Water Ingress.....Found the source guys and its not rear doors..

So after much searching I have found the source of my "misting" in the car. I have fixed the rear door seals a long time ago and have dry carpets etc

Water runs down the side of the boot and sits on the rubber seal which runs across the trunk...

Please see picture below..

How can i solve this? Anyone had this before.....

IMAG0267-1.jpg

I have the same problem and would be interested to know how to fix it! At the minute my car is misting up so badly!

Apart from this I would happily keep the car. But the problem is so bad I am considering selling up and buying something else. We have a babby on the way and the VRS would have been ideal.

However, The misting can be dangerous as it leads to poor visibility..

Have you checked to make sure the rear washer jet hose hasn't popped off, which can happen? Also check for debris around the rear light clusters and make sure there's nothing blocking the water from draining properly away. Check also the seals integrity for cracks or if anywhere has perished.

Have you checked to make sure the rear washer jet hose hasn't popped off, which can happen? Also check for debris around the rear light clusters and make sure there's nothing blocking the water from draining properly away. Check also the seals integrity for cracks or if anywhere has perished.

Rear jet hose is fine...

This only happens when it rains and only then. The strap is not the problem either...as it does not come between the rubber seal when the hatch is closed.

I do have some GummiPlefdge..will use this when it dries up. Might bring the seal back...

Terrible design IMHO

Edited by Beancounter1980

Im in the same boat mate, iv tried changing the pollen filter which has helped a little. I also checked all my carpets and they are fine, I have the same problem as you mister beancounter the water sits on the boot rubber and once iv lifted the boot the water/rain is all over the base of the bootlid.

There are no nicks or rips in the seal whatsoever. Is it worth buying a new boot seal to try?

Anybody else had this problem and rectified it?

Edited by redcupraboy

Interesting thread, i get misting on my 2006 1.9TDI Elegance and have not got wet carpets, i have noticed water sitting on the rubber, but can this alone cause the misting ..... seems a little water for a lot of condensation ???

I have this too, a few weeks ago the rain was very heavy and the strap used for closing the boot was damp. Over time my spare wheel well fills too which must be from this running down in. How do we sort this out? Really ****ing me off lol

I closed the boot monday morning after putting my work gear in there and found the pull strap to be **** wet through.

Question: is the pull strap long enough to get trapped by the seal and soak up water?

As it was monday morning I just thought f***ing hell, jumped in the car and drove to work.

I'll check properly at the weekend.

The MK2 Octys suffer exactly the same too. When you look at that part of the seal Skoda have put small holes on top instead of underneath the seal. Design mistake and the new ones are even the same. When you squash the seal with your fingers water squirts out and runs into the boot. Many of us have made small holes (about 3) underneath the seal so the water escapes outwards and not into the channel and the into your boot. Works a treat BUT doesn't really stop the misting problem as all the Octavias do it but will stop water ingress.

Hope this helps some of you :)

MISTING, POOLING WATER, DAMP SODDEN CARPETS - AAAARGH!!

SERIOUSLY, HAS ANYONE THOUGHT ABOUT A BRISKODA GROUP-WIDE APPROACH TO SKODA DEMANDING AN OFFICIAL RECALL TO SORT THIS OUT?

I GET A LITTLE P*SSED OFF THAT OTHER MANUFACTURERS LIKE TOYOTA ARE UP-FRONT AND ANNOUNCE A RECALL FOR MILLIONS OF CARS WHEN SOMETHING SUBSTANTIAL COMES TO LIGHT.

I'VE JUST HAD TO PAY £120 QUID FOR THE REAR DOOR SEALS TO BE DONE - DEALER ADVISES SKODA WON'T PAY FOR THIS OUT UNDER WARRANTY I HAVE WITH THE CAR AS IT'S (JUST) OVER 5 YEARS OLD (I'M STILL PURSUING THIS DIRECT WITH SKODA). ALSO, QUITE A LAUGH THAT SKODA SEES IT FIT TO SELL A DOOR SEAL REPAIR KIT - WHY, IF THERE'S NOT BEEN A DESIGN ISSUE?

BTW, MY WINDOWS STILL MIST UP BADLY AND NOTICE MY CARPETS ARE STILL DAMP.

DON'T GET ME WRONG, I LOVE MY VRS AND ALWAYS WANTED ONE, BUT THESE LITTLE NIGGLES AND SKODA'S 'HIDING BEHIND PROTOCOL' IS MAKING ME THINK OF THROWING IN THE TOWEL AND GOING JAPANESE.

AT LEAST WHEN ISSUES - AS GENUINE AS LEAKING DOORS AND MISTING WINDSCREENS COMPROMISING SAFETY ARISE - THEY FESS UP, NO MATTER WHAT IT DOES TO THEIR REPUTATION.

YOUR THOUGHTS WELCOME.

ROB

PS. SORRY FOR THE ANGRY TYPING - NOTHING PERSONAL (OF A KIND)

• Like 1

I don't have the time to do it myself at present. I'll be getting it back through work expenses (don't ask how hehe)

Anyway, that's not the point! Surely this should have been a recall by Skoda - or are 'we' just the sort that put up with things like this?

I work in property development. If i had procured windows and doors that leaked (ie. not fit for purpose) would the home owner just accept me saying "there's no problem - but i'll sell you a tube of sealant to sort the repair yourself?" My company's reputation would be in the gutter!

Surely, we're all mugs if we took that stance?

Edited by robstaaaar

Rear window all frosted on inside and all car soaking inside on all sides once again and strap soaking wet once again. Obviously the water travels between the boot line and the inner trunk when the hatch is closed.

Pile of cack. Will look on weekend too.

Please keep this thread updated with solutions guys...

Possibly all kinds of different water leaks being described on this thread.. If you really want to fix it yourself, you'll need to do a water test instead of just guessing at stuff. Remove all the interior trims you can and get the hose on it.

BTW, MY WINDOWS STILL MIST UP BADLY AND NOTICE MY CARPETS ARE STILL DAMP.

If you haven't taken the underfelt out of the car to dry it out properly then it's not been fully fixed.

I will be sealing the drivers side rear door on mine tomorrow. The passenger side was fixed under warranty.

What I don't understand is why the **** they didn't do both sides!!! Idiots.

Just a thought that i don't think has been mentioned on here..

9n polos have a TPI regarding water leaks + we used to do alot where u couldn't find a leak but water/ mist was getting in around the front area...

When u remove both front wings there is factory body sealant around the chassis + holes could be seen where it hadn't been sealed propperly..

The solution was to grind the old sealant off + re-seal using VW's grey body sealant although im sure any thick body sealant would work.

The area of sealant was behind the wheel arches (they need to be removed).. and it was at the rear of the arch around where the indicator would be..

Just thought i would mention this as fabia's have the same chassis ;)