you scream through at 4,000 rpm.

On a spirited drive down a favourite back road I found that since the gearbox can not see what's coming, it could be in the wrong gear for a corner compared to what I would select, knowing how the corner exits. In manual mode you can deal with this yourself, which works OK, but then you have basically got a gearbox with manual internals, being manually controlled via an electronic intermediate.... why not just use a manual?!

More recently I have driven the current BMW M3 and M5 at the Nürburgring, on the F1 track and the Nordschleife. In manual mode this worked well, a bit like a very immersive PlayStation game (as an aside, I think I must be the only person who has done the real thing first, before trying it on the PS3!). When you are focussed intently on where the track is going, it is nice to have a responsive gearchange under your fingertips for last-instant changes of mind.

Back to the real world - where the DSG did work was either in a situation where gearchanges were not important (long journeys, open roads, motorways etc) and also in crawling traffic (although here the benefits are more about having no clutch, rather than DSG itself - a regular auto would be equally as beneficial). As someone said above too - the first second or two of launching is a bit vague and this is my other big issue - lack of clutch finesse. Yes, it's getting better, but it is no match for a finely tuned left foot connected to a mechanically sympathetic left brain.

With all this said, I remain hopeful that they will improve. I am looking to replace my B Class with a small, economical runabout and the VW Polo GTi is high on the list..... DSG is the only option and, despite my previous experiences, it has not put me off - before, I think the reality didn't match the over-hyped expectation but now I am very aware of what to expect.

All this is IMHO and is general commentary on the concept of DSG - I have not driven a DSG Yeti (although I see no reason why a DSG Yeti will magically overcome some of the perceived fundamental issues of the DSG concept).

Isn't debate and opinion fun?!

Edited by weasley
  • Like 4

A couple of random comment to weasley's post above;-

1. Is it possible to triple like a post.

2. Have you heard (this month's EVO) about BMW's new intelligent, sat-nav connected, automatic - it uses the sat-nav to 'read the road' to be in the right gear at the right time.

3. A 'Pedal-Box' is a useful gadget to sharpen throttle response.

4. Flappy paddle gearshifted autos, as you used on the 'ring, are great.

5. Polo GTI? What's wrong with a Fabia vRS (same mechanicals)?

Good post weasley!

Thing with the DSG is that it covers all situations.

D mode - relaxed cruising and normal every day town driving

S mode - for added response on B roads and hit-you-in -the-back acceleration for overtakes. You soon get the hang of not being too aggressive on the throttle so it doesn't scream up to the red line on all gears.

Tiptronic mode (wish I had paddles!!) for when you want some really spirited driving.

I reckon I spend 85% in D, 10% in S and 5% in tiptronic.

When I first got it, I was worried by the slow response when taking off but now find that a little anticipation of the gap helps. I also think that you quickly get used to instantaneous gearshifts and when it isn't quite so instantaneous you notice the lag (it really isn't the 1-2 seconds quoted - may feel like it but I bet it is no more than 0.5sec) - it still reacts quicker that I could when I arrive at a roundabout in 3rd expecting to stop, select 1st and enter a gap - then realise there is a gap there, so quick fumble for the right gear etc etc... After 23k miles I don't notice a lag any more - probably a combination of the gearbox getting slicker as it is run-in and me driving to the performance of the gearbox. Having driven both types, I think that the 7 speed dry clutch version is more responsive from a standing start than the 6 speed wet clutch version - may be down to the wet clutches dragging their feet a little.

One thing I have personally benefitted a great deal from is that I have learned much improved throttle control at low speeds. I had got into some bad clutch slipping habits that the DSG has forced out of me. Accurate throttle control is VERY important at low speeds with a DSG and mastering that has a great deal to do with conquering the take-off lag.

2. Have you heard (this month's EVO) about BMW's new intelligent, sat-nav connected, automatic - it uses the sat-nav to 'read the road' to be in the right gear at the right time.

Nice idea... hope it chooses the gear I would, otherwise it is wrong. ;)

4. Flappy paddle gearshifted autos, as you used on the 'ring, are great.

They may be, but I've never driven one. The current M3 and M5 use DCTs, not autos (SMG).

5. Polo GTI? What's wrong with a Fabia vRS (same mechanicals)?

Polo's quicker. ;). And immensely rarer.

^ and better looking. As has been said many many times, the DSG learns your driving style and I've no lag in mine. It can choose the wrong cog on a downhill, but the paddle soon sorts that out. I've also driven the new MB B Class with its 7 speed auto and diesel combo and whilst it's "only" a 1.8, it felt as quick as my Octy vRS which also runs on the black stuff.

Edited by Paul007

DSG is great.<br /><br />I rarely have a problem with being in the wrong gear in my DSG Yeti. The newer DSG software is soooooo much better than the previous generation Octavia DSG I had.<br /><br />No it is not perfect, but neither is my left leg when I have to use a clutch :lol:<br /><br />In my experience of being driven, 99% of people would have given me a smoother jerk free drive if they used a DSG instead of insisting on driving a manual, that they have no mechanical sympathy for. I hate being driven by people in a manual car.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by rockhopper
  • Like 1

In my experience of being driven, 99% of people would have given me a smoother jerk free drive if they used a DSG instead of insisting on driving a manual, that they have no mechanical sympathy for. I hate being driven by people in a manual car.

+1

re Weasley's comment on the Polo GTi,

he may have read that somewhere, maybe talking about .6 of a second difference 0- 60 & 3 mph difference flat out.

(that might be when VAG gave figures show them as being lighter than they now show them as.)

70 mph is the same speed what ever its done in while driving, as is every other speed.

Its all fine reading the theory of the thing.

£5000 more for a Polo might be why there might be less of them on the road.

(DVLA show it as about half as many on UK roads)

They look good, & will suit many people.

Mechanically no real difference other than 215/40/17 tyres on the Polo & 205/40/17 on the vRS

Cheaper road tax tho, somehow VAG came up with lower emission figures for the Polo & A1 (182 bhp)

george