Winter tyres.... do I need them

33q

Yes because they have "summer" tyres on and I want to save my steel wheels with winter tyres for next year. First time with winter tyres so we'll see how it goes and it will all depend on how many negative comments I get about my car with " cheapo wheels". May sell them and get all weather tyres on the alloys.

Bob

wey hey, another Yeti in Livingston with steelies and winter tyres - if you get too much abuse we can meet up and form a support group

:giggle:

• Like 1

Swapped my wheels over today - biggest issue? I stood on the plastic tweezery things that pull off the nut covers, fiddle!

Before the swap

2012-11-02125210.jpg

After the swap

2012-11-02135745.jpg

Yes ... I know they are Audi centres, I was hoping the Skoda ones would fit, but they seem to sit in a boss that is smaller in diameter than the standard 57mm hole.

So now its Ebay hunting time

• Like 1

OK. Personally.

You don't get a choice when you buy a car, it comes with wheels. Now to me whether they are alloy or steel doesn't matter, as long as they are round and I can buy tyres for them easily.

If we had a choice at purchase I would probably choose silver steel wheels.

The whole point for me is that alloy wheels are lighter than steels, but my spitz bergs weigh about the same as my steel wheels, so what is the advantage. Looks are NOT an advantage. They are bling and belong on gangster BMW's & Mercs :lol:

If I had been given the option of steels or extra for alloys, my car would be on steels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Having buckled 2 steel wheels, which probably would have written off an alloy, I'm glad my wheels are Steel.

I am also very tempted to change the alloys for steels as I prefer the ride on the 16" steels.

Yes.

Here's a recent review of all-weather tyres which may be of interest:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

The best quote for GoodYear Vector 4 seasons 225/50 R17 that I can find is £164 for a V rated (fitted) and £156 for H rated. Has anyone actually had these fitted to their vehicle?

My insurance company says to tell them if I do get them fitted and they'll note it.

I wonder how the weight of a steel wheel compares to an alloy. I'm only wondering as I'm finding it difficult enough to lift an alloy with a winter tyre onto the car. Thank goodness for the lug bolt guide tools. Comes of being a BOF I suppose. :zzz:

As regards alloy compared to steel there is the unsprung weight argument but I suppose that it's of little consequence unless you intend racing or rallying the beastie. :o

I wonder how the weight of a steel wheel compares to an alloy. I'm only wondering as I'm finding it difficult enough to lift an alloy with a winter tyre onto the car. Thank goodness for the lug bolt guide tools. Comes of being a BOF I suppose. :zzz:

As regards alloy compared to steel there is the unsprung weight argument but I suppose that it's of little consequence unless you intend racing or rallying the beastie. :o

Roughly the same. No weight saving advantage for having 'lightweight' alloy wheels.

Here's a recent review of all-weather tyres which may be of interest:

http://www.tyrerevie...n-Tyre-Test.htm

The best quote for GoodYear Vector 4 seasons 225/50 R17 that I can find is £164 for a V rated (fitted) and £156 for H rated. Has anyone actually had these fitted to their vehicle?

My insurance company says to tell them if I do get them fitted and they'll note it.

Bobdog has them on Betty up in the Pennines and thinks they are the dogs b--l-cks!

I only got the Moons to use up the credit for delivery delay last year (it paid for 3 wheels but not the Winters) The GW3`s are great and will soon be back on, Just after swapping back to summer in early April we has some late spring snow and the Pirellis were not at all good in the couple of inches of soft snow.

My original DSG test drive was on a summer Dunlop car and coincided with a very cold icy day and a good covering of snow and they did very well but not a patch on proper winters.

I'm looking into this as well, Local dealer today quoted ~£230 for 4 Skoda 16 inch steel wheels and a tad over a ton a corner for some winter 215/60 H16 Skugg boots fitted (Nokian? I think). I need to decide between this set up or spending an extra ton for 4 alloys given the extra cost for wheel trims on the steels... I know my insurance will not give an orangutans rear orifice if I go the steel route but in my humble opinion the after market 16 alloys look so much better although arguably more fragile....

I'm not looking at driving all over the place in freezing bad weather, just being able to control the car better for cornering and stopping as at the end of the day we travel the speed of the slowest vehicle on the lanes....

• Like 1

I understand that it's a requirement to have Winters fitted in Austria during the winter period. Some of the main roads show a snow flake symbol from Sept to some time in Spring. I'm unsure what happens if you drive without the right tyres.

Wish I'd done something about it.

My commute in winter is in darkness both ways, so no-one sees the steel wheels!
i sit in the car so i don't see the steel wheels. I've been driving skodas since the estelle was the latest model so clearly I'm not too bothered about what other people may think :lol:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I was late to the winter tyre debate, feeling that it was a bit like Emperor's New Clothes - until, that is, I watched a video courtesy of Auto Express!

That video, assuming it is genuine, was completely convincing. It showed the difference in stopping distances in the cold and wet - and that is something that is far more common than snow and ice!

The final bit of decision-making arose because I just happened to need new tyres last October, and because finances were extremely tight I opted for Winter Contis on the existing alloy wheels, bought from the dealer who then stored my summer Dunlops for me. Not only was the dealer competitive on price, but the storage of my tyres has been FOC too.

And as for the "looks" of steel versus alloy in winter - mine are usually so encrusted with crud, mud, grass, and hedge trimmings that it really doesn't worry me.

Had Event tyres fit four Goodyear vector all season on V rating for £590 all in and they came to me! Very impresssed and they knew where to jack the car up! Not sure how far Event Tyres travel but highly recommend them!

Not sure how far Event Tyres travel but highly recommend them!

Sorry we do not cover your postcode NG15

Unfortunately we do not cover the postcode NG15

Remember that we come to you though so why not check both your home and work postcodes

Width: 215Width1251351451551651751851952052152252302352452552652752852953030531315323253333534535355750 Profile: 60Profile3540455055606570758085 Size: 16Rim Size15161718 Postcode:

What £153 each

Yup: http://allams.netdirector.co.uk/product/Yeti_Dolomite_Alloy_Wheel_CCH630002 - if you're going to buy alloys specifically for winter, surely it makes sense to at least get a cheap used set off fleabay rather than pay dealer price for brand new?

(P.S. Given that the Yeti SE with alloys costs £500 more then the E with steels, I utterly fail to see how steel wheels make a £20K car look like a £12K car - by my maths they make it look like a £19.5K car! Actually, to me they make it look like a car which has been prepared for harsh seasonal conditions. Up here north of Hadrian's Wall that makes sense. Maybe less so in, for example, Surrey.)

• Like 1

I'm going for 4 Vredestein Wintracs 17s (£572 fitted, balanced etc) from a garage in Birmingham.

Buying a set of Dolomites from Allams who were cheapest at £153.

Well done. I don't require or need winter tyres. If I did, I would certainly put them on a spare set of alloys instead of steelies, like you have done yourself. Anyway, why do people have to criticise someone who want to retain or better the appearance of their car. If you like steelies fine - if not then that's OK as well.