Sports Personality of the Year 2012

Coops

Sports Personality Of The Year 2012  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Simple - who should be crowned SPOTY?

• Nicola Adams
    • Ben Ainslie
    • Jessica Ennis
    • Mo Farah
    • Katherine Grainger
    • Chris Hoy
    • Rory McIlroy
    • Andy Murray
    • Ellie Simmonds
    • Sarah Storey
    • David Weir
    • Bradley Wiggins

Let me play Devil's Advocate for a short time and sit on the fence - all these nominees are professional sportsmen and women, who will have trained long and hard for the chance to compete at the highest level. I don't doubt their commitment for one minute.

But was Jessica Ennis' Olympic title not expected, had Bradley not trained for months and built up his performance to win the TdF, was it not just a matter of time before Murray actually won something.

Don't get me wrong I have massive admoration for these sportsmen & women, having swum competitively from the age of 10 until my mid 20s I know the commitment that they put in.

For me I'm torn between 4 people at present - Nicola Adams, Ben Ainslie, David Weir and Bradley Wiggins.

I thought it was pretty much generally accepted that Wimbledon is the highest eschelon of tennis?? Certianly not olympics, still a great achievement though. Same idea as football as the olympics is no where near the highest eschelon of achievemnt in this sport, by a country mile.

The reason Andy Murray's achiemevents are so good is probably partly related to the years of dissapointment in british tennis so when we finally win something worth mentioning it kinda gets blown out of proportion a bit.

Dont get me wrong i like hims and what he did was amazing but i feel others have achieved a higher level of success i.e wiggens.

Post 2012 Games, I think you'll find that the players themselves are less convinced that Wimbledon is still more prestigeous than an Olympic Gold.

Post 2012 Games, I think you'll find that the players themselves are less convinced that Wimbledon is still more prestigeous than an Olympic Gold.

You might be right. Ask Andy Murray if hed rather have won Wimbledon as opposed to the olympics. Id bet he would rather have won wimbledon. Pure speculation but just my gut instinct. Certainly olympic tennis is very near the pinacle of the sport, as you say it may even be the pinacle so its a close call plus beating the 2 best players in the world on his way to the gold almost makes it worthy of a platinum medal.

Nicola Adams all day long.

She came from very humble beginnings and could have easily gone the wrong

way in life by her own admission.

Then discovered boxing which taught her discipline and respect and has never looked

back. Such a positive role model and a great attitude.

Also comes across as a really cheerful person as well.

Worthy of the title sports personality of the year

Unlike some of the droning bores who mumble away about stats and personal bests etc.

She deserves everything she gets.

And I am not a sports fan at all but seeing her on tv during the olympics I was actually

interested to hear what she had to say unlike most of 'em. Very smiley girl.

Ennis will win though as she is considered attractive but to me she is as boring as they

come.

• Like 1

beating the 2 best players in the world on his way to the gold.

That really makes the achievement worthy IMO. And facing the same opponent who had beaten him at Wimbledon in the final, only this time he destroyed him on the same court as before.

I think it's going be be a very close vote this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick bump as it's happening tonight,

It would be nice if a Paraolympian won for a change, but I have a feeling it will be Wiggo.

Shame there's no Victoria Pendleton or Lara Trott on the list as I followed them in the Olympics.

The poll on here was in favour of Wiggo.

I agree.

Three weeks, an average of 200km each day, average speed above 30mph, going up mountains that an ordinary car would struggle to get up and then coming down the other side at anything up to 45 to 50mph with the vehicular entourage struggling to keep up.

Nuff said.

• Like 2

If you haven't seen it, this is the results of the official phone voting:

Total votes: 1,626,718

1. Bradley Wiggins - 492,064 (30.25%)

2. Jessica Ennis - 372,765 (22.92%)

3. Andy Murray - 230,444 (14.17%)

4. Mo Farah - 131,327 (8.07%)

5. David Weir - 114,633 (7.05%)

6. Ellie Simmonds - 102,894 (6.33%)

7. Sir Chris Hoy - 42,961 (2.64%)

8. Nicola Adams - 35,560 (2.19%)