Blackline xenons?

The easiest way to tell if the Octavia vRS has xenon headlights is if it has the headlight washers in the bumper, just under each headlight.

They are a cost option in the UK on the vRS and are not fitted to the Blackline. As it wasn't possible to add factory options to the Blackline none will have factory fit xenon's.

HeadlightWash.jpg

SkodaSuperbHeadlampWash.jpg

Not really been out in dark only once on motorway and didn't think they looked bright!

Just expected it to have them

the difference between halogens and xenons is so big its one of those "if you have to ask then it doesnt" questions

The easiest way to tell if the Octavia vRS has xenon headlights is if it has the headlight washers in the bumper, just under each headlight.

They are a cost option in the UK on the vRS and are not fitted to the Blackline. As it wasn't possible to add factory options to the Blackline none will have factory fit xenon's.

HeadlightWash.jpg

Halogen headlights also lack the little ]-shaped thing next to where it says Octavia.

As above by silver no they don't. Fitting some.nightbreaker 2's or something similar may improve things, but because they put out a better light they tend not to last as long as OE bulbs-think it's because the filaments are thinnerp

My delivery miles pre-reg 12 plate came with them on, although they were a cost option.

PRO's:-

Excellent lighting performance in my opinion ( however the different pattern and type of light produced doesn't suit everyone)

Self levelling feature (hope it keeps working!).

Built in high pressure headlight washers to keep the lens covers clean & shiny..... see cons

Entertainment value / talking point of the self levelling mechanism when it dances the beams around during calibration.

CON's:-

Headlight washers can startle until you get used to them being there, explode into life every 5th screen washer activation when headlights lights on (you can turn onto side lights if street lighting good, assuming you remember how many times the wipers have been operated!)

Headlight washers consume vast quantities of washer fluid, from which much of the overspray ends up covering the front wings and bonnet, unless its raining heavily at the time

Cost a fortune to fix if they fail out of warranty

Would I have paid hundreds of pounds for them as a cost option if they weren't already fitted??.................not really sure yet, will live with them a bit longer before enthusing too much to others but on light performance alone they are much better than the halogens on my 05 Fabia vRS.

• Like 1

When I ordered my Octavia the brochure said that xenon headlights were a FOC option. However I was then told they were not available. When I took delivery of the car the standard halogen lights were awful, so I fitted a set of aftermarket HID xenons..Wow what a difference. like night and day... excuse the pun.

You have to make sure you buy the ones that have the canbus pro ballasts. Cheap kits off Ebay are useless and upset the canbus system. Mine cost about £70 and I fitted them in around an hour. The only small issue is you need to cut the headlamp clip so you can get it over the hid lead. I did mine with a dremel, no big deal. Got mine from HIDs-direct.

When I ordered my Octavia the brochure said that xenon headlights were a FOC option. However I was then told they were not available. When I took delivery of the car the standard halogen lights were awful, so I fitted a set of aftermarket HID xenons..Wow what a difference. like night and day... excuse the pun.

You have to make sure you buy the ones that have the canbus pro ballasts. Cheap kits off Ebay are useless and upset the canbus system. Mine cost about £70 and I fitted them in around an hour. The only small issue is you need to cut the headlamp clip so you can get it over the hid lead. I did mine with a dremel, no big deal. Got mine from HIDs-direct.

If you're talking about the clip I think you are, then you don't need to cut it as it pops off easy enough! I found this the first time changed te bulbs in my last VRS as it fell off and dropped inside the headlight, at which point I feared I'd never get it out again.

Apart from that, general consensus is that non canbus (correctly coded) is preferable and that the londoncolour kits (£27.99 delivered) are the ones to get.

Ill agree about the poor quality standard lights though - although they're better than some cars I've driven and can be made bearable with bulb upgrades if anyone is reluctant to go down the HID route.....

• 1 month later...

anyone tried getting xenons retrofitted from skoda dealer on the BL? would they do it and how much?

i would guess £1k plus due to the parts needed and the labour involved. Edited by Metblackrat
  • Like 1

the difference between halogens and xenons is so big its one of those "if you have to ask then it doesnt" questions

Seems i must be luckier than most of you as my halogens are fine. Last two days i have been using the shogun and it has xenons. Absolutely no noticeable difference whatsoever. Certainly dont see anything on the way to work that i couldnt see before. Missus now drives a rav 4 with projector halogens and she admits the same after changing from the shogun. She can see fine with the lights in her Rav 4 and doesnt miss the xenons one bit. She didnt even know what xenons where when i asked her but thats another matter.

i would guess £1k plus due to the parts needed and the labour involved.

new headlights alone are over a £1k

new bumper, headlight washer parts, control module for xenons, 2x level sensors and the loom

I fitted used xenons to a golf, and it took all day to do wiring, so at least a days labour I would guess

the better option is to find a car with them and add the other bits you want

We have had this discussion before Jock. Next time you're passing, come have a look at mine - headlamps that is!

Why on earth would i want to look at ur headlights?

Merely expressing another viewpoint from a standpoint of experience. Why should i agree with you when i think xenons arent worth it?

U guys are blinkered.

In all my time on numerous forums ive never witnessed such fanboyism for such a trivial thing. Its ridiculous.

If u cant handle somone discussing a different experience of something then tough 5hit. But dont start greeting about it. Its boring and predictable.

'If' I could have specced my Blackline from new then I would have taken Xenon headlights over the inbuilt SatNav without a moments hesitation. That said, the standard headlights are quite good (and seem much improved over the pre-facelift models).

While Xenon headlights are superior to halogens, I don't subscribe to the theory that they are the holy grail of lighting. That said, as with most things I can also see why those that have had them would not want to go back to standard again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1