Anybody had their windows tinted?

Wondered how long it would be for someone to pipe up with "there illegal!" I'm well aware of the fact, however its my choice what I have applied not anyone else's!

Excellent - more government income when you get caught - it's like printing money :)

• Like 1

Pics will follow, but my anthracite gray has Quantum film tint (a bit metallic look, not just black, kind of matches the car color in certain angles). I skipped the factory "sunset" package as per dealers advice. My neighbor has a race blue vrs with sunset package - way too light for my taste, on a sunny day it looks like he has no tint at all.

I agree the sunset is pretty feeble. In some lights even mine look like they could do with a tiny bit more (most of the time they look spot on though)

It was EXTREMELY important to bring up the issue of legality. Just because a specific question wasn't asked that doesn't mean extra information isn't given.

Anyone reading this thread will have seen the information on tinting the glass. They might wrongly assume they can do the same and have no risk of prosecution. So it's actually dangerous to not include all if the information in a thread like this.

It has always been "common knowledge" that tinting front glass is a no no because the factory tint already puts the glass at the limit. However it's common knowledge only to those that know!

If people want to break the law through their own choice that is up to them. Don't come crying etc.

If however somebody blindly follows some advice and gets pulled, forced to remove tints there and then or risk fines because there was no information on the same thread that recommended the "mod" then that it just irresponsible.

You're taking it too personally. I didn't attack you, I made the law clear. If you want to break that law then go for your life.

If you want a personal attack - I've never understood the mentality of tinting front glass to any levels, I personally believe it looks tacky and as a "cool mod" fails miserably and to any passing police a pointer you're trying to hide something.

• Like 3

18% tint on rear doors and rear window the next level is limo tint but was advised not to go for limo cos the car has black interior and is to dark inside for visability reversing at night don't know what the front is just told as dark as legally possible so not too get interest from the traffic policepost-57926-0-10074500-1359559081_thumb.jpgpost-57926-0-97250100-1359559145_thumb.jpgpost-57926-0-59952700-1359559178_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Any chance you could post up a picture once you get it done? I phoned a couple of places local to me and it ranged from £180- £240 b-pillar back. The £240 was a place in Altrincham that do Range Rovers and other expensive motors, big difference in price.

Can anyone recommend a window tinting place in the North West?

Pentagon glass tech in heywood are very good. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. I've had three cars done with them and never had any problems. I know they do the glass for certain football clubs cars in the area too

18% tint on rear doors and rear window the next level is limo tint but was advised not to go for limo cos the car has black interior and is to dark inside for visability reversing at night don't know what the front is just told as dark as legally possible so not too get interest from the traffic policepost-57926-0-10074500-1359559081_thumb.jpgpost-57926-0-97250100-1359559145_thumb.jpgpost-57926-0-59952700-1359559178_thumb.jpg

That looks great with the black grille and wheels...

Damn wish I'd got a black one now. :(

Thanks for posting the pics, its exactly the way I want to go with mine. I requested an online quote from Pentagon glass and am still waiting. I'll post up the price when I get it for anyone that is interested.

Couldnt decide between the candy white and the black when I ordered. They both look good but seeing the black with the tints I think I made the right choice.

Just a nightmare to keep clean, swore I would never buy another black car again...

Something nobody mentions although i suppose its obvious is the reduced visibilty in reduced light conditions i had a new Kia Sorento in 2005 and b pillor back was quite dark i found rear vision was quite impaired at night,so i suppose its looks over function in the uk. Good in hot sunny countries thought.

Something nobody mentions although i suppose its obvious is the reduced visibilty in reduced light conditions i had a new Kia Sorento in 2005 and b pillor back was quite dark i found rear vision was quite impaired at night,so i suppose its looks over function in the uk. Good in hot sunny countries thought.

My Octy read is 1 up from limo black. Never found impared visability a problem at night. Perhaps its due to the tints.Mine is moonraker film which I researched and found it to be one of the best.

It also cuts down headlight glare at night. I drive a lot after dark and I really notice the difference when in a different car without tints.

I would tint (properly) my next car due to

1) Security - both what may be on display and tinted glass is harder to smash)

2) Safety - The tint will hold the glass in an accident

3) Cooler in summer - temperature I mean - car doesn't become an oven

4) Less glare at night on unlit motorways

5) It looks good.

As web ferret says, nighttime headlight glare is reduced - mine let in 15% of light (limo is 5% so assume I have the same as WF) and I was slightly worried about how it might be at night but no problems. It obviously does affect visability at night but hardly noticeable after a while - the first time it was a bit offputting at first though.

For me the reason I had them done was functional - when my littlun was born we had te cheap blinds, then the expensive blinds, and none of them were much cop (we didn't go for the all out blinds which are about £180 from skoda as I felt that it was the same price as tinting and wouldn't look as good).

It doesn't have to be a blazing hot day to benefit from it - now the little man is safely sheltered from bright sunlight all year (even in the colder months we can have a bright sunny day) and he can still see out fine, so all is well. It also helps him sleep in the car on the odd occasion we have to drive him anywhere at night.

• 2 weeks later...

I have limo darkness on mine and reversing is fine at night. Don't forget there are side mirrors as well...

My previous car had tinted rear windows when I bought it. Being an honest sort of bloke I told the insurance.

It added £200 to the premium. I removed it.

I'm not a fan of it anyway personally.

Edited by JB-)

My previous car had tinted rear windows when I bought it. Being an honest sort of bloke I told the insurance.

It added £200 to the premium. I removed it.

I'm not a fan of it anyway personally.

Didn't realise it effected insurance !! So in a smash if you haven't informed them you might be stuffed?

Didn't realise it effected insurance !! So in a smash if you haven't informed them you might be stuffed?

Possibly. Perhaps more so if it's stolen and recovered and they see the tint. Insurance companies will use any excuse they can to avoid paying / reduce the payment.