Fabia Vrs Oil Fix

Took mine in today for the base engine to be changed, hopefully they'll get it done by Thursday evening (any idea on timescale for this job anyone?)

Then fingers crossed it's fixed, will update when I get it back and have checked oil level cold/hot and after some miles.

• Like 1

Please do the check on the Oil, it will be interesting to see how it shows as they hand it back over.

As well to take as long as they take, as long as they are getting on with it and doing a proper job.

Pay special attention to the cars Condition on collection.

Check the Wings and Bonnet. All over carefully really.

Point out right away anything you find wrong.

Then once you get driving and the cars going and you are all settled,

Check the A/C, Steering, etc, just be sure the car feels good and taken care with.

Enjoy it, but you are running the engine in again,

not too easy though, its not like a new car, with new brakes, suspension, gearbox etc.

george

• Like 1

It is a new replacement engine is it not?

So you are running it in.

Hopefully now giving it some when the oil is warmed up.

??

Where was the level showing as it left the garage with the new engine fitted?

Just top up to the correct level,

run it with the correct level for a few thousand miles then see if it uses oil or not when run in.

** Do not over fill, it should have 3.6 litres of oil in.**

george

new engine, filled to where should've been - admittedly I dont give it much welly but the distance I drive to work its only just got to temp. I know new engines can use oil, but I will be keeping a close watch

Had a call this morning to say my car 'won't be ready for collection tomorrow due to the job being bigger than first thought'.

I'm absolutely livid with them, I asked them to find out a rough timescale and if 2.5 days wasn't going to be enough I'll clear a week in my diary, they assured me it wouldn't be a problem, I'm fuming as it's my living, now have to cancel 12 hours of driving lessons thanks to their incompetence, Skoda UK are being very helpful though so hopefully I might get a couple of free services out of it.

If i were you and i did, ask for a replecement car while the car at the service... Skoda Turkey gave a car when my car in the service... i had the car about two weeks...:)

TeamPASAOGLU

They are muppets.

Only reason it can be bigger job than first thought is because they had no idea what the job was, or how to do the job,

or they never set the Techicians time aside to do the job.

Sorry about that.

george

Exactly George, this is my problem, I asked them to contact Skoda to find out details of what the job entailed, they assured me they had ordered everything they needed and more, they had 2 technicians available just in case etc

Today after they told me it wouldn't be ready, I suggested that if the car hadn't gone 'too far', maybe they could put it back together until a later date. Their reply was 'it's in pieces, why not come and see what we're up against for yourself?'

I held back from saying 'well if you'd f@&$ing well researched what you had to do before you started then you wouldn't be in this situation!'

As I said before, the person I'm dealing with at Skoda UK has been brilliant right through organising the consumption test, and also a couple of issues I had with a previous dealer before with my Monte, so I'm leaving it in his hands to deal with the dealer and get the job done.

I'll keep you posted!

• Like 1

I have booked mine in for "check for leaks" session before they start looking at oil measuring and the likes 

Dealer told me if the car passes the test and its burning oil in line with the manual (currently doing litre per 560 miles) there is a £130 + Vat fee, is this really appropriate ?

I may write to skoda UK

Thats them just trying to put you off.

If you know it uses oil, by checking correctly there can be no charge.

What is the Oil leak thing all about,

is this the Dealers idea, or something new from Skoda.?

Is there oil about someplace outside the engine?

The procedure is covered here with car after car,

and only one member here mentioned the Head Gone and oil leaks.

He spoke about Re-Calls etc but there are no RE-Calls, just the Breather Modification. (Delaying tactic)

george

I have booked mine in for "check for leaks" session before they start looking at oil measuring and the likes 

Dealer told me if the car passes the test and its burning oil in line with the manual (currently doing litre per 560 miles) there is a £130 + Vat fee, is this really appropriate ?

I may write to skoda UK

I was told there would be a charge if they found my car didn't burn too much oil, this charge would be for their labour and the oil used, hope this helps :-)

Hi all - to cut a long story short I have a CTHE vRS from new in Jan this year and have had to have an official oil consumption test.  It's failed (test was completed today) and is using 1L per 1000km.  The dealer is going to consult with Skoda but as it's the new type of engine what can they do in reality apart from change the engine?  I'm assuming that if they do this then they can't guarantee that the replacement engine won't be a oil thirsty guzzler?

• Like 3

I'm assuming that if they do this then they can't guarantee that the replacement engine won't be a oil thirsty guzzler?

That can't be guaranteed, but there have not been many reports from Briskoda owners who are on their second engine still having problems. Mine has required 1.5 litres of oil over the 5000 miles since replacement, which is acceptable but still not good. Ask Skoda UK to extent the warranty on your car by one year at their cost. Some of us have managed to get that as a goodwill gesture.

• Like 2

Hi all - to cut a long story short I have a CTHE vRS from new in Jan this year and have had to have an official oil consumption test.  It's failed (test was completed today) and is using 1L per 1000km.  The dealer is going to consult with Skoda but as it's the new type of engine what can they do in reality apart from change the engine?  I'm assuming that if they do this then they can't guarantee that the replacement engine won't be a oil thirsty guzzler?

Hi, mine is CTHE the same and it's in at the moment having a 'base engine', this is probably what you'll be offered. If you do, make sure your dealer knows the size of the job in hand and allows enough time to do it. Mine didn't research the timescale and has had my car 3 days already, maybe looking to middle of next week before I see it again apparently, they told me they thought they could turn it around in 2 days, not happy!

Good luck :-)

• Like 1

Hi, mine is CTHE the same and it's in at the moment having a 'base engine'

So what exactly is this?  Is it an engine change or modification?

Thanks for the tip though - let's hope whatever they do works!

My car should be home in half an hour!

I've checked for knocks and scratches and all seems ok, they've done a test run (not sure what time) and I checked the oil level (car slightly leaning to the left on their gravel car park) and it was half way up the hatched area.

I queried this and was told 'that's where it should be when warm', I've no idea how long it's been stood but informed them it was different when it went for the consumption check. I'm going to test drive tonight for a good while and check after 5 minutes on level in garage, then again in the morning when cold.

I asked about running in and was told that it's a 'complete new engine so treat it as you would a new car', all that remains are turbo etc from the original engine.

I asked about new engine number and told there wasn't one, if it is a 'complete' new engine, how come no new engine number please? I was under the impression a base engine was the (excuse my lack of technical knowledge) piston part, not the whole thing, why not just call it a replacement engine?

Anyways, another driving lesson to do and then get my baby back, I'll update tomorrow!

Thank you to everyone for any tips and advice given to me thus far, hugely appreciated and hopefully the end of the saga :-) 

• Like 1

Please, if not already done,

get them to write up the Service book with what has been Done, ie Replacement Engine Installed.

Mileage of car at time of the Engine replacement, 

&

since it has New Oil & Filter and 'is it on Variable Servicing'

(Have a check of the Service Indicator on the Maxidot to see its re-set).

** Are there new Spark Plugs installed but still running the original Air Filter?**

Air Filter should be fine, but New Spark Plugs should be installed.

Ask again what engine number is on the Engine Now,

have they Stamped it with the previous Number & does the number match the VIN Plate 

& the V5.

** Is it really a blank block and head with no ID??**

Easy enough for the Dealership,

they can run off the Invoices and photocopy for the parts received and fitted,

or you can just Email Skoda UK asking for the confirmation documentation.

Applies to new replacement engines not just Used Engines from another vehicle.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/changes-youll-need-to-update

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give

THESE GARAGES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PROFESSIONALS AND ACT PROFESSIONALLY.

If they do not know things why do they not find out, Customers put trust in them?

Have fun.

george

PS , Steering OK now on the Monte?

My car should be home in half an hour!

I've checked for knocks and scratches and all seems ok, they've done a test run (not sure what time) and I checked the oil level (car slightly leaning to the left on their gravel car park) and it was half way up the hatched area.

I queried this and was told 'that's where it should be when warm', I've no idea how long it's been stood but informed them it was different when it went for the consumption check. I'm going to test drive tonight for a good while and check after 5 minutes on level in garage, then again in the morning when cold.

I asked about running in and was told that it's a 'complete new engine so treat it as you would a new car', all that remains are turbo etc from the original engine.

I asked about new engine number and told there wasn't one, if it is a 'complete' new engine, how come no new engine number please? I was under the impression a base engine was the (excuse my lack of technical knowledge) piston part, not the whole thing, why not just call it a replacement engine?

Anyways, another driving lesson to do and then get my baby back, I'll update tomorrow!

Thank you to everyone for any tips and advice given to me thus far, hugely appreciated and hopefully the end of the saga :-) 

hope its all ok... I advise to wring its kneck when you can ;) Ijust checked mine at 6,500 miles and its half way between min/max, I have found that the level is so spurious that it needs to be lower before I will top up! dont overfill it ;)

• Like 1

Please, if not already done,

get them to write up the Service book with what has been Done, ie Replacement Engine Installed.

Mileage of car at time of the Engine replacement, 

&

since it has New Oil & Filter and 'is it on Variable Servicing'

(Have a check of the Service Indicator on the Maxidot to see its re-set).

** Are there new Spark Plugs installed but still running the original Air Filter?**

Air Filter should be fine, but New Spark Plugs should be installed.

Ask again what engine number is on the Engine Now,

have they Stamped it with the previous Number & does the number match the VIN Plate 

& the V5.

** Is it really a blank block and head with no ID??**

Easy enough for the Dealership,

they can run off the Invoices and photocopy for the parts received and fitted,

or you can just Email Skoda UK asking for the confirmation documentation.

Applies to new replacement engines not just Used Engines from another vehicle.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/changes-youll-need-to-update

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give

THESE GARAGES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PROFESSIONALS AND ACT PROFESSIONALLY.

If they do not know things why do they not find out, Customers put trust in them?

Have fun.

george

PS , Steering OK now on the Monte?

Thanks for the info George, I've just been out for an hour and half and all drives well, not rattles, bangs or crunches which is a relief! checked oil level after 5 minute rest on level in garage, it's 1/3 up the hatched area, I'll check cold in the morning.

There's no write up in the service book and I had no paperwork given to me (I didn't ask at the time as it was a flying visit), I'm compiling an email at the moment with everything you mentioned, I feel this way at least I'll get something I can print off and have 'in writing'.

Many thanks again, I'll keep you posted of any news.

• Like 1

Just checked oil level cold, it's just a few mm below the top of the hatched area. Started engine and turned off immediately (George) and it's about 1/3 up the hatched area. Also noticed this morning that there are a few damp patches in the engine bay, didn't notice yesterday, maybe just spillage when they topped up the coolant bottle, I've sprayed some engine cleaner around and washed down, will check at the end of the day or tomorrow and see if any fresh there.

• Like 1

Confirmed it'll be a new engine for me, although they don't have any in stock at the mo (wonder who blagged the last one eh?!).  All of the above is very useful - will make sure they get the service book written up and obtain all relevant paperwork.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

So I walk into the local Skoda dealer today to book in for a service, and as I do I hear the service bloke on the telephone, "Skoda Australia says a rate of half a litre per thousand kilometres is OK..."  :giggle:

Ironically, this dealership does a lot of the more expensive, low volume marques (such as Aston Martin, Ferrari, Jaguar and so on), so to enter at exactly the right time to hear this conversation is quite laughable. Either that or the same conversation crops up regularly.  :wonder:

• Like 1