Vrs Tyres? - which ones?

Sorry I guess this thread has been done before but I'm struggling choosing tyres for my vrs Diesel.

Choices are

Rainsport 2's

Vredestein - I know these used to be recommended is centro or vorti best or have they been superceeded?

Toyo PROXES - which ones if any?

Falken FK 452

Michelin Pilot Sport 3's

Goodyear Eagle Assymetric 2's

I was initially looking at the rainsport 2's however I've aldo seen that pilot sport 3's have a better rating in the wet (A rather than B )

Are the last two tyres Ps3 and assymetric 2 a more premium tyre than the others?

Too much choice and I'm confused, the car currently has conti 2's which came from new, these are ok but it appears there are better options. I don't absolutely hammer the car but want a decent tyre which is safe in the wet, handles well in the dry and doesn't wear like mad (yeah ok I want it all). Current tyres lasted 18k, any advice or thoughts / warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry I guess this thread has been done before but I'm struggling choosing tyres for my vrs Diesel.

Choices are

Rainsport 2's

Vredestein - I know these used to be recommended is centro or vorti best or have they been superceeded?

Toyo PROXES - which ones if any?

Falken FK 452

Michelin Pilot Sport 3's

Goodyear Eagle Assymetric 2's

I was initially looking at the rainsport 2's however I've aldo seen that pilot sport 3's have a better rating in the wet (A rather than B )

Are the last two tyres Ps3 and assymetric 2 a more premium tyre than the others?

Too much choice and I'm confused, the car currently has conti 2's which came from new, these are ok but it appears there are better options. I don't absolutely hammer the car but want a decent tyre which is safe in the wet, handles well in the dry and doesn't wear like mad (yeah ok I want it all). Current tyres lasted 18k, any advice or thoughts / warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I put Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2, on the front of my vRs, after reading the reviews and for £105 a corner, I don't think you can go far wrong with them...

I'm running the Assymetric 2s and have done for the past year. They're excellent tyres wet and dry and I can't recommend them highly enough. Grippy, quiet, seem to be wearing well (4mm left on fronts after 12000 miles of, shall we say, 'spirited' driving.) Certainly better than the Toyo TR1s that they replaced.

If you know someone with a costco card you can get ps3's albeit you have to buy 4 for 20% off so 410(roughly) for 4 fitted, also if you dont need 4 keep the receipt and they will fit the remaining tyres for free if you return within 12 months.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the same dilemma !!

If moving from Conti2s (directional tyre) to Michelin PS3s (non-directional) is there a need I get the tracking re-adjusted ?

I'm only a few miles from Costco Watford and need 4 tyres soon.

Had Rainsports on a Fabia VRS. Great tyres but pick up stones a lot due to tread pattern and don't for the love of god ever kerb them or go over potholes - the sidewalls are really weak and they'll bulge requiring replacement.

My choice is either Eagle F1 or PS3 based on what I've had. The Dunlops (Sport Maxx) that came with the car were not bad but noisy. Due to rear alignment issues they weren't on the car long enough for me to comment much more.

I had the same decision to make recently, I ended up going with continental sport contact 3's. Really happy with these tyres, tried Vredestien, Dunlops and Toyos in the past but prefer the continentals.

We went for Continental Sport Contact 5s. Always had good performance and tyre life from Continentals apart from in the snow, but we use winter tyres now so that's not an issue for us.

Depends a little on a budget if you have one. Ive avoided Dunlops and gone for the Falkens 452's of late. Like them a lot, especially as they come cheaper than a lot of other brands. Toyo T1-R is a good tyre too....not tried others but Conti's are good too.

Ive got mich ps3's deffo recommend!

Very good in the wet in fact did me proud about 20mins ago when i hit a BIG puddle that i wasnt expecting to be there haha

Edited by Glynn

Thanks for replies, I'm tempted by the f1 assymetrics, would go for the costco tyres if I needed 4 as they work out at £410 for 4 ps3's but I only need 2, so far I have 2 x F1's for £216 delivered by camskill with £12 each to fit by my local tyre guy.

Or I may pay an extra £20 and get 2 for £260 from Halfords online... just a bit nervous with the Halfords mechanics!

I have run and continue to run rainsport 2s on my VRS PD. Great tyre, high grip in dry, and brilliant grip in the wet (which we have alot of). road noise can be a little high and newly laid roads but other than that fine. I tend to get 18k from the front sets and around 34-36k from the rears. I drive quite hard and love to show the car a corner or 2 at pace.

I can get mine for £100 al in per tyre from a local dealer

i did have the sport contact 2s on when i picked the car up and took them off only having covered 3000 miles as they were awful and would aquaplane just at the shear thought of a puddle.

Just my 2p worth...

I recently fitted Falken 452s to the front, and very pleased with the results... The 2 were just over £150 delivered from Camskill, although I notice they have increased to £78 per tyre recently.

The 452s seem grippy enough in the wet, and fairly quiet running.

• Like 1

I have got vredestein ultrac sessantas all round on mine got the rears from black circles and the fronts from my tyres.co.uk paid 115 per corner fitted. Amazing in the wet giving you a lot of confidence also good in the dry if a touch noisy. Definitely better than the kumho ecsta sports I had on the front when I bought the car which span under the lightest of throttle inputs in the wet.

I know other threads have mentioned auto express tyre reviews which I have used in the past but they always seem to choose ultrac centos which are more of an Eco tyre, you could also check out the evo tyre tests where driver feel is considered alongside the purely scientific approach of auto express.

My tyres also list tyre reviews on their website next to the tyres

Im thinking of Dunlop sportmaxx RT..they have an A rating for wet and a very quiet ride at 68db...has anyone tried these (and they are £118 a corner from tyreshopper)

I bought my VRS second hand and it had two of these on the front. I will not be replacing them with more of the same the same, that's for sure. Slippage under load is frightening in the slightest wet, cornering average although I haven't noticed any problems with braking (touch wood).

I have falkens on the back and they seem good. I am in a diesel VRS now but my previous was a petrol with 220bhp and I found tw Bridgestone Potenza to be very good.

Well, I've been using Michelin PS on my previous two Mondeos. The last car was an ST TDCI, used Michelin PS3s on it, was getting about 18,000 miles per set and they got replaced roughly annually when the Glasgow Costco were doing their special!

On the Mondeo before that, it was Michelin Pilots......might have been PS2 towards the end of me owning it.....tried Goodyear F1s once as a means to try to save money...but they wore so quickly it turned out to be a false economy.....wouldn't touch Goodyears again since that experience!

My plan on the vRS (a petrol as my mileage has dropped off) is to let the Contis that are on it wear out...and then I'm probably back to Michelin PS3s......

Thanks for all the replies

I've gone for the Goodyear F1 assymetric 2's

I got these online from Halfords, they seem to be doing an push online at the moment, the price quoted was £260 for 2 I got a further £5 per tyre off by quoting an online code "TYRES" or "TYRE" can't remember which, and bought them via top cashback (the code was also supplied by top cashback so it wont invalidate the cashback) on a cashback credit card - so hopefully the final cost will be £235 for 2.

Slippy as hell as to be expected before they bed in but will let you know how they go... and how they wear!

Where do you get F1s fully fitted, that will last 18000 miles from? i may consider if they are that cheap

Shop around, your find them, as for millage, they may last 18k depending on how treated, the uni's will cover more miles. The F1's are a softer compound than uni's but will out perform on grip level's & feedback, depends what you want, know what I value. .