Retro gaming, anyone here into it?

MattyD

I still have a a Commodore 64 sat up in the loft with load's of games for it, know one of the games was Monty on the Run, also had Total Recall and Robocop and some 'Need for speed' style game which I can't remember the name of.

Most of this stuff is older than me! :sun:

Oldest thing I've got is a PS2, and before that I owned a MegaDrive, that's pretty much my entire gaming history. Wouldn't mind getting one of the older units (Atari, BBC etc rather than PS era) just to have a mess around and see what's what with them.

The so called elite rerelease is actually an entirely new game based off of the same idea as the original and by a team led by the original developers. Its called Elite: Dangerous. Expect modern graphics so high polys, fancy sharers and some wickedly cool lighting effects. Multiplayer has also been confirmed.

I have a loft full of consoles and computers going back to my Dragon 32.........

I didn't think anyone else would remember the Dragon! My son started his career learning programming on it while still at school. Our Dragon is in the loft, too.... :nerd:

I didn't think anyone else would remember the Dragon! My son started his career learning programming on it while still at school. Our Dragon is in the loft, too.... :nerd:

I've actually got a pair of them. Mine and my Grandad's one. Not surprisingly his is in far better condition and mine has all the games.

I've actually got a pair of them....

Another coincidence! We've also got one of his mate's Dragon - donated for spares. Do yours have the original keyboards, which were a common problem I seem to remember? We had to replace one, which was the biggest soldering job I ever did. But it did actually work afterwards!

That's not retro. LOL first, I had a black and white Grandstand sports games machine

with ping pong and a lightgun on a wire.

Then my first colour console was a mattel intellivision. (I wanted an Atari really)

And my first PC was an Amstrad CPC464, the games were on audio tapes

and took forever to load.

Wish I still had them now. The current machines do amaze me when I

remember what I started playing.

Couldnt agree more about current consoles. The young uns slag them off for being old tech and desparetely needing replaced but they only think this as they have never experienced the joys of Atari 2600, spectrum 48k, spectrum 128k, Atari ST, Commodore Amiga, Old 100hz pre-pentium PC, PS1, PS2, Newer PC rig, then fianlly Xbox 360.

You cant beat a C120 tape full of games from your mate and a double tape deck to copy it. Copyright prevention?? What was that again,???

Or ten minute load times on the spectrum only to get a "loading error" at the end of it thus requiring a tiny alteration to the volume and a retry. The joys.

I saw a replica Atari 2600 for sale inline somewhere and it comes pre-installed with every game ever made for it. That would be fun. Loved "combat" on that console. Or pitfall. Ace fun.

I also remember the grandstand console you mentioned although our realatives owned it rather than us. Greta fun.

Yoy cant fully appreciate todays consoles unless you have experienced these old units.

I can still remember palying "carrier command" on my Atari ST. I came with 4 floppy discs, me and my mate were gobsmacked by this thinking the game must be awesome as it needs 4 discs. It actually was awesome. Tried the demo of the latest verison on xbox live. An oportunity missed im afraid they could have done it better with the new one if they had actually tried. Shame.

Dont really play retro games now as these old games were only good at the time, playing them now just highlights how far things have moved on plus i only get limited gaming time nowadays so dont want to waste a second of it living in the past.

If your still running hardware loading from tapes just for the nostalgia consider recording the tapes into audacity, you can attempt to remove a little distortion before loading them all up onto an mp3 player or smartphone and just plug that in, the audio output is much clearer and more consistant than the tape assuming the recording on the phone is good in the first place. There are ways to convert downloaded roms into audio formats too.

• Administrators

Found a box of PsOne games, though aye aye, off to the ps3 I went. Oh my god.. I could not actually see much, anyone got a ps3 to 14" 4:3 telly convertor?

I do have fond memoires of sitting in the lounge tapping away on the Ti99, equiv to bbc, com, spectrum, or setting the tape machine to play before lunch, knowing in 30 minutes I'd be able to play harrier attack or similar.

Arh the joy of planning fun time :) Then some sod invented floppy drives,

Maybe I should revisit this, I went to a game store, looked at the shelf. About 4 minutes later I shrugged, nothing, nothing at all called to me. Came home, opened up minecraft again, got bored of that after an hour too.

Course you can, its no different to growing up with the PS1, PS2, PS3....... :)

PS1 cant be compared to a spectrum 48k not by a long shot. PS1 is not retro IMO. Maybe when the PS7 is out is would be the same as the spectrum but a console only 2 generations old isnt that big a culture shock compared to a modern console.

PS1 still looks pants but have you actually played a spectrum?? The graphics where dire and the games were totally incomparable to the type of offerings today. The format of PS1 ganmes is the same basic format we still see today.

if any of you are into older PC games, try www.gog.com. I've bought plenty of classics from them.

+1 for this. Managed for find the special edition of Blood: One Unit Whole and it's huge even by today's standards. Each level is massive and would take me ages to finish properly. Unlike some games where even on hardest settings I've ripped through in less than 6 hours. How times have changed

I have a zx spectrum in the loft, an old tape one. I also have a NES, although the phaser won't work on flat screen TV.

I have a ps2 slimline too, and played toca on it, man those graphics are old school.

My current console is a 360.

The best game/console ever IMO was GoldenEye/GameCube... Mate had that, was so jealous...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I can still remember palying "carrier command" on my Atari ST. I came with 4 floppy discs, me and my mate were gobsmacked by this thinking the game must be awesome as it needs 4 discs. It actually was awesome. Tried the demo of the latest verison on xbox live. An oportunity missed im afraid they could have done it better with the new one if they had actually tried. Shame.

Yes! I remember playing this loads as a kid, was rock solid hard. Never managed to beat that enemy carrier, was a very in depth game for it's time. You can still download it now and play it in windows.

Currently owned and used:

Atari 2600 Woody, NES, Mastersystem, SNES, Megadrive, Gamegear, Gameboy, Xbox 360, PS3, Onlive

Wanted (but SWMBO has said no more for a while!):

PC Engine, Dreamcast, NeoGeo

The dreamcast is my favourite console I've had, very underrated really

Yes! I remember playing this loads as a kid, was rock solid hard. Never managed to beat that enemy carrier, was a very in depth game for it's time. You can still download it now and play it in windows.

No way, i can still play this on windows. Guess what im doing this weekend.