Headlights faded.... what to do

You could mop them, problem with that is that you'd need to reseal them otherwise in a couple of months you'd be back to square one. Mine have done it so I've just upgraded to new ones with the black inserts. Bought one that needs a slight repair (still new) for a tenner and another will cost me around £40. £50 for a pair, sell the others on for like £20, can't complain too much. You could perhaps try the same?

The black inserts makes for a nice upgrade too :)

Just a micron abrasive rated polish I'm sure, just nothing too abrasive (i.e. **** old T cut and toothpaste are right out :p )

If you want the best, its 3M Finesse-It. Factory approved micro polish. Expensive though. That G3 stuff you have, not heard of it but sounds alright on face value, better than T cut anyway.

My mate at work is doing this as a side line, from what he says he uses a series of buffers/polishes to get it 'as new'. He told me something like £40 for both and showed me before and after shots.

Where abouts are you Gaz? No where down the south west??

polishing alone can work, but I much prefer wet sanding as it achieves the level of cut required in a shorter timeframe. I can usually do a pair of headlights in half an hour

1) Wash

2) Clay

3) WET 1500 grit

4) WET 2000 grit

5) Dry thoroughly

6) Cutting compound on tough pad, rotary

7) milder polish, rotary

8) mild polish like Autoglym SRP on dual action polisher

As plastic anyway, should not need to seal. You are basically restoring the plastic back to a new layer like they would have come with originally. :thumbup:

For real bad headlights I may even use 1200 grit, possibly even 800 grit paper. it won't matter as the 1500 and 2000 smooths it off for polishing anyway.

I wet sanded a pair of Leon headlights over Xmas which had gone real bad. Light output after was vastly improved.

• Like 1

I might have to get the G220 out this weekend. I've tried a bit of wet and dry and polish a while back. But they still looked poo.

I might take the whole thing out and stick it on the bench.

If not i will buy new ones. Seems a bit extreme buying new but kind of makes sense.

Thanks for the input.

Gaz

If you wet & dried, and polished and they still looked bad, either the polishing stage after the wet & dry was not effective (they do look real bad initially after wet & dry) or your marks/damage for some reason is on the insides of the lens'

I got some stuff called micromesh from work its basically 2000 grit cloth that I used wet, it took a little while but it worked. But devonutopia sounds like he knows what he's on about, I'd follow what he said if i were going to do it again..

As said, wet sand them. If you do it right they will look like new and it won't come back in a few months as you are down to a nice new layer of plastic.

I did my mate's Impreza a few months back and the headlights were like new after it. Used Menzerna on them after the wet sanding then a nice coat of Rain-X over the top.

I got some stuff called micromesh from work its basically 2000 grit cloth that I used wet, it took a little while but it worked. But devonutopia sounds like he knows what he's on about, I'd follow what he said if i were going to do it again..

I was wrong I was getting the (push) bike out of the shed and its 12000 grit... and it did take forever... but I've found some 4000 for next time.

12000 grit? Is that even slightly rough? :D I have some 2500 and 3000 at home, and that barely touches the surface.

The challenge is the ability to use REALLY rough paper. ;) I have some 240 grit at home for special occasions :D

I just did the missus Mpi, along with my Astra MK4..mine were slightly clouded, hers were opaque, you couldn't see the bulbs!

Polishing mop, drill on low speed, spray bottle of water, T-Cut. Keep it wet, keep it moving, check often for clarity.

40 minutes or so, both cars have nice sparkly lenses. I will wax them when the baby wakes up, but I'm quite happy with the result. Lets see them quibble on the MOT now, shall we...it had been flagged on the "check up" I had done a month or 2 back.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just done my 3rd set of Fabia lights.

I use 2000 wet/dry with soapy water, then T cut.

I am sure the result is not "as new" but it meets mot needs and looks a whole lot better while only taking about 15 mins all-in.

I did a search on here and elsewhere to see if I needed any surface coating to act as an UV barrier but the consensus seems to be - not reqd.