Winter tyres.... do I need them

33q

It is the way you look at it.

In Germany most of the people drive their winters on an extra set of aluminum wheels (so do I, have two sets of BBS wheels. 19" for summer and 18" for winter).

In Holland though it is more a kind of a status symbol that you can afford (stupid word, it is your own safety!) winter wheels and show it by driving bland black steelies.....

If you go out in the cold and rain, you dont wear leather loafers but will mostly go out wearing boots. On snow you dont want to fall, so you will leave the shoes with leather soles at home and change them for grippier ones.

Same with the car. As the tyres are more and more performance tyres, due to the increasing performance of the cars AND the weight, they wont react as good as the good old 145 sr 12 tyres on an old Fiesta.

I need my car, so for me it is no question (besides that, living in Germany). But why having a car in front of the house and not being able to use it under extreme conditions? What if in case of an emergency?

• Like 2

Went into my local Skoda dealer to be told they could supply and fit fit winters on steels but this would invalidate my insurance as they were not type approved :wall:

A further question, it has been mentioned on here and other threads about using a 3 ton hydraulic jack: would a 1.25 ton version do?

I'm no expert on weights and jacks but a Yeti is over 1,300 kg so it is clearly over the limit (either metric or imperial).

I'm sure there is a tolerance/ safety margin built in but personally i wouldn't risk it given the downside could be catastrophic - for you and the car.

My X5 is 2 tonnes and I bought a 3 (US) ton jack which I'm comfortable with. For a Yeti I'd be looking for a minimum 2 ton capability.

You can get them for well under £100. Steel are cheaper, more stable but heavier. Aluminium lighter + easier to transport.

I am not expecting you guys to give me a definitive answer but advice and opinion is always welcome. I know there are loads of posts on this subject but ..............well no buts.....I just want to focus on the 'need' bit.

I have a 140 dsg....so 4x4. I am retired.......doing 600 miles a month in the winter. I can avoid going out in bad weather. I live in the East Midlands. I live only 1 mile of fairly flat roads to an A road and 2 miles of flat to a trunk road.

I have never had winter tyres. I have never been stuck (yet....famous last words). Even years ago with rear wheel drive.

I don't like steel wheels .....I'm not spending £20k on a new car that looks like a £12k car for 4 to 5 months of the year.

Do company car drivers get winter tyres? Any fleet managers and users views?

I don't mind the spend but £350 for alloys and £425 needs some justification.

Do your worst...............

thanks

I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that you bought the 4x4 for safety reasons. If so, then adding winter tyres is the next rational step to complement that extra capability you've already invested in.Until 4 weeks ago, I ran an Octy 1.8 4x4 and the couple of times in the 8 years that I owned the car when I was caught out in fresh snow, WITHOUT winter tyres on, rendered the 4x4 ability to be practically useless. It's true that I do live in a very rural and hilly area of northern England (1200 feet above sea level), and do have to drive to work each day along often poorly or none gritted country roads and clock up some 15,000 a year, so perhaps my circumstances are rather different than yours. However, there may be times when you simply cannot avoid having to drive in foul weather conditions (winter/cold weather tyres are not just for snow), perhaps in an emergency, when you will bless your decision to have opted for that extra safety factor.As you're aware, you can stick with the 17" alloys and order winter tyres to fit, or buy a new set of alloys for the cold months. Like some other formites, steels were not for me, despite their advantages (cost, claimed robustness, etc.) But the Octy alloys were fine after many years use and I just prefer the appearance of alloys (steels do have a certain cool utilitarian look though). As it happens (horrors I'm sounding like Jim'll Fix it!!!! Yikes) I had the Yeti shod with a new set of spectrum alloys and wintrac xtremes just this very day. Here are some pics. I do appreciate your dilemma, but for me it was a no-brainer. If you can afford it, go for it.

post-95686-0-69806000-1351796196_thumb.jpg

post-95686-0-44267200-1351796224_thumb.jpg

post-95686-0-80311700-1351796251_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ooopnorth
  • Like 3

There seems to be a "crossover" between this topic and the "VW Caddy wheel trims" topic. Opinion appears divided between

1) No winter tyres 2) Winter tyres on steel rims and 3) Winter tyres on alloys (either spare ones or original).

From my perspective, I think wheels are the most important visual feature of any car. Why anyone would want to spoil the aesthetics of their vehicle with steel rims is beyond me. I can see the importance of winter tyres for some people, but why not buy a cheap set of alloys instead of steel rims - at least then your car looks decent all year. If looks are not important, then why has there been so much chatter on this forum about the virtues of what is the best looking alloys for the Yeti. No doubt this debate will continue to run and run!

Which do you think looks better?......and only £44 difference (plus if you want trims on your steelies - no difference!)

http://www.wheelbase...oy_Wheels__2366

http://compare.ebay....type=pla&crdt=0

Edited by Truthseeker

Went into my local Skoda dealer today to have my Skoda steel wheels with Continental winter tyres fitted.

Complete with RIF wheel trims,and they're storing my summer alloys for me till next March'ish.

All for £ 535.(Got a car wash and quick valet thrown in.) :)

I think that there is not a lot of point in going for a 4x4 and then not having winter tyres.

that depends on why you want a 4x4 surely?

Having a 4x4 is not the wonderful cure-all in winter that people think it is. Yes you have more traction up hill, by going down or when braking it doesn't actually matter how many wheels are driven, as gravity is the stronger force. as many have said here in the past, a 4x2 on winter tyres may often get further than a 4x4 not on winter tyres.

• Like 2

Good point on the 2wd on snow tyres,

& it leads on to, that while driving the 4x4 Yeti on 4 snow tyres, that if the 2 front tyres have good traction, no loss of traction,

no loss of grip or spinning wheel,

you are not using 4 wheel drive anyway you are driving with 2 wheel drive..

Win Win.

Does that mean that a Yeti 4x4 with Snow socks on the front tyres as a temp measure and they are working well,

you will just go on its way in 2 wheel drive?

george

Glad I put my cold weather wheels & tyres on yesterday (205/60/R16) Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip. It's snowing!! We are 1400' up...

Peter

Peter will you keep it up there please!!

It's just ****isting down here in town!!

Well with it.

Put my winter wheels and tyres on today took about 40 min, though not including cleaning the summer ones!

Went to change the Golfs and couldn't get the locking bolts off the front think they have been over tightened and I've damaged the key trying to remove them!! Dealer wants £52.99 for full kit as they don't sell the key on its own.

Edited by servicepoint

For the work I do, driving around in a £15k car (the basic one is approaching that, nowhere near £12k) is beneficial. I have to park in in the nicest places on some of London's best council estates!

My car doesn't even advertise that it is a 4x4 (apart from the white glow in the dark www.surrey4x4response.org sticker on the back :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some excellent feedback. Many thanks to all of you.

I'm leaning towards MSW Type 22 . I'd love to know where you can get Contis for £300

I could do the deed for £650 in that case

I bought a set of steels and Nankang SV-2s for winter use, having endured the first winter with TIBET I on standard issue footwear. That year was very snowy and the Yeti was remarkable but...

Living next to and driving over and around the Chiltern hills means things can get interesting during winter. I found the winters give a tremendous feeling of confidence on cold, wet, icey and snowy roads - the sub 7 degC temperature advantage on winters is genuine. Normally I fit them from the beginning of December through to the end of March.

I don't like the Rif trims on the steels but should the worst happen they are cheaper to replace than an original alloy. Keeping to genuine Skoda steels keeps everything legit with the insurance company. And you can't see the wheels when driving...

I went for the Nankangs because when I wanted the winters most other types were out of stock. Googling the type came up with a quote from someone who proclaimed to have the worst car invented for use in snow - a BMW 330d Coupe auto! Said it drove perfectly with the Nakangs. £60 a corner for the Yeti. Remember, the tyre cost is not direct as you're not wearing out the standard tyres when they're tucked up indoors.

At the end of the day it has to come down to location, use and likely weather conditions to be encountered. These wheels and tyres are fitted for function not aesthetics. Oh, and the ride and handling is disgustingly soft and rolly on those 16" rims.... :giggle:

• Like 1

Itemizing my bill from Hortons as best I can :

4 x Continental TS830 205 x 55 x 16 91H winter tyres £344.

4 x Skoda 7 x 16 steel wheels £148.

Included somewhere in those costs are 4 x RIF wheel trims.

Fitting and " Tyre Hotel " for my summer wheels £42.

That's inclusive of VAT.

Itemizing my bill from Hortons as best I can :

4 x Continental TS830 205 x 55 x 16 91H winter tyres £344.

4 x Skoda 7 x 16 steel wheels £148.

Included somewhere in those costs are 4 x RIF wheel trims.

Fitting and " Tyre Hotel " for my summer wheels £42.

That's inclusive of VAT.

Thanks, I will try my dealer.

Interestingly some of you are on 205 55s other 60s, some on 215 section. More googling needed or TP to the rescue....hint!

The cost of winter tyres is less relevant if you keep your car long enough to need a new set of tyres. Providing you have the cash then really they don't cost any more in the long term because you are only using each set of tyres for half the year.

The cost of winter tyres is less relevant if you keep your car long enough to need a new set of tyres. Providing you have the cash then really they don't cost any more in the long term because you are only using each set of tyres for half the year.

I fully agree .... good point

Anyone else had any insurance issues. I remember a couple of winters ago it was raised in the news but I thought the insurance companies had seen sense.

Thanks, I will try my dealer.

Interestingly some of you are on 205 55s other 60s, some on 215 section. More googling needed or TP to the rescue....hint!

You called :giggle:

205/55 R16 94H are the official winter tyre size recommended by the manufacturer, if you intend to fit snow chains to the front wheels. Downside is your speedo etc. will be over reading; 60 indicated will be about 55 true.

215/60 R16 95H are standard spec for the Yeti; lower spec in the UK lower to middle spec everywhere else and make a good choice if fitting particularly steel rims but have no intention of using chains.

205/50 R17 93H for use with the Flash winter alloy wheel, which also allows chains to be fitted at the front; most expensive route and rarely seen in use. Oh I have seen photo's of Skoda UK supplied press cars with this size tyre on standard Dolomite alloys but with the Dolomite etc. being a 7J width rim chains could be a no go'er on the front.

205/60 R16 96H not officially approved by the manufacturer but used by some owners, due to having a similar rolling circumference to the standard 17" tyre, therefore overcoming the speedo thing with the 205/55 tyre. Still cannot use chains with this I suspect and iffy on insurance no doubt.

Forgot the 'sports' size 225/50 R17 94H or V can be used as a winter but potentially the wider footprint is less effective in snow, however owners running this size have not found issues so far.

Hope of help,

TP

• Like 1

Its just a shame that you cant do try and buy.

There really is a world of difference with winter tyres, however there is just as big a world in "opinions".

I spend 5 days driving a mercedes vito Rear wheel drive "winter nightmare", winter tyres make a BIG difference.

however, 2 wheel FRONT wheel drive Yeti, std supplied tyres, went every where the Merc couldnt.

All I will add is if you DO ,dont buy cheap.....

You called :giggle:

215/60 R16 95H are standard spec for the Yeti; lower spec in the UK lower to middle spec everywhere else and make a good choice if fitting particularly steel rims but have no intention of using chains.

Hope of help,

TP

TP....thanks....Now to start pricing