Fabia Vrs Oil Fix

Since my last post In Nov I have now put in 2 litres of oil.  I have now put 2 litres in for a total of 2,007 miles, the majority of which are miles just driving to and from work daily.  Am I to assume that I'm going to have to be topping up my oil monthly then.  I now need to buy some more oil as I've now used the 2 the garage gave me when I bought the car.  It was Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III 5W-30 oil, is this still the best stuff to buy for the car and if so can anyone recommend the cheapest place to buy it from?

Thanks and George I look forward to hearing from you.

Skoda UK free of charge!!

Skoda UK free of charge!!

SUK told me it was up to the dealer whether or not I got the oil for free.  I have emailed them the problems I've been having though so see what happens next.  I've got it into the dealer for the oil test tomorrow but wont hold my breath on the outcome.

Where abouts in Wiltshire are you?  Anywhere near Chippenham?

Just got my Polo GTI back - the technician says the engine has about 3.5 litres of oil in now, I'll be monitoring it and will report back after a 1000 or so miles when it will have no doubt drunk the lot.  COME ON ENGINE NUMBER 4!

If anyone's interested, this is the reply I got back from Honest John when I told them about my 3rd engine swap and the Damn Scary Gearbox (I think they are mistaking the dry clutch DQ200 with the wet variety tho?):

Many thanks.

Well aware of this.

Recorded in the Polo and Fabia VRS entries in http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar

In fact the MD of Skoda UK told me that they are stopping production of this engine for this reason (same engine and drivetrain in the Fabia VRS).

VAG has had oil consumption problems for a long time.

But this one is far worse and arises from the complex induction system of the twincharger engine that leads to bore washout.

It is a fundamental flaw with these engines and incurable.

I think VAG is eventually going to have to make offers to buy all these cars back.

But, of course, VAG will resist this until legally compelled to.

Could not agree more about the DSG.

Already 2.6 million have been recalled worldwide to change the fluid in them because the synthetic fluid can crystallise, causing the Mechatronics to fuse and drive to be lost.

They bog down at junctions because of VAG's ridiculous insistance that you cannot engage D from N without pressing the footbrake. (This was in response to the claims of 'runaway' Audi automatics in the USA about 20 years ago.)

The added problem is that the brake light switch sends a message to the ECU to cut power because the car is under braking. But on release of the pedal this message can be delayed, so you lurch onto a roundabout on the fuel in the combustion chamber only to suffer a second or two of heart attack when the thing bogs down.

Rgds,

HJ

We're now locked in an inane legal battle with VW Financial Services (Mondial) to reject the car - they're trying to defame us by saying that I ran the car without oil, damaging the engine and causing the need for replacement?! 

It's amazing the lengths finance companies will go to wriggle - they don't mind lying, cheating and making false accusations.  Luckily for me VW customer care know otherwise and I've got the VW tech report that states categorically that the engine was replaced because of high oil consumption and not because I ran the car with the oil light on.  What did they expect me to do - call a tow truck when the light came on??!

SUK told me it was up to the dealer whether or not I got the oil for free.  I have emailed them the problems I've been having though so see what happens next.  I've got it into the dealer for the oil test tomorrow but wont hold my breath on the outcome.

Where abouts in Wiltshire are you?  Anywhere near Chippenham?

Near Calne

Where are you based?

Are you paying for the test?

I do know people that have been given free oil by Dealers .

So kick ass at the Dealer, by sending e-mail to Skoda UK (mention dealers reluctance to support) and copy to the Dealer .

Have you logged via e-mail your problem generally with Skoda UK so as to create a legal history file?

Hello everyone

I've seen so many threads about this particular issue that I don't have the heart to create yet another one.  I'd like to share my thoughts with you if I may.

My Fabia VRs is brand new, and for me the issue is prevention rather than cure.  In any case, it's a late 2013 model, so I am hoping that any mods will have been incorporated. In any case, I am considering taking the following approach to prevent any problems:

1. Allowing the engine to idle for a few seconds before shutting down (easy for me, as the length of time it takes me to get out of the car, open the gate, get back in and move it forward behind the gate is usually enough) to help the supercharger and turbo charger to cool down and lubricate the bearings.
  2. Half the intervals for oil and filter changes, with an intermediate oil and filter change between scheduled services.
  3. Use Shell V Power as it has a built in lubricant function (apparently).

Would this make any difference?

Dave

Hello everyone

I've seen so many threads about this particular issue that I don't have the heart to create yet another one.  I'd like to share my thoughts with you if I may.

My Fabia VRs is brand new, and for me the issue is prevention rather than cure.  In any case, it's a late 2013 model, so I am hoping that any mods will have been incorporated. In any case, I am considering taking the following approach to prevent any problems:

1. Allowing the engine to idle for a few seconds before shutting down (easy for me, as the length of time it takes me to get out of the car, open the gate, get back in and move it forward behind the gate is usually enough) to help the supercharger and turbo charger to cool down and lubricate the bearings.
  2. Half the intervals for oil and filter changes, with an intermediate oil and filter change between scheduled services.
  3. Use Shell V Power as it has a built in lubricant function (apparently).

Would this make any difference?

Dave

Await you next report with interest.

Replace oil with a good Malt may be.

• Like 1

I recommend Laphroaig Quarter Cask, possibly even a Caol Isla? I do like islay's though.

Only use San Pelegrino with the coolant whilst you're at it.

Or just give the damn thing back whilst you possibly still can - my early 2013 engine that is now scrap confirms whatever they're changing it isn't working...

• Like 1

Near Calne

Where are you based?

Are you paying for the test?

I do know people that have been given free oil by Dealers .

So kick ass at the Dealer, by sending e-mail to Skoda UK (mention dealers reluctance to support) and copy to the Dealer .

Have you logged via e-mail your problem generally with Skoda UK so as to create a legal history file?

I live in Chippenham near Morrisons, small world!

I emailed SUK today but spoke to them a couple of days ago on the phone.  I'm taking the car to the Skoda/VW dealer in Chippenham as it's closer than going back to Swindon, means I can walk and work from home.

I'll let you know how I get on.

ursus262,

It will probably make no difference. you have a CTHE engine so the revised engine.

2 CTHE have been replaced before they were even at the stage of getting a Oil and Filter changed at half the service interval. Shell V Power nitro has no more lubrication to short out a faulty engine with the wrong tolerances if you were unlucky enough to receive one of those.

98-99 ron works well and it is unlikely that Shell makes any difference for the 5 pence a litre more than Momentum 99. Overheating and Turbo or

Superchargers cooling down is not an issue, the water pump runs on and cools the engine well enough. Engines running hot or over hot has never been a problem.

People have pampered Twinchargers & they have failed,

and many more have thrashed them on almost every trip and suffered no problems. Even some never bother letting the oil get up to temperature and have had no issues. Not over filling with oil is something to be sure of.

george

• Like 1

I live in Chippenham near Morrisons, small world!

I emailed SUK today but spoke to them a couple of days ago on the phone.  I'm taking the car to the Skoda/VW dealer in Chippenham as it's closer than going back to Swindon, means I can walk and work from home.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Yeah, Do that please.

Document all issues with e-mail to Skoda Uk.

Mine was boarder line on a 2010 model.

Got years back date invoice paid for  , two oil consumption test paid for and finally 1 year added too my warranty. 

Then Px for an Octavia before the oil issue really hit the fan ,so managed a reasonable trade-in.

My partner still has her 11 plt with 38000 0n the clock minoe oil issue but she loves driving it ,as I did mine.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Another oil question, has anyone used the Asda branded premium oil in their Vrs, it's a good bit cheaper than the castrol edge I am using and it's hard to tell from looking at the label if it can be used

Why would you ever want to put asda oil in your vrs? You have a relatively high perferomance car and the difference in price of oils is peanuts compared to the cost of possible repairs later on in life if the oil is not up to standard, I would personally leave well alone and buy the best, look around online and you can get good deals for the castrol every now and again, when you see a deal on buy a couple of bottles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If the Asda Oil is of the correct spec and some is, VW 502 00, then why not, ?

Do you think it is made in some rubbish Oil Refinery to a cheap Formula?

(i read it is actually Comma Oil.)

http://commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/369

Castrol Edge is not the greatest oil since sliced bread.

Where does the Quantum Oil as used at Skoda Dealerships come from, ie manufactured,

is it Castrol?

and how does it compare to the Asda Oil of the same Spec?

• Like 1

Why would you ever want to put asda oil in your vrs? You have a relatively high perferomance car and the difference in price of oils is peanuts compared to the cost of possible repairs later on in life if the oil is not up to standard, I would personally leave well alone and buy the best, look around online and you can get good deals for the castrol every now and again, when you see a deal on buy a couple of DRUMS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edited that for you :)

• Like 1

:D

1200 miles on engine number 3 now - gonna check oil level tonight for ****s and giggles.  They put 4 or so litres in with the new engine so if the oil light comes on before 2000 miles I'm going back to dealer to ask for my usual consumption test. 1 litre per 600 miles is the standard so 4 litres should be 2400 miles, right?  

Pulling no punches now, I'm determined to get a 4th engine in by the time I give the bugger back (Sept '14) - that would mean they've spent more money keeping the car running than just scrapping the damn thing and buying us out.

If you are within warranty period and are not considering keeping it outside of warranty don't pussy foot around spending £££'s on decent oil.  As long as it's got the right corresponding codes on the bottle just wang it in.  

If you're out of warranty period just get rid, plenty of excellent little hatches outside of the VAG brands (i.e. without the TSI & compulsory DSG).

I'll be back when they bring in that 1.6 turbo with proper manual box.  Actually, by then I'll probably looking at a bleeding people carrier - unless I can get the snip without mrs mousebat finding out?  :doh:  :S

MB

• Like 2

The vrs won't have the oil in the system long enough for it to do any damage :D

I've said to friends that there's no need for oil changes in VRS's as it runs a constant "oil cycling system"

(mine's not too bad at all actually to be fair)

Edited by MattGreen
  • Like 3

Oil Cycling is all well and Good on Land Rovers and Brittish Motorcyles.

Twinchargers weak point other than the Obvious Engine Components not suitable for Minimum 180 ps,

& the Dip Stick, and Check Proceedure,

is the Oil Filter,

the oil might be good for 18,000 miles, but i would not run a Twincharger with the same Filter for more than 10,000 miles.

Does the twin charger come with wide band lambda sensor?

I've got a feeling in 7th cruising at and around the 3000rpm mark it could be running rich (i.e. motorway 80ish? when driver request torque is low/middling?).

When the Roots blower's ABV cuts in and it's clutch disengages around 3000rpm could that cause low MAP?  Dunno if that would cause a rich enough stoich to create bore wash etc?

I could probably find the maps that control this.  I'll have a look if anyone thinks it's plausible? just throwing it out there!

It has a Supercharger to 2,400,

then Supercharger on demand & Turbocharger to 3,500 rpm, then just turbo. *See page 13 of the link below.*

You had best look at the Remaps done by others.

but not touch the ECU consider the on going Warranty Work.

This is the Information and Spec on the Engine before it was used in the SEAT Ibiza, and the Lower Output. to 125 kW

The first CAVE 180ps engines required a change in the MAP to alter fueling.

The CTHE Engine has a different MAP from the CAVE engines.

The A1 185 ps, has the same engine, but different Ignition Coils and Plugs from the 180ps engines and a different MAP.

http://volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_359.pdf

PS, in 7th Cruising at around 3,000 rpm, & that equating to around 80-90 mph,

i would be surprised if running rich then.

Should run quite efficiently and economically really. more so just a little below 3,000 rpm.

3,500 rpm should be around 100 mph road speed.

Yes - not fiddling with this motor, it's contract hire through the business.   Motronic (read petrol!) isn't my thing anyway - there's too much to go wrong and too quickly.  Don't mind messing with EDC though, seems much more straight forward to me.

Very informative pdf tho - that's one for the collection. So because of the fancy exhaust manifold the engine is designed to run at lambda 1 in all modes - so it should run leaner and hotter than a traditional petrol engine?  This isn't a VNT turbo is it?

Encasing the supercharger in insulating foam seems bloody stupid though - don't think the SC12 supercharger on my old MR2 would last two minutes like that!

On the motorway I usually fluctuate between 75-90 - does this mean I'm constantly switching the 'charger' source back and forth?

Yes Supercharger coming in as load put on the engine, inclines and cross winds etc, why the Fuel can fluctuate so much with the Twincharger.

Sit at a nice 2,400-2,500 rpm cruising and what a difference that is, and for me that pretty much comes out at 75-80 mph, regardless of a full or empty car.

Just a sweet spot for the torque i think.

george

• Like 1

Just dropped the car at the dealers for the oil consumption test, he said he usually has the cars for a week rather than the day. If they had told me that when I booked it in I could have had a replacement car! He said it's not a common problem (burning oil) as all VAG cars do it, just rolled my eyes and told him to check this site out. He also checked the paperwork and told me I've got a CAVE engine, that's the old engine isn't it? My car was registered in Sep 12 so I thought it would have the CTHE engine. He asked me how I drove it (short/long journeys) and said it's not really a car for short journeys (I mainly do 15 miles a day to/from work with the occasional motorway trip thrown in).

Oh well, just the waiting game now. He said it should be done today and then I just have to do the required miles and then take it back.

The dealer shouldn't have the car for a week, it's down to you to do the oil consumption test??  Are they going to roll the miles back for the diagnostic time or compensate you at CAP rates? I thought the minimum mileage to get meaningful results from an oil consumption test is 660 miles? It shouldn't matter what type of journeys you do - maybe check the warranty t's and c's to be sure in your mind: http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

The daft thing is they do get paid for the warranty work, albeit at a franchise agreed rate (read -> cost price man hours!), where as with any other work they can charge a normal more profitable rate. If they do the test they could fanny around driving on the motorway at a constant 50mph, getting overtaken by HGV's, then hand it back after they've put a load of miles on and say, 'there's nothing wrong, now pay us for our wasted time at normal rate'!   

So if it's a small dealership that relies on lifting the leg of old dears, 'upselling' on routine services by finding minor faults and generally just being scum to turn a profit, you're buggered. My family have been working for the motor trade for over 30 years and in that time we've come to loathe the way it works and [some] of the people who run it.

Of course the brand managers don't want service staff spilling the beans about how many tsi engines come in for oil consumption, they fed me the same line until the 2nd engine started doing the same as the first.  The VW tech who swapped out each of my engines levelled with me whilst on a test drive about the damn scary gearbox and said every other week there is a car in for a consumption test or new clutch on the dq200.  Not much problems with the derv engines as far as I've seen though - I won't ever run a petrol car again anyway now unless I win the Euromillions and can afford to buy something seriously exciting.

MB

Edited by mousebat
  • Like 1

zom414,

who was the He,?  was he a Workshop Manager or a Senior Technician or the Service Desk Receptionist?

(Your cars build date must mean it was built before the CTHE engines were being fitted, late September into October.

You would think by that stage of the last CAVE Engines being delivered they would have the updated Oil Breather Valve they had been trying, on as standard and the ECU would have the Map they had been doing at Updates,

so no point doing again after October 2012)

They are just spouting a load of rubbish, some know the story and some just pick up bits and pieces or make it up as they go along.

There is one Fact from Skoda, VW, Audi & Seat, even if it is rubbish, and given for every engine.

Be that, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 Cylinders, Petrol or Diesel, cooking commuter or out and out sports car.

****"It is normal for the engine to consume oil. The oil may be as much as 0.5 1/1000 km depending on your style of driving and the conditions under which you operate your vehicle.The oil consumption may be slightly higher during the first 5,000 km."*****

Worth remembering that is what they publish, repeat it to any Skoda Employee or Skoda Dealership Employee that comes away with crap about they all do that.

If you drive a car normally like you bought it to be driven, UK National Speed limit type conditions,

& it uses too much oil,

Ask them to Sort the car and Make it Fit For Purpose and of Merchantable Quality. There is a Warranty.